• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
key word infotainment... I'm not driving a Mustang GT 5.0 for infotainment. it's all personal preference, when the S650 really hits the market we'll actually see how it does, could be people don't care. It was mentioned that most Mustang owners are not core enthusiast like us forum dwellers, but having attended the S650 reveal ( and being excited enough to go) Ford knows their core enthusiast customers drive a lot of good and/or bad press for the Mustang. In some part I feel they are trying to balance Mustang heritage with a continued ICE platform while appealing to younger buyers (boomers gonna keep getting too old to drive or die). on the personal side, i prefer an interior that says sports car vs. 2024 Explorer.

Note, Tesla the car company whose "Self Driving" has killed people and crashed Tesla's numerous times. I wrote software at one time for a living, never trust it. Nice screen though.
Honestly if Ford kept the laughably small screen from the S550 then they would definitely lose sales to others with a high tech interior. One of the main reasons I'm selling my Tesla for the Mustang is because of the interior. I like technology and the screens look great imo. Ford has obviously done their research and realize that people want a more modern looking interior compared to something classic.

Also, what does Tesla's self driving have to do with their screen? Those are two separate entities. I'm not trying to argue about the safety of Full Self Driving, I'm just commenting on the usability of the screen for everyday functions.
Sponsored

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
key word infotainment... I'm not driving a Mustang GT 5.0 for infotainment. it's all personal preference, when the S650 really hits the market we'll actually see how it does, could be people don't care. It was mentioned that most Mustang owners are not core enthusiast like us forum dwellers, but having attended the S650 reveal ( and being excited enough to go) Ford knows their core enthusiast customers drive a lot of good and/or bad press for the Mustang. In some part I feel they are trying to balance Mustang heritage with a continued ICE platform while appealing to younger buyers (boomers gonna keep getting too old to drive or die). on the personal side, i prefer an interior that says sports car vs. 2024 Explorer.

Note, Tesla the car company whose "Self Driving" has killed people and crashed Tesla's numerous times. I wrote software at one time for a living, never trust it. Nice screen though.
Just many folks have died in Mustangs in its history or Pintos or LTDs? All had faults. BTW Tesla has never claimed it had a self-driving car. It has a Level 2 Driver-assisted car.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He doesn't get the point. Of course some functions make sense in a touchscreen. You don't need buttons to change radio station / music track. But a wheel to change the volume is better than any touchscreen motion for that. Same goes for some climate control buttons, I prefer any pyhsical button to change temperature over touch screen menus for that. Changing the screen brightness as a wheel is so much easier to adjust than having it hidden in some touchscreen settings.

Prefering buttons doesn't mean everything should be a button. But there are functions that should be just one motion away and not scrolling through 4 menus to get to what you wanted
You turn down the volume on your steering wheel.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
I want a dial/switch for the active exhaust, magnaride and sport/track and steering mode on the dash.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW turbo
Just many folks have died in Mustangs in its history or Pintos or LTDs? All had faults. BTW Tesla has never claimed it had a self-driving car. It has a Level 2 Driver-assisted car.
Most unfortunate is people die in auto accidents due to theirs or others bad judgement, inattention, faulty defects and other external causations. The don't die from setting a mode in their car and then depend on it to drive it for them, hence the sleeping driver viral pics/video's out there.

Did too... quoted from Insider: Tesla's Full Self-Driving (FSD) kit costs $15,000 to install in the company's electric vehicles, and buyers are treated as beta testers whose feedback improves the technology. So far, around 100,000 people have chosen to add the feature.

ing FeaturesSoftware UpdatesFSD BetaApp UpdatesForumsTipsTesla EventsEaster EggsVoice CommandsAccessoriesGuidesContact

Musk's Bold Prediction: Tesla FSD To Reach Level 4 or Higher This Year
July 9, 2023
By Kevin Armstrong
S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO twitter_18w
S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO reddit_18w
S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO facebook_18w
S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO messenger_18w
S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO email_18w

S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO fsd-beta-v11.3-1

Musk is more specific about his FSD claims this time around
Not a Tesla App
Elon Musk has once again stated Tesla's cars will be fully self-driving by the end of the year. The claim, made during an AI conference in China (video below), is the latest entry in a long string of such predictions from Musk. Despite the seemingly unfaltering progress of Tesla's Full Self-Driving (FSD) technology, the authenticity of Musk's claims has been questioned due to his history of similar yet unfulfilled promises.

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Did too... quoted from Insider: Tesla's Full Self-Driving (FSD) kit costs $15,000 to install in the company's electric vehicles, and buyers are treated as beta testers whose feedback improves the technology. So far, around 100,000 people have chosen to add the feature.

ing FeaturesSoftware UpdatesFSD BetaApp UpdatesForumsTipsTesla EventsEaster EggsVoice CommandsAccessoriesGuidesContact

