• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Storage Time

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Well, 6 weeks and 1,000 miles later, I find the days getting shorter and cooler. I bought the convertible for top-down cruising, and driving with the top up just isn't as fun for me. Now that I'm getting hit with leaves as I drive, it's time to store her today.

Here's my storage protocol. Please let me know if you think of anything else:
  • Add fuel stabilizer and top off with top-tier gasoline (I added an extra 0.5 gallons after shut-off)
  • Inflate tires to max PSI (I went 1-2 over as the PDI guys never actually lowered it)
  • Turn off vehicle connectivity, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
  • Turn off remote start, remote window, alarm, vehicle diagnostics, auto-updates, quiet start time
  • Vacuum + clean interior & trunk
  • Wash, wax, dry, remove radio AM/FM antenna
  • Cover
  • Cancel registration/insurance (at my risk, I'll reinstate in February with my vanity plate that the dealer had problems at the RMV with)
I know a battery tender should be on the list, but I'm parking her outside and far from any available outlets and I don't want an extension cord across my driveway, so I'll take the ding for that. I did put a charger on it yesterday to top-off. I looked at a flat-spot eliminator ramp, but for the money they want for it I'll pass and just drive slowly around the block once a month on nicer days. I do have battery chargers and the little portable one I keep in the trunk.

Am I missing anything? Let me know!

Looking forward to May, 2024. I have thoroughly enjoyed my brief time with her so far!

S650 Mustang Storage Time 20231014_140342

S650 Mustang Storage Time 20231014_140328

S650 Mustang Storage Time 20231014_140351

S650 Mustang Storage Time 20231014_140412
Sponsored

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I would do an oil change for sure before storage. I've also read a teaspoon of fresh motor oil down the spark plug holes to keep the top end lubed is a good idea (I read this probably 20 years ago so check with a Ford tech before adding oil to the combustion chamber, but I wouldn't think any harm will come from it because most should slowly drain past the rings over 6 months in storage). A manual turnover of the engine after adding oil to the top end helps to gently disperse the oil with the plugs out.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Do not put extra fuel in after the shutoff. I used to do that with my 96 mustang and I had to replace multiple carbon canisters. Finally a service manager talked to me about it and what happens is the fuel get sucked into the canister and destroys it's ability to function resulting in the evil check engine light. I now fill it until the pump shuts off and have not needed to replace another canister. The stabilizer floats on top the fuel sealing off the oxygen and should be enough. Besides that, good fuel can last 6 months so you should be good with out the additional fuel.
As for the battery, you can drag the charger out once a month and top it off. If you find it needs a lot of charge at the first top off, do it a bit more often. A short drive probably will not be enough to fully top off the battery.
You might be able to get a non op on the registration which would allow it to remain registered but just not driven. In addition you should check your insurance company as the there could be a theft or damage beyond what you want to pay for. If you were parked in a secure area, it might be different however it doesn't sound like the car will be well protected where it is.

OP
OP
Decio

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would do an oil change for sure before storage. I've also read a teaspoon of fresh motor oil down the spark plug holes to keep the top end lubed is a good idea (I read this probably 20 years ago so check with a Ford tech before adding oil to the combustion chamber, but I wouldn't think any harm will come from it because most should slowly drain past the rings over 6 months in storage). A manual turnover of the engine after adding oil to the top end helps to gently disperse the oil with the plugs out.
I know Ford recommends an oil change going into and coming out of storage, but that seems wasteful. I am planning an early oil change right at the start of the season next year. I figured with only 1k miles on it, the engine would forgive me if I gave until spring.

I haven't heard about lubricating the spark plug holes. I'll follow up with that and see if that's still valid on this engine. Thanks for all of the information!

OP
OP
Decio

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do not put extra fuel in after the shutoff. I used to do that with my 96 mustang and I had to replace multiple carbon canisters. Finally a service manager talked to me about it and what happens is the fuel get sucked into the canister and destroys it's ability to function resulting in the evil check engine light. I now fill it until the pump shuts off and have not needed to replace another canister. The stabilizer floats on top the fuel sealing off the oxygen and should be enough. Besides that, good fuel can last 6 months so you should be good with out the additional fuel.
As for the battery, you can drag the charger out once a month and top it off. If you find it needs a lot of charge at the first top off, do it a bit more often. A short drive probably will not be enough to fully top off the battery.
You might be able to get a non op on the registration which would allow it to remain registered but just not driven. In addition you should check your insurance company as the there could be a theft or damage beyond what you want to pay for. If you were parked in a secure area, it might be different however it doesn't sound like the car will be well protected where it is.
Good to know, thanks Dena! I always topped off because I didn't want any room for condensation. It is going to go several months without additional gas. I plan to run it long enough for everything to get to operating temp and smooth out any flat spots monthly.

