• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
It's an industry-wide thing. Domestic, Euro, Japanese, Korean--they're all doing it.

That's the Q4 "e-tronnnnnn" interior. I personally don't like this interior styling because it shouts SUV (go figure, the Q4 is an SUV). The whole advantage of having a screen-dominant interior is the ability to reduce dash size, which in turn increases interior volume and improves sightlines. There's been a corresponding trend in horizontally-focused interior designs popping up, with reduced dash surface area and broad spanning trim pieces which I am 1000% all in on.

Raising the dash just to encompass the screen feels like a design compromise if it screws up the lines.

If anyone's getting it right, it's Korea of all places. The somewhat new G90 gets crafty with its screen implementation. That's thinking forward instead of looking back.

genesisg90_102.jpg

1683330152327.png

The lines are clean. The screen doesn't look completely tacked on. No wasted dash surface area. This is what OEs should be thinking about.
To each their own... To me it looks awful. What is this ugly a$$ thing between the two screens? It may or may not serve a certain purpose but that overall design is nothing I would consider at all. Then again I think Asian design language is always... special... to be polite...

I do however, understand and support your argumentation of raising the dash for a bigger screen is a bad idea. However, that always depends on the seating position.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
If living in Korea, cars pricing at the level of a G90 are most often bought by wealthy and executive types. Owners typically have drivers/chauffeurs.

Times past, the Equus was such a car. Always in black with heavily-tinted windows. Always with a chauffeur.

It's a level of car which shows you're either important, have "arrived", or both. While a chauffeur is not required, driving the car by one's self could be seen as losing face. It's also practical for certain types. Koreans, executives in-particular, work extensive hours. With TV and cell, one can be working from the back while the driver navigates the often arduous commute.

Last edited:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
If living in Korea, cars pricing at the level of a G90 are most often bought by wealthy and executive types. Owners typically have drivers/chauffeurs.

Times past, the Equus was such a car. Always in black with heavily-tinted windows. Always with a chauffeur.

It's a level of car which shows you're either important, have "arrived", or both. While a chauffeur is not required, driving the car by one's self could be seen as losing face. It's also practical for certain types. Koreans, executives in-particular, work extensive hours. With TV and cell, one can be working from the back while the driver navigates the often arduous commute.
I wrote lol because he commented with a total non response that deflected the topic, not in denial of chauffeuring the eastern gentry

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
To each their own... To me it looks awful. What is this ugly a$$ thing between the two screens? It may or may not serve a certain purpose but that overall design is nothing I would consider at all. Then again I think Asian design language is always... special... to be polite...

I do however, understand and support your argumentation of raising the dash for a bigger screen is a bad idea. However, that always depends on the seating position.
To each their own for sure. I’m not married to the G90’s specific example but the point was that they take advantage of the strengths mentioned earlier while innovating enough to integrate the screen without compromising the rest of the dash

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
DeMuro: "Touchscreens are good"

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW turbo
I'm not against digital dashes, but I CANNOT stand the glued-on tablet look. It's hideous. I much prefer what Porsche has done with the 911 and I wish we could have gotten something like this. The digital dash in the Bullitt and GT500 was great and incorporated into the dash. I don't get why Ford felt the need to go for the glued on tablet look. It's a shame too because I love what Ford did with the S650 exterior styling and the Gen 4 Coyote, but the dash makes it a no buy for me.
2022-porsche-911-carrera-dashboard-carbuzz-898057-1600.jpg
So it can be done, with a little more work on design. fwiw I like the digital dash in my 2020 but I also love the cockpit feel of the dash in the GT. about buttons vs. screens, I almost drove off the road trying to turn off the heated steering wheel (buried under two menus), which comes on for some reason by itself during winter, using the Sync 3 screen. If I could of just pushed a button on the steering with a little steam on wheel icon instead.

bloominguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
So it can be done, with a little more work on design. fwiw I like the digital dash in my 2020 but I also love the cockpit feel of the dash in the GT. about buttons vs. screens, I almost drove off the road trying to turn off the heated steering wheel (buried under two menus), which comes on for some reason by itself during winter, using the Sync 3 screen. If I could of just pushed a button on the steering with a little steam on wheel icon instead.
Perfect example of what I was talking about in another thread. Sometimes buttons are just better. Why should heated steering wheel control be buried in a menu, two deep? Instead of being (this isn't that hard), as you say, ... a button on the steering wheel!

