• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

So, I got to drive a Dark Horse today

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback
Backing up just a bit, the Ghost started being ordered as a Dark Horse. While in the process of ordering, and due partially to the lack of concrete information at the time in April 2023, I switched it to a GT mid-order. Basically, I had been driving the same Mustang for 18 years... a 2006 V6. And I'd had my heart set for years on getting a GT with a red interior as my next car. When I got to the interior portion of the order, I was disappointed the Dark Horse didn't have leather seats without getting Recaros, and the interior was unavailable in Carmine Red. So... I switched the order to a GT and spec'ed the car out with every performance option under the sun. Would most people have done that? Probably not. But the heart wanted what the heart wanted at the time.

Fast forward a year, and I've been completely happy with the Ghost. It's everything I could possibly want in a Mustang. But, today I called a local dealer just out of curiosity to see if they had a Dark Horse because I wanted to compare the Tremec to the MT82. Lo and behold, they got one today. The first in six months apparently. Standard Dark Horse, non-handling pack in Vapor Blue with Recaros. I stopped by after work and took it for a spin.

I must say, the Tremec feels good. Not as notchy as the MT82, and each shift felt more defined and not as ambiguous as the MT82. The throws also felt shorter. Other than that, the car felt pretty similar. I didn't notice any big difference in acceleration or handling. The exhaust sounded just a bit louder. But the Tremec did make the overall driving experience more enjoyable.

So... now that I've gotten it out of my system and got to take a Dark Horse for a spin, I feel very happy with my GT. I prefer its looks overall as I think it's more attractive on the whole given the way I spec'ed it. Do I wish I had a Tremec? 100%. But, with the $15K markup over the $67K MSRP they were asking, as well as considering the fact my car already cost $59K before taxes, definitely not worth it. Perhaps in 2032 (or whenever) Ford decides to put the last V8 through the assembly line I'll upgrade to a final V8 Mustang, which will undoubtedly be whatever special Mustang is being offered at the time. As long as it's a manual, and preferably with a Tremec.

S650 Mustang So, I got to drive a Dark Horse today IMG_9117
Sponsored

Last edited:

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Like the Mach 1 before the DH is nothing more than a expensive package that should have included in every GT…The Tremec and the additional oil coolers needed if you actually want to track the car !

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Like the Mach 1 before the DH is nothing more than a expensive package that should have included in every GT…The Tremec and the additional oil coolers needed if you actually want to track the car !
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You made the best choice for you, @The Ghost! And it sounds like it worked out well.

I went the other way. I had a GT PP ordered, then found my DH while it was on the assembly line at FRAP. I paid ~$11K more between losing AZ Plan pricing and the MSRP for the DH (I did not pay ADM). Could I have saved that cash? Absolutely. Did I choose to? Nope. I wanted what I wanted, just like you wanted what you wanted.

Can't blame you, either if you've been pining for a red interior for nearly 20 years!

Last edited:

mustangmike2176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Dark Horse, '20 Explorer, '17 F150
You made the best choice for you, @The Ghost! And it sounds like it worked out well.

I went the other way. I had a GT PP ordered, then found my DH while it was on the assembly line at FRAP. I gave up about ~11K between losing AZ Plan pricing and the MSRP for the DH (I did not pay ADM). Could I have saved that cash? Absolutely. Did I choose to? Nope. I wanted what I wanted, just like you wanted what you wanted.

Can't blame you, either if you've been pining for a red interior for nearly 20 years!
I went through, and made, the exact same decision. I take possession of my Dark Horse this Saturday and am more excited than a kid at Christmas. This is my 'forever' car and have zero regrets with upgrading to the Dark Horse model.

Zach@Granger

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
I went through, and made, the exact same decision. I take possession of my Dark Horse this Saturday and am more excited than a kid at Christmas. This is my 'forever' car and have zero regrets with upgrading to the Dark Horse model.
That is cool that you got your hands on one! We have had multiple customers interested and to get the allocation is tricky! Congrats and enjoy!!

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Thanks OP for providing this insight. I've been sort of wondering if I made the mistake getting the GT over the DH, mainly for the TREMEC. Seeing as I DD and don't' track my vehicle, sounds like I made the right choice in the end and am really not missing much.

