• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Start/Stop

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
It is called "ASS" for a reason!
Depending on where you live the system is not good at all. Here it is very inconsistant, so much that sometimes you can go for a drive and it never comes on. Other times there is a delay when it shuts off. I have had it do that a few times when I forgot to turn it off. And I can see that making it dangerous.

Not to mention it will tax parts and cause early failures. Known early failures are Batteries, Alternators and Starters.

I have really never seen anyone defend "ASS" so much haha.

If it was an option you could have removed or permantely disabled most would get rid of it......especially the car people!

Not to be mean but those that defend it probably never turned a wrench in their life. HAHA
I don't know anyone personally that likes the feature.
It is NOT dangerous!

It works when it is designed too (not inconsistently) based on many factors including state of charge, temperature, engine temperature.

S/S has NO impact on alternators and S/S cars are fitted with uprated batteries (a good thing for the consumer) and starters designed to be used more than non S/S cars (designed differently and use other inputs to make the restart quick). Failure rates are not increased, in fact starter motor failures are lower on S/S cars because of their design - come on this data is out there.

Why a Start Stop Starter Motor Doesn't Wear Out Like People Think — Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice | Automotive Repair Tips and How-To

Modern versions are MHEV and use an ISG which is better for reliability and uses less parts.

I HAVE 'turned a wrench' HAHA and other more sophisticated tools and I do see the benefits / have driven many cars with S/S. I will agree that some implementations are better than others, but all of the Ford cars I have driven with S/S work seamlessly.
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
You can try but as you know with modern CANBUS vehicles pulling a fuse doesn't always get what you want!

You can pull the fuse on your ISG if you want but you will turn the car into an ornament.
No additional parts at all, unless there is an ISG which is then LESS parts than starter motor plus alternator!
So there are additional parts?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It works when it is designed too (not inconsistently) based on many factors including state of charge, temperature, engine temperature.
As long as those variables remain constant.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is NOT dangerous!

S/S has NO impact on alternators and S/S cars are fitted with uprated batteries (a good thing for the consumer) and starters designed to be used more than non S/S cars (designed differently and use other inputs to make the restart quick). Failure rates are not increased, in fact starter motor failures are lower on S/S cars because of their design - come on this data is out there.

Why a Start Stop Starter Motor Doesn't Wear Out Like People Think — Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice | Automotive Repair Tips and How-To

Modern versions are MHEV and use an ISG which is better for reliability and uses less parts.

I HAVE 'turned a wrench' HAHA and other more sophisticated tools and I do see the benefits / have driven many cars with S/S. I will agree that some implementations are better than others, but all of the Ford cars I have driven with S/S work seamlessly.
In other words, the ‘feature’ is really just a funky fuse. If a fuse is designed to interrupt a circuit. The engine only continues to run with a completed circuit. Once power is enabled now ‘funky’ fuse can go to work. We simply break the circuit (based upon set params) and then we reset it via computer control and then reactivate the starter as needed. Did I miss anything?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
In other words, the ‘feature’ is really just a funky fuse. If a fuse is designed to interrupt a circuit. The engine only continues to run with a completed circuit. Once power is enabled now ‘funky’ fuse can go to work. We simply break the circuit (based upon set params) and then we reset it via computer control and then reactivate the starter as needed. Did I miss anything?
Yes, everything!

Control systems - go look them up

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Already present - called ECU
Look at all this money I saved by buying on sale? Did you really save or simply spend less?

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
It is NOT dangerous!

Interesting technical information. Thanks.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
Good Lord guys, what’s with all this techno-flexing? Who GAF?

Why isn’t it enough to just say “I don’t like it and wish it weren’t on there”? Or, “I don’t care and wish I had two!”

No need to defend preferences, unless you just get off on public contention. It’s always a losing battle.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
apologies:

It is NOT dangerous!
….

I will agree that some implementations are better than others, but all of the Ford …
Sponsored