• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
My wife just bought a Bronco sport. It has the ipad stuck on the dash look with the center screen. We both like it.
Screenshot 2022-09-17 101619.jpg

I prefer having the screen be a separate entity rather than raising the entire dash up around the screen and having a massive dash surrounding the screen and blocking my view.

I have never bought a Mustang based on the dash. I usually buy based on the engine or performance information. I will be surprised if this dash would change my decision one way or the other. It's surprising to me that this thread is going for 29 pages and people are so passionate about dashes. Maybe it's just because we don't have enough performance/engine info about the car yet.

I do think that getting rid of the physical controls was a big mistake by Ford and that is a con for the new Mustang as far as I'm concerned.
This is definitely the biggest benefit of having screens slotted on top. I get moist about low-set, horizontal, airy dashes.

Like for instance, the latest MK8 Golf and 11th Gen Civic. At least aesthetically speaking, love that stuff.

The only other OEM that integrates their screens and maintains this airy horizontal look is Porsche AFAIK.
Sponsored

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Be careful what you wish for. If the S650 turns into a flop because everyone hates the interior it may just hasten the demise of ICE Mustangs altogether.
given the heavy foot of gov't on the throat of the auto industry you may not be wrong. But that's not going to inspire me to reward Ford with a sale of a car with a hideous interior. IMO the S650 sales numbers will be horrible beyond any expectation because of "The Economy, Stupid" (too expensive, >5% financing) and that signal will be impossible to separate from those that don't buy because the design inside and/or outside is simply unacceptable.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I don't disagree with this, but this overall trend is a perfect illustration of corporate followship (a term I've coined while working for such large companies) versus real leadership. You do not get great products by surveying the average customer. You get great products by sticking to a vision, I daresay by listening to the "vocal and passionate" minority.

I get why Ford is doing it (following trends, cost, etc.). But what's the use in making a Mustang that apes EVs, but doesn't do it as well? If people want screens like this, they are probably the same people, by and large, who want an EV. I think there is a niche for cars that retain their analog nature, and I'm in the camp that thinks the Mustang should embrace that.
I'm all for preserving my HVAC and volume controls as much as the rest of the enthusiast crowd, but I don't think the move to mass-integrate everything into dominating screens is an EV-only thing at this point. If we want to see any change, realistically, it would have to be in the form of poor sales and outward criticism of these choices from the customer base and the industry journalists.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I'm all for preserving my HVAC and volume controls as much as the rest of the enthusiast crowd, but I don't think the move to mass-integrate everything into dominating screens is an EV-only thing at this point. If we want to see any change, realistically, it would have to be in the form of poor sales and outward criticism of these choices from the customer base and the industry journalists.
I really dislike the tablet on my wife's Volvo XC60. It's a pain in the ass to use standing still and changing things on the move is flat out dangerous. That said here is the dashboard of the new EX90. Do you think anyones listening to me?

S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO 1667146010260

My wife's 2021.
S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO 1667146064946

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
I really dislike the tablet on my wife's Volvo XC60. It's a pain in the ass to use standing still and changing things on the move is flat out dangerous. That said here is the dashboard of the new EX90. Do you think anyones listening to me?

1667146010260.png

My wife's 2021.
1667146064946.png
Well, judging from the pic the interior quality is obviously way better in the Volvo compared to the Mustang.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS

1667146010260.png

My wife's 2021.
1667146064946.png
I have V90 (BTW, I really love that car as a daily driver) which has a dash layout very similar to you wife's XC60. The instrument cluster is fantastic, easy to read and laid out very well. I really like having the GPS map displayed in between the gauges. I am not opposed to the integrated center panel, but strongly dislike that there are no physical buttons for things like turning the seat heaters on or adjusting the temp.

The new design fits right in with the current trend though. That is where the market seems to be going with full speed. I am not a fan, but as I posted earlier this the current trend that is taking over. Like tailfins and ginormous grills, it is a fad and it will pass.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350

1667146010260.png

My wife's 2021.
1667146064946.png
Who's in charge of that new dash and how do we ban them

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
Insane for suggesting someone should lose their job over the new dash. Hate it? Fine. But no one should lose their livelihood because an incredibly small sample size of people don't like it. That's crazy, extremist talk.
IF it becomes a reason for low sales numbers, then yes, the decision makers on the dash should be fired. Unfortunately for them, that is the way corporate things will work if my small sampling mirrors a much, much larger sampling (whether it will or won't, no one, not even Ford nor you, know for sure).

Extremist? Not even even close. Crazy? I will differ to my wife.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
IF it becomes a reason for low sales numbers, then yes, the decision makers on the dash should be fired. Unfortunately for them, that is the way corporate things will work if my small sampling mirrors a much, much larger sampling (whether it will or won't, no one, not even Ford nor you, know for sure).

Extremist? Not even even close. Crazy? I will differ to my wife.
I suspect that Ford will get a pretty good read on the popular reaction to the dash and do not worry, if the dash or any other key design element fails, the decision makers will feel the consequences (even if it not an outright firing).

p.s.; You don't need even ask my wife if I am crazy, she will gladly tell you 🤣

Last edited:

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
A classic example of why newer is not better

3511AF87-3656-404B-B602-5112E58C5FDE.jpeg

CD680A8C-BDF3-4226-8A5A-23CCE6CF7147.jpeg
Well having owned a couple of Fox Body Mustangs, in my opinion this not the best example to make your point. I know some love the classic Mustang interiors, and they were great for their time, but interiors from the era in general were pretty bad and I'd take any of the interiors from any of the more modern Mustangs hands down , especially when you consider comfort and convenience.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
A classic example of why newer is not better

3511AF87-3656-404B-B602-5112E58C5FDE.jpeg

CD680A8C-BDF3-4226-8A5A-23CCE6CF7147.jpeg
60s-70s is cheating since this was pre-basic safety where your body is the crumple zone and your chassis would turn into a pretzel with a gust of wind. But I do think they're dripping in sex appeal. Real wood and alloy trim that you'd never find in a modern volume car.

The Fox Body kicked off the age of interiors that shall not be discussed. 80s-to-mid-00s Ford interiors were a sea of bland plastic and cheap rubber with the worst gaps in history. The Fox Body in particular is starting to age nicely because it's so basic and geomteric, but I wouldn't use it as a counterargument to modern interiors.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Probably an easier sell for them to say there’s a video game engine in the dash instead of dumping millions into nailing down the damping of an A/C or volume knob.
I am waiting for them to develop a tactile holographic projection for car instrumentation. The technology is already out there.