• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Should There Be a Trim Level Between GT and DH?

Should Ford Offer a Trim in Between GT and DH?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
The DH is pretty much a slightly tuned GT, like the Mach 1 which already was more or less a better marketed performance package 2. I would be more interested to see some kind of Hybrid model next to the GT or higher performance variants
Sponsored

Cory1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD Fatboy, JK Wrangler, 85' Square Body
I'd like to see a car setup for road trips. Give me the power of the DH with a nice ride, normal ground clearance, and no aero/wing. Call it a GTT

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the DH should BE the GT performance package. The extra naming and styling are extra costs on Ford's side that I think they should skip and pass the savings on to their customers. I agree with being able to delete all the items you don't want for street driving as an available option (regular non PP GT).

The problem with too many ala carte options is they have to cost more for Ford to make money. I don't want Ford to treat the Mustang like a $120K base 911 model. I want Ford to strip out more content or standardize it and reduce the price. I think $60K for a Mustang is more than I want to pay.

But I realize I'm wishing for things that will probably never happen. In the land of real world possibilities, I think a 3.7 liter V6 option making about 370-400 HP would be nice as an alternative if Ford were trying to do something similar to the 911 Carrera T.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Should be a street legal light drag version, but no one here seems to support that thought. Like only Dodge should have that.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I would really like to see a 400hp 3.0L TT V6 as an option, call it an ST. It would be lighter in the front and I think it could handle better than a GT.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
I would really like to see a 400hp 3.0L TT V6 as an option, call it an ST. It would be lighter in the front and I think it could handle better than a GT.
I don't think there'd be any weight advantage. The 3.5EB TT is heavier than a 5.0.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I don't think there'd be any weight advantage. The 3.5EB TT is heavier than a 5.0.
Damn youā€™re right. They both weight about 440-450lbs. The 2.3L is only fractionally lighter.

Back on topic, I donā€™t think the S550 or S650 platform is conducive to offering a Carrera T-style trim. Let Ford stick to their strengths; overcome the chassisā€™s built-to-cost deficiencies by adding more power, more noise, more mechanical grip, and dial in the underpinnings to make it all dance.

Itā€™s not the right chassis to focus on min/maxing weight savings by nature of its use of affordable, heavier construction. Would be too cost prohibitive.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That's why I suggested an NA 3.7 V6. It would actually weigh less than the 5.0 and possibly less than the 2.3 T. And it is a lot less complicated and less expensive than having twin turbos on a smaller 6 cylinder engine.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
That's why I suggested an NA 3.7 V6. It would actually weigh less than the 5.0 and possibly less than the 2.3 T. And it is a lot less complicated and less expensive than having twin turbos on a smaller 6 cylinder engine.
Then you are back to 2015. If you want a NA 3.7, buy one of those.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Then you are back to 2015. If you want a NA 3.7, buy one of those.
Not even close. Those engines only made about 300 HP. But they actually were pretty good as a less expensive option.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT with Premium and Track Package
I thought there was...the Performance Package(s)?

Bruce504

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord & Ford Mustang
how about just keep everything as is & make the 6-speed TREMEC an optional upcharge? you can already buy the 19x10.5(F) & 19x11(R) wheels from the PP2 on the ford website

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT with Premium and Track Package
Damn youā€™re right. They both weight about 440-450lbs. The 2.3L is only fractionally lighter.

Back on topic, I donā€™t think the S550 or S650 platform is conducive to offering a Carrera T-style trim. Let Ford stick to their strengths; overcome the chassisā€™s built-to-cost deficiencies by adding more power, more noise, more mechanical grip, and dial in the underpinnings to make it all dance.

Itā€™s not the right chassis to focus on min/maxing weight savings by nature of its use of affordable, heavier construction. Would be too cost prohibitive.
Plus the size differences between a 911 and the current Mustang platform have much to do with the engine/powertrain. As good as the Coyote motor is, it is not the most compact propulsion unit out there. The car was designed to accommodate this motor and that set the exterior sizing limits.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Plus the size differences between a 911 and the current Mustang platform have much to do with the engine/powertrain. As good as the Coyote motor is, it is not the most compact propulsion unit out there. The car was designed to accommodate this motor and that set the exterior sizing limits.
I canā€™t really agree with thatā€¦ Although the Coyote is anything but a small engine it still fits quite comfortably into the front. There is plenty of room left and if you open a C63 or even a 911 (where you cannot even see the engine because everything is built so tight in the back) you know how comfortably the Coyote fits. Besides, the trunk is fairly huge and the greenhouse is also fairly large.
I do prefer a larger car over a too small car. Cars like the Audi TT, Toyota GT86, BMW Z4, Porsche Boxster and so on are too small for my liking and are most likely driven by people I donā€™t want to be associated with. No offense to anyone driving such a car! I just donā€™t think itā€™s the right car for me ;)

Comparing the 911 to the Mustang doesnā€™t really do the 911 justice. Porsche puts a lot of development and such into making the car as light and small as possible (they want to keep the original 911 silhouette). Besides, they donā€™t really have many things in common except that 2+2 seating. The one is an overpriced but luxurious sports car whereas the Mustang is a sporty GT that is much more affordable. C8 and 911 works well but the Mustang is a quite unique offering these days. I donā€™t think that there are any cars left by the end of 2024 that compete with the Mustang. Performance wise there will be plenty but apart from that there will be no other cars that offers a (convertible) V8 in a decent sized car that is great for touring.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT 500 PP, Past'13 GT500,98 GT,'92 LX 5.0 5spd
Uh, no. The Dark Horse is basically like the Mach 1, not much room for anything in between a GT with PP1 and a DH.
Don't underestimate Ford. I am sure they can come up with some stickers to differentiate.
Sponsored