Side note: I prefer the DH wing (read: Not HP wing) over the PP wing. Loved the S550 PP wing and looks like the DH is essentially the same, but a little thicker. The S650 PP wing is good and all, but something about the S550 PP / DH wing. And that DH rear valence 😮💨

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
I was also 100% intent on getting a DH with the A10. I didn't think the dealer would let me drive the one I found on the lot for MSRP, but they did. After I asked to drive a GT and could tell no difference in terms of speed. It's a daily driver for me so I didn't need the handling prowess of the DH. But yeah the 14hp difference was unable to be felt at all between both (A10s).

Ended up getting the GT and with A/Z plan saved about 15k. At least the Mach 1 looks quite different than a standard GT. The Dark Horse looks like a GT with eyeliner under the lights. Granted, I do respect the DH. I just think Ford should have made a PP2 package for the GT, priced it at 10k, and put all the DH upgrades in to that.

For me if there was more power in the DH I'd have probably gotten it over the GT. Like if it was 520+ hp where you can actually start to feel a speed difference between it and the GT. I know that isn't the purpose of the car, but as a daily I just want the speed and don't need the handling capability.

OP
OP
The Ghost

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks OP for providing this insight. I've been sort of wondering if I made the mistake getting the GT over the DH, mainly for the TREMEC. Seeing as I DD and don't' track my vehicle, sounds like I made the right choice in the end and am really not missing much.

Side note: I prefer the DH wing (read: Not HP wing) over the PP wing. Loved the S550 PP wing and looks like the DH is essentially the same, but a little thicker. The S650 PP wing is good and all, but something about the S550 PP / DH wing. And that DH rear valence 😮💨
I don't track my car either, but I drive it almost every day!

Here's the other thing. There's always a bigger fish. Right now, the DH is the top Mustang. But in a year or two, there will be something else that everyone wants instead. Cobra, Boss 302, GT-500... who knows. At the end of the day, we have 95% the same car and saved some money. We still get the Coyote with awesome V8 power and sound. The difference between 486 to 500 HP is notable but not huge, and it's not something I was able to discern driving one car to the other. And in my case (maybe you did this too), I special ordered it 100% to my liking. Not everyone gets to be so lucky, so I'm quite happy with my car!

Last edited:

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
I want to comment on this thread but can’t because I’ve never driven a Dark Horse

I can comment on GT vs GT350 as I used to own a PP1 and have driven an S650 PP

The 350 feels like a completely different car … the difference in handling and driving characteristics is massive …

I’m a little surprised on some of the comments I’m reading

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m a little surprised on some of the comments I’m reading
All these GT vs DH threads are no different than any other: GT buyers saying how happy they are saving $$ to get the 'same car' *cough* as a DH and DH buyers saying they bought a DH because they could and/or wanted one.

Beyond that, it's nothing more than a bunch of folks opening their pie holes because they think they can convince others how superior they are thanks to their financial prowess and/or financial position.

Personally, I don't care who buys what - I buy what I want because I can. For anybody that thinks they need to try to convince me that I wasted money buying a DH over a GT, I have two things to say: One, I don't care, I bought what I wanted and, two, if $10K really that makes much of a difference, perhaps you should have made a better career choice. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
The Ghost

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All these GT vs DH threads are no different than any other: GT buyers saying how happy they are saving $$ to get the 'same car' *cough* as a DH and DH buyers saying they bought a DH because they could and/or wanted one.

Beyond that, it's nothing more than a bunch of folks opening their pie holes because they think they can convince others how superior they are thanks to their financial prowess and/or financial position.

Personally, I don't care who buys what - I buy what I want because I can. For anybody that thinks they need to try to convince me that I wasted money buying a DH over a GT, I have two things to say: One, I don't care, I bought what I wanted and, two, if $10K really that makes much of a difference, perhaps you should have made a better career choice. 🤷‍♂️
Oof, I hope my posts don't come off that way. That wasn't my intent at all. I love both cars and completely feel there's a need for both of them to exist. I just wanted to share my experience having gotten to compare both cars. It's too bad folks can't just support each other. We're all driving Mustangs here. V8 Mustangs at that.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oof, I hope my posts don't come off that way. That wasn't my intent at all. I love both cars and completely feel there's a need for both of them to exist. I just wanted to share my experience having gotten to compare both cars. It's too bad folks can't just support each other. We're all driving Mustangs here. V8 Mustangs at that.
Not at all, @The Ghost. In fact, yours was one of the most well thought out and constructed posts in recent times. All I was saying is that the GT vs DH posts, in general, all seem to eventually spiral down into pissing contests.
Sponsored

Last edited: