• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Storage Time

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
We were discussing storage, oil and oil pressure at Spring startup. Herein is a little insight I gathered.

The general consensus is simply to get on with it: start the engine and get it running. Modern engines, modern oils, can tolerate storage much better than previous generations. Further, the turning over of the engine with the pedal to the floor, while this does have some effect, the engine is still turning over "dry" with very little pressure. So little it's most likely not doing you any better. You're probably causing more wear than you think. Oil is still in the galleys and the pan is still full. Getting the engine running as quickly as possible will build the required (keyword) pressure soonest.

However...how long is too long before taking additional steps? This is the conundrum. There is no definitive answer. And what is the extent of those additional actions? A lot of opinions and great ideas, but no clear guidance. Some do a little of this, a little of that. Others, they go all-out.

I'll continue doing what I did last year: disconnect the tender, deflate the tires and start the car. Will keep one eye on the oil pressure, the other on the back, towards the exhaust.

YMMV.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...e-that-oil-system-before-firing-it-up.157595/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-priming-after-winter-storage.155323/

Also, Google, "DIY engine pre-lube systems", "starting car after long-term storage".
Sponsored

OP
OP
Decio

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
We were discussing storage, oil and oil pressure at Spring startup. Herein is a little insight I gathered.

The general consensus is simply to get on with it: start the engine and get it running. Modern engines, modern oils, can tolerate storage much better than previous generations. Further, the turning over of the engine with the pedal to the floor, while this does have some effect, the engine is still turning over "dry" with very little pressure. So little it's most likely not doing you any better. You're probably causing more wear than you think. Oil is still in the galleys and the pan is still full. Getting the engine running as quickly as possible will build the required (keyword) pressure soonest.

However...how long is too long before taking additional steps? This is the conundrum. There is no definitive answer. And what is the extent of those additional actions? A lot of opinions and great ideas, but no clear guidance. Some do a little of this, a little of that. Others, they go all-out.

I'll continue doing what I did last year: disconnect the tender, deflate the tires and start the car. Will keep one eye on the oil pressure, the other on the back, towards the exhaust.

YMMV.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...e-that-oil-system-before-firing-it-up.157595/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-priming-after-winter-storage.155323/

Also, Google, "DIY engine pre-lube systems", "starting car after long-term storage".
Thanks!

" the turning over of the engine with the pedal to the floor "

That sounds like high risk to me. I don't even move the car (any car) until the RPMs settle down after the initial higher revs for exactly the purpose mentioned - making sure everything is well coated in oil before stressing the engine. I don't even turn on the heat in the winter until the engine is at temp (much to my wife's dismay).

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I live in Vermont where we get some wintry weather and I have never really "winterized" my Mustang, I'm fortunate to have it in a garage where I keep it covered. I put a full tank of non ethanol gas with Stabil in it then I wait until there is a dry day and I run it gently until it gets to temp. I run the AC, heat, and all the exhaust modes. I don't drive it too hard but I try to warm everything up then I park in the garage and cover her back up. I think 5 weeks was the longest I went without running it. I did replace my PS 4s with PS 4AS as the summer tires do not work well in the cold.