Tacked on screens aren't the problem. The problem is that manufacturers use them as a crutch, a way to cut corners on design.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
My 2023 Charger ScatPack requires you to open apps built into the system settings to turn the heated steering wheel on/off as well. It’s no big deal really

Damian_21ST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Okay, now that I got your attention, I think it's time to discuss the massive misstep that Ford has made with the S650 - which is the new dashboard.

Personally I think it is atrocious. It has completely ruined one of the key elements that makes a Mustang interior a Mustang and makes it look like any other Mercedes, BMW or Korean SUV.

Now I know that it's the industry trend, everyone is doing it, idiot millennial consumers can't live without it, bla di bla. But the fact to the matter is that this is supposed to be a Mustang and a Mustang has very distinctive design characteristics. Characteristics that Ford marketing brass can't stop talking about when it comes to praising the new design. So why in the world did they feel the need to do away with one of the most important of those very characteristics, which is the beautiful symmetric double brow dash? This is completely wrong. It serves no purpose other than cutting costs on HVAC and other switch gear, and one switch at a time it destroys ergonomics and makes the car unsafer to operate.

It is not out of the blue that other brands who started this stupid fad (like Audi) and who were criticized from day one on the ergonomic repercussions are already reversing this policy and bringing physical switches back in their latest releases. Ford however is running at the back of the field and wasting their time on fancy graphics for switching drive modes, instead of designing an even better positioned toggle switch.

No Mustang driver needs a massive tablet in their car. When you drive a Mustang you are concentrating on driving, on the road and your surroundings. The nicely integrated Sync2/3 screen of S550 did the job perfectly well. In the Mach-E they even did a wonderful and creative job on integrating a soundbar in the double brow, a truly innovative piece of design progress. But instead of bringing that into S650 we get this generic dud and now have to live in a world where Mach-E has a more true to Mustang dashboard that the real Mustang.

This is a disaster.

ford-mustang-2018-dashboard.jpg

2024 Mustang Interior 04.jpg
Quit complaining thats how they made it. Just don’t buy it everyone has something negative to say bc they don’t like one thing just don’t buy it. Your opinion does not matter i think the dash is cool technology evolves cool

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW turbo
My 2023 Charger ScatPack requires you to open apps built into the system settings to turn the heated steering wheel on/off as well. It’s no big deal really
it is when you're trying to drive and see the Sync3 screen at the same time and every light keeps turning green. ;?

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
it is when you're trying to drive and see the Sync3 screen at the same time and every light keeps turning green. ;?
Millions of people drive Tesla's which are all screens and they're able to do everything just fine? It becomes second nature once you learn where everything is located in the infotainment system.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW turbo
Millions of people drive Tesla's which are all screens and they're able to do everything just fine? It becomes second nature once you learn where everything is located in the infotainment system.
key word infotainment... I'm not driving a Mustang GT 5.0 for infotainment. it's all personal preference, when the S650 really hits the market we'll actually see how it does, could be people don't care. It was mentioned that most Mustang owners are not core enthusiast like us forum dwellers, but having attended the S650 reveal ( and being excited enough to go) Ford knows their core enthusiast customers drive a lot of good and/or bad press for the Mustang. In some part I feel they are trying to balance Mustang heritage with a continued ICE platform while appealing to younger buyers (boomers gonna keep getting too old to drive or die). on the personal side, i prefer an interior that says sports car vs. 2024 Explorer.

Note, Tesla the car company whose "Self Driving" has killed people and crashed Tesla's numerous times. I wrote software at one time for a living, never trust it. Nice screen though.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
DeMuro: "Touchscreens are good"

He doesn't get the point. Of course some functions make sense in a touchscreen. You don't need buttons to change radio station / music track. But a wheel to change the volume is better than any touchscreen motion for that. Same goes for some climate control buttons, I prefer any pyhsical button to change temperature over touch screen menus for that. Changing the screen brightness as a wheel is so much easier to adjust than having it hidden in some touchscreen settings.

Prefering buttons doesn't mean everything should be a button. But there are functions that should be just one motion away and not scrolling through 4 menus to get to what you wanted
Sponsored