• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Shelby American S650 - Only Applicable to GT?

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Starting from 2005, Shelby American only offered packages for the GT trim and any Shelby trims coming directly from Ford. As far as I understand it, Shelby American packages were never applicable to the in-between models, i.e. S197 Boss 302, S550 Mach 1, etc. So that begs the question: will the same apply to S650? Will any Shelby American packages (Shelby GT, Super Snake, etc.) only apply to the GT trim and potentially any Shelby models Ford puts out?

I ask because if I was going to have my Mustang converted to a Super Snake for example, I would sure as hell want to be able to do so with a Dark Horse as the starting point vs. the GT - given DH's beefed up con rods and Tremec.

I hope this trend changes this gen, especially considering an initially locked ECU, Shelby American could make a killing if it expanded its packages to other trim levels. Food for thought.
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Iā€™m sure theyā€™re going to be on the list of ā€œapproved vendorsā€ for Ford. Would make good sense to offer packages for other trims too.

I think Shelby Americanā€™s main issueā€”same with Roush, and any other all-in-one packaged Mustang products without unique VINsā€”has been Fordā€™s in-house performance departments kicking things up 10 notches since the Boss/GT500 models they were rolling out circa S197 Gen. They crush the value proposition.

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
I'd put my money on Shelby American keeping with the GT and Ford/Shelby trims. I don't think Shelby wants to "piggyback" off of Ford's unique trims.

Steeda will probably offer variations of the unique Ford trims. They did with the S550 Mach 1 and Bullitt.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
I'd put my money on Shelby American keeping with the GT and Ford/Shelby trims. I don't think Shelby wants to "piggyback" off of Ford's unique trims.

Steeda will probably offer variations of the unique Ford trims. They did with the S550 Mach 1 and Bullitt.
Maybe, No one messes with the OEM source halo modelsā€¦.. period.
Shelby can add their own connecting rods and whatever else they decide to offer on their packages.

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
Maybe, No one messes with the OEM source halo modelsā€¦.. period.
Shelby can add their own connecting rods and whatever else they decide to offer on their packages.
I have my guesses on how they'd treat the S650 GT and Super Snake variants.

For the record, I'm hoping (and waiting) for a S650 Super Snake šŸ¤™

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT

Shelby America did Super Snake conversions of Bullitts too for their 6th Gen packages. Even in some videos you see them converting a Bullitt in the background.

Last edited:

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
Shelby America did Super Snake conversions of Bullitts too for their 6th Gen packages. Even in some videos you see them converting a Bullitt in the background.
You are absolutely correct. I forgot about that one! šŸ¤™

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
Shelby American have also produced variants of the Ford Performance Shelby GT500, such as a KR :)

KR.jpg
I remember the first time I saw an '09 KR in person. It was in 2010, and it was sitting next to an '04 Cobra. The dealership had to give me a mop to clean up the drool pooling around my feet šŸ« šŸ¤¤ That silver and blue is iconic.

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
There is a local collector in my area that has the one and only Sheleen. it is a GT500 that went to Saleen, and then the lawyers got wind of it,. The conversion was stopped in it's tracks, but was delivered with the Saleen upgrades that had been applied to cat.

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT PP 6speed; 2018 GT (Lemon Law'd)
I did a tour of Shelby America in Las Vegas back in June while I was there for a work conference. They had a rather large chunk of their shop floor walled off. When I asked the tour guide why it was that way (it looked temporary) she told me they were working on cars for the new mustang (now we know is the s650) she said quote ā€œwhat we have planned for this new generation is crazy. Really cool, really fast.ā€

Maybe that was just the standard sales Mumbo jumbo but she seemed pretty excited and they were very hush hush. Black walls, no windows.Amazing place though.

OP
OP
because_murica

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I did a tour of Shelby America in Las Vegas back in June while I was there for a work conference. They had a rather large chunk of their shop floor walled off. When I asked the tour guide why it was that way (it looked temporary) she told me they were working on cars for the new mustang (now we know is the s650) she said quote ā€œwhat we have planned for this new generation is crazy. Really cool, really fast.ā€

Maybe that was just the standard sales Mumbo jumbo but she seemed pretty excited and they were very hush hush. Black walls, no windows. Amazing place though.
I agree, probably mumbo jumbo - BUT considering this was this past June, so close to the Sept. reveal, she may have been on the level. I doubt the big names wait until the cars hit the streets to start testing their packages on them.
Sponsored