Musk's Bold Prediction: Tesla FSD To Reach Level 4 or Higher This Year
July 9, 2023
By Kevin Armstrong
twitter_18w.png
reddit_18w.png
facebook_18w.png
messenger_18w.png
email_18w.png

fsd-beta-v11.3-1.jpg

Musk is more specific about his FSD claims this time around
Not a Tesla App
Elon Musk has once again stated Tesla's cars will be fully self-driving by the end of the year. The claim, made during an AI conference in China (video below), is the latest entry in a long string of such predictions from Musk. Despite the seemingly unfaltering progress of Tesla's Full Self-Driving (FSD) technology, the authenticity of Musk's claims has been questioned due to his history of similar yet unfulfilled promises.
I've personally used FSD and don't think it's ready for fully autonomous driving. But it doesn't cost $15,000 to "install". The hardware comes with every car, you just have the option of paying $15,000 to enable it. Or you could do what I've done and subscribe on a month-per-month basis.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
it is when you're trying to drive and see the Sync3 screen at the same time and every light keeps turning green. ;?
No different than many other cars that I’ve driven with screen driven apps that go off as soon as car moves. It’s nothing new, maybe just new for you

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
frankly the thing here that worries me is that youre saying youre messing with these controls while driving (yes, sitting at a stoplight is still driving). the only things you should be messing with while driving is your ac (permanent on the screen) radio volume (on the wheel or with the 1 of 2 knobs in the car) your wipers and your lights (the other knob in the car).

if you need to do anything else that requires looking away for more than a second like a steering wheel heater turning on for no reason, dont be a road hazard, mustangs get enough of a bad rep as it is, pull your ass off the road and do things safely.

remember, an overwhelming majority of accidents are caused by the thing behind the steering wheel.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW turbo
No different than many other cars that I’ve driven with screen driven apps that go off as soon as car moves. It’s nothing new, maybe just new for you
totally, my newest daily is a 2015 Passat TDI. Other than the Mustang I don't buy new anymore.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Honestly if Ford kept the laughably small screen from the S550 then they would definitely lose sales to others with a high tech interior.
I agree. Maybe they're losing sales by keeping the new screens too, but I'm liking the new tech a lot. Probably wouldn't have gotten the S650 otherwise.

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
Okay, now that I got your attention, I think it's time to discuss the massive misstep that Ford has made with the S650 - which is the new dashboard.

Personally I think it is atrocious. It has completely ruined one of the key elements that makes a Mustang interior a Mustang and makes it look like any other Mercedes, BMW or Korean SUV.

Now I know that it's the industry trend, everyone is doing it, idiot millennial consumers can't live without it, bla di bla. But the fact to the matter is that this is supposed to be a Mustang and a Mustang has very distinctive design characteristics. Characteristics that Ford marketing brass can't stop talking about when it comes to praising the new design. So why in the world did they feel the need to do away with one of the most important of those very characteristics, which is the beautiful symmetric double brow dash? This is completely wrong. It serves no purpose other than cutting costs on HVAC and other switch gear, and one switch at a time it destroys ergonomics and makes the car unsafer to operate.

It is not out of the blue that other brands who started this stupid fad (like Audi) and who were criticized from day one on the ergonomic repercussions are already reversing this policy and bringing physical switches back in their latest releases. Ford however is running at the back of the field and wasting their time on fancy graphics for switching drive modes, instead of designing an even better positioned toggle switch.

No Mustang driver needs a massive tablet in their car. When you drive a Mustang you are concentrating on driving, on the road and your surroundings. The nicely integrated Sync2/3 screen of S550 did the job perfectly well. In the Mach-E they even did a wonderful and creative job on integrating a soundbar in the double brow, a truly innovative piece of design progress. But instead of bringing that into S650 we get this generic dud and now have to live in a world where Mach-E has a more true to Mustang dashboard that the real Mustang.

This is a disaster.

ford-mustang-2018-dashboard.jpg

2024 Mustang Interior 04.jpg
Personally I hated the old cockpit. It was very dated. This new interior is part of the reason I jumped on the new mustang. There are some things I liked about the old cockpit, like the double brow. But, that was removed to get the new infotainment screens up as high as possible to be easier to see while driving. Almost like a HUD. I do wish there were more physical buttons, and the touch screen can be slightly difficult to navigate while driving. I notice that in my 22’ Expedition with the large screen. But, I like tech so I got used to it quickly. But I would not have ordered a mustang with the old interior.

I can totally understand where you are coming from though.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
frankly the thing here that worries me is that youre saying youre messing with these controls while driving (yes, sitting at a stoplight is still driving). the only things you should be messing with while driving is your ac (permanent on the screen) radio volume (on the wheel or with the 1 of 2 knobs in the car) your wipers and your lights (the other knob in the car).

if you need to do anything else that requires looking away for more than a second like a steering wheel heater turning on for no reason, dont be a road hazard, mustangs get enough of a bad rep as it is, pull your ass off the road and do things safely.

remember, an overwhelming majority of accidents are caused by the thing behind the steering wheel.
Headlights should be automatic, and wipers should be raining sensing.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I'm not against digital dashes, but I CANNOT stand the glued-on tablet look. It's hideous. I much prefer what Porsche has done with the 911 and I wish we could have gotten something like this. The digital dash in the Bullitt and GT500 was great and incorporated into the dash. I don't get why Ford felt the need to go for the glued on tablet look. It's a shame too because I love what Ford did with the S650 exterior styling and the Gen 4 Coyote, but the dash makes it a no buy for me.
2022-porsche-911-carrera-dashboard-carbuzz-898057-1600.jpg
Now *THAT'S* a classy and tastefully designed dashboard, not whatever Ford did with the S650...
Sponsored