I do haul out the battery charger during the coldest winter months and don't bother trying to turn it over until I get the green LED on the charger.

My state is ultra-tight with registrations. We don't even allow temporary plates. I don't think I have that option. I do have the car far back from the street on my property covered by cameras. I took down a tree that was decaying and close to the driveway/house so now there's no branch or tree risk. I do have an umbrella homeowner's policy that lists the vehicle on it so I should be covered. If there's a hurricane on the way, I'll just have to kick my wife's car out of the garage!

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't heard about lubricating the spark plug holes. I'll follow up with that and see if that's still valid on this engine. Thanks for all of the information!
As you're going to be running the engine once a month, that isn't needed as the engine should leave enough oil there. It still should be done for really long term storage.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know, thanks Dena! I always topped off because I didn't want any room for condensation. It is going to go several months without additional gas. I plan to run it long enough for everything to get to operating temp and smooth out any flat spots monthly.
The alcohol in the fuel will suspend any water in the fuel until you can burn it off so condensation isn't the problem it once was. Really long term storage you would drain the fuel but you should be ok for 6 months.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I know Ford recommends an oil change going into and coming out of storage, but that seems wasteful. I am planning an early oil change right at the start of the season next year. I figured with only 1k miles on it, the engine would forgive me if I gave until spring.

Just keep in mind that there are impurities and acids that form in motor oil even from just light use. I wouldn't let any oil sit in the crankcase more than 6 months total.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Last year was the first with my car, the first Winter in storage.

Did virtually everything the OP did.

Last November, I'd just crossed 1000 mi / 1600 km.

- Full tank of fuel
- Stabil
- Full detailing, inside and out
- Inflated tires to 40 psi, 2.75 bar
- Did not set parking brake (stored inside garage)
- Placed wheel chocks, forwards and back
- Left in neutral (M6)
- Attached to tender
- Covered

During storage, I'd occasionally check under the hood and under the car, to ensure nothing was leaking, and to ensure a family of varmints hadn't moved in. Every once in a while, unlocked the car, to wake it up, then locked again. Otherwise, did nothing.

In April, I went to start the car; she started as if I'd turned the car off five minutes before. No stumble, hesitation, smoke or weird noises. Immediately got oil pressure and smooth idling.

Did not experience any flat spotting of tires, even temporarily.

Coming out of storage, I was down to about 27% on the Oil Life Monitor; this was the original, factory fill. I changed the oil after a few weeks. Oil analysis came back normal for that first season.

Last edited:

jamespmoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2020 Explorer ST, 2004 Thunderbird

Yep, I used to always put a spoonful of oil down the cylinders before I would park my drag car for the winter. This was at the recommendation of my engine builder. 90 fox body with a 408–ran 9.90 @ 135.

509Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 F-150 4X4. Waiting on 2024 GT convertible in
If you are making payments on the car your bank or credit union probably requires you to have insurance during the period of the loan.

OP
OP
Decio

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just keep in mind that there are impurities and acids that form in motor oil even from just light use. I wouldn't let any oil sit in the crankcase more than 6 months total.
Good point. It should be about a 6.5 month hibernation, maybe less if it's unseasonably warm. It'll be objective #1 when it's back to daily use.

OP
OP
Decio

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are making payments on the car your bank or credit union probably requires you to have insurance during the period of the loan.
Absolutely agree on this point! I sold my S197 at the height of the used car market and busted my ass for a year working side jobs and saving all I could so I could be in a position to buy without financing. It was really hard to stay disciplined, but the payoff was worth it. Title is in my safe. Umbrella coverage should be sufficient.

509Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 F-150 4X4. Waiting on 2024 GT convertible in
I definitely would check with my insurance agent to be sure of the home owners insurance covering the car. I bought mine outright too but I wouldn’t want to take a $66000+ gamble.

mcrimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum, 2006 Honda S2000 - Sold
I would at least leave comprehension coverage on your car. If you have it financed, you’ll have problems removing insurance.
Sponsored