• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sound System expectations (B&O, upgrades)

adamhixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Hi all,

I love my music and yes while I will be enjoying the rumble of my engine, I am looking forward to upgrading to a modern sound system from the ancient one I jam out to today.

For those of you with previous model year Mustangs, specifically with B&O sound systems, what should I expect in terms of sound quality from the 12 speaker B&O system in the S650? I've heard it isn't the best audio system. Would you agree or do you think it's halfway decent?

Do any of you audiophiles plan on upgrading to something specific? If so, what are you planning?

Edit: Lots of responses, thanks everyone for the input
Sponsored

Last edited:

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The B&O will likely suffice for a large percentage of owners. If you have ever had a SQ after market system, or are into DB or SPL, you will not be satisfied with the B&O. I'll be adding at least my custom enclosure and EVL 12 sub with 1500.1 Amp out of my Timberline.

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
I've never liked any factory installed ever. The ELS on my 2010 Acura came close, but not quite there. If I had a choice I would prefer to order the car with no system and install my own.

As far as the B&O is concerned, I plan to gut out the amp, sub, and all the drivers except the A-Pillar tweeters and center dash. Install a 6-channel amp and DM-810 processor that I took out from my previous car, new drivers, and custom sub enclosure with dual 10" subs. Test and calibrate with REW.

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
I own several sets of pricey headphones, amplifiers and whatnot. Been into sound and design as a hobby for around 20 years. Post above me pretty much has my feelings on it. I expect the sound the the B & O to at least be better than what's in my current winter beater.

OP
OP
adamhixx

adamhixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
The 5.0 and the active exhaust is all one needs.
I respect it

I own several sets of pricey headphones, amplifiers and whatnot. Been into sound and design as a hobby for around 20 years. Post above me pretty much has my feelings on it. I expect the sound the the B & O to at least be better than what's in my current winter beater.
Same here. I play music for fun so it does matter to me.

The speakers in my current vehicle are blown + almost 20 years old. My first/previous vehicle was a '93 Chevy so those definitely weren't better.... I don't think I'll be disappointed no matter what. 😬

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I've read that Ford upgraded the B&O system for the S650 which means it should be better than the S550.

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Audio is super subjective. I am not an audiophile by any means, but I do appreciate good sounding systems.

I have a 2022 Civic Si with the Bose system, and it is a decent system. My previous car was a 2015 Mercedes C300 and the Burmester audio was better, but it also had some weak points, mostly at higher volumes.

zaimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium (ordered)
I respect it

Same here. I play music for fun so it does matter to me.

The speakers in my current vehicle are blown + almost 20 years old. My first/previous vehicle was a '93 Chevy so those definitely weren't better.... I don't think I'll be disappointed no matter what. 😬
Having said that lol, I opted for the B&O upgraded system. I've had the base systems in my previous cars.. while most are OK, there is often lust for something with a bit more power.

I have no doubts that it will be an adequate system for something from the factory. Sure, you could likely get more bang for your buck with aftermarket. But guess what, I'm not tearing into my brand new car to replace speakers and I sure as hell am not allowing anyone else to do it lol.

Last edited:

zaimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium (ordered)
Audio is super subjective. I am not an audiophile by any means, but I do appreciate good sounding systems.

I have a 2022 Civic Si with the Bose system, and it is a decent system. My previous car was a 2015 Mercedes C300 and the Burmester audio was better, but it also had some weak points, mostly at higher volumes.
Agreed. Everyone has different tastes of how they like their music, and many are listening for different things. For example, IMO a good system has decent bass... as if you were at an actual concert. Whereas the next guy is fine with 0 bass at all, something you can find out of an old AM radio.

Bose often performs well enough, at least for me. Off the cuff I would assume that a Burmeister system would produce better sound. Harman Kardon is another that I would have good things to say about.

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Agreed. Everyone has different tastes of how they like their music, and many are listening for different things. For example, IMO a good system has decent bass... as if you were at an actual concert. Whereas the next guy is fine with 0 bass at all, something you can find out of an old AM radio.

Bose often performs well enough, at least for me. Off the cuff I would assume that a Burmeister system would produce better sound. Harman Kardon is another that I would have good things to say about.
The Bose is good. It has a nice punch, but the mids are a bit lacking. There is also a "bose centerpoint" for surround sound output, but that is hit or miss from track to track so I leave it off.

The Mercedes Burmester had a surround sound function which really elevated the sound and felt immersive, but it fell apart at higher volumes, probably due to the bass.

If I had the bass from the Bose, and the mids/highs from the Burmester, it would be perfect.

I have yet to hear a Mustang audio, and honestly, it wouldn't really expect it to be that great in a Mustang, but being that this is a new design with a new infotainment, not to mention I plan on keeping the car for a long time, my expectations are kind of high.

Lynchburgsam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
My F150 has been excellent and exceeded my expectations. What I heard in the brand new Mach-1 was no where close. Hoping the S650 is much better.

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
If you like Harman Kardon, then you're in luck, that's who owns B&O.

Yes, I concur an aftermarket rig can be better than any factory setup, at least in terms of sound. Aesthetics is another issue. The best I ever heard was a 5.1 DYI getup I put together on a Volvo. Listen to Diana Krall Live in Paris and you may realize the difference and if its worthwhile.

If nothing else, even just installing additional sound proofing will do wonders to any car stereo.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
My Shaker 1000 is 12 years old and had some short comings. The system was Ok but the lack of sound deadening in even a premium GT made it sound like an echco chamber. I ended up redoing the interior and trunk area with Second Skin. Night and day difference. Anyone up grading their system without sound reading is missing much. Mustangs are not noted with great sound and its no wonder with how they are like a tin can made for perfomance.

Last edited:

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I have been in several newer Ford vehicles with the B&O. A Ranger Lariat and a few different Explorer STs' The Ranger was "decent" . The Explorer with the 14 speaker set up honestly wasn't bad.

Mind you, my current Timberline has been upgraded front to back with Memphis components and SKAR Audio amps and an EVL 12 D2 sub in a custom made maple/birch enclosure. I am running over 2000w with this set up. So there isn't a OEM system that will be an end all for me LOL.

The Lincoln Revell systems are pretty good. Tesla puts a hell of a set up in their higher end models too.
Sponsored