• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 slow......what's the truth???

5.0S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
It kind of crazy how much talk there has been about this car with no real amount of data just a few cars to have any information from. Also even if the s650 weighted the exact same as the s550 which honestly it's not really much difference at all gt to gt anyway with the same options, What are people really expecting from 20-26 hp? We already saw what the mach 1 did with it which was not really anything lol. The dark horse has a little more hp but also little more weight too.

Honestly I think the 10 spd is what caused all this. And what I mean by that is The massive jump from the 18-21 over the 15-17 was the 10 spd. Manual to manual things didn't change a lot even with the extra power little faster yea but overall not anything crazy. Now there's no new transmission to give some big leap ahead.

Just some extra power which we already saw how it played out with the mach 1. And like the mach 1 it too ran low 12's until colder weather then 11's all like the 18-21... Bottomline the gt weighs just small bit more so that extra 6hp doesn't really do anything and the darkhorse weighs small bit more than the gt which eats into that extra 14hp it has which would not really show you a lot without the weight gain at the track.

tldr: No it isn't slow, people just had unrealistic expectations. As if a car with 20-26 more hp was going to be massively faster than the last car and on top of that thinking it would also not only beat the old car but beat it's records ( from -1300da to 200da) in 3000-3500da again with only 20-26 more hp. Which wouldn't happen even if they weighed the same. How do I know? The mach 1 exists.

The question is how will it respond to mods compared to the gen 3 once it can be tuned. Given what we've seen from removing lids and carbon filters aftermarket cai's may really do something for this car which really odd given it's setup but lol.

And who knows maybe there's really some kind of break in tune and they will do more later we can't really say with how little data we have.

Last edited:

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
Motortrend hit a 12.0 in a A10 Dark Horse. I think hero runs will be in the cool fall air in October, and i think it will at least be equivalent to S550 hero times.

I had a little birdie tell me a local tuning company has a A10 Dark Horse, a A10 S650 GT premium, and a stock A10 Gen 3 S550 they are about to do head to heads with.... ill share when im able.
Can't wait to see those. But I still want to see some s650's with 2k miles vs s550 head to head. Digs and rolls.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Most of the chatter is s550 owners hating after reading/viewing media from non-driving individuals and running green cars. I do not get it honestly. Be happy that Ford saw it fit to continue to give us the Mustang. Esp with a Coyote and not some pos EV garbage.

Personally, my 2024 GT is coming alive as I get a little bit more mileage on her. I'm near 200 miles, and today alone, my shift points at WOT have gone up from 6800rpm to over 7k. Small steps, and I am not beating on it. Just a couple of runs to see what is what as the miles progress. I can tell you, she's quick.

I know I went from a FBO 18GT A10, to a 2022 Explorer 2.3 T with mods. Now back to a A10 GT. My butt dyno may be skewed LOL. That said, this thing isn't much off the 2018 as it sits. Maybe I just got one of the quick ones. With a tune and some intake work, these are gonna be fun N/A.

I have other plans though... :devil:

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Most of the chatter is s550 owners hating after reading/viewing media from non-driving individuals and running green cars. I do not get it honestly. Be happy that Ford saw it fit to continue to give us the Mustang. Esp with a Coyote and not some pos EV garbage.

Personally, my 2024 GT is coming alive as I get a little bit more mileage on her. I'm near 200 miles, and today alone, my shift points at WOT have gone up from 6800rpm to over 7k. Small steps, and I am not beating on it. Just a couple of runs to see what is what as the miles progress. I can tell you, she's quick.

I know I went from a FBO 18GT A10, to a 2022 Explorer 2.3 T with mods. Now back to a A10 GT. My butt dyno may be skewed LOL. That said, this thing isn't much off the 2018 as it sits. Maybe I just got one of the quick ones. With a tune and some intake work, these are gonna be fun N/A.

I have other plans though... :devil:
I second this. I've put just over 500 miles on mine, and coming from the '21 A10, it's still (M6) surprisingly quick. Seemed to get faster with more miles all while staying in lower RPMs (ok, occasionally hitting 5k). I can't wait to see what it does when really pushed.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
When a microwave oven isn’t quick enough microseconds seem like an eternity.

budman00000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C8 2021 Kia Telluride 2021 Tucson and 06 350z
Didn't buy it for speed, bought it for style and the new look interior. Sound is great, first Mustang so I am new to them. I have to keep girlfriend from switching exhaust to track. She loves the sound. Have to admit, driving in normal mode it is a little louder than my C8. But not on start up.

t_ice14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Mustangs
Not to beat a dead horse, but everyone is talking about how slow the S650s are. What's everyone's opinions? What's the truth?
I'm a die hard Mustang fan. This 2024 will be my 5th one and I have never drove anything but a Mustang since 1997. I'm currently driving a 2013 GT. I'm still super excited about getting my car hopefully this week, but I'm over the hate.
Mine definitely seemed slower than my 2019 GT A10 bit I added a Pedal Commander throttle control which really seemed to wake it up on the low end which in turn makes it feel much faster.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
Most of the hate is coming from the S550 crowd who don't see this car as enough of a change to justify the upgrade/added costs from inflation. Me personally I love almost every aspect of it when compared to the 2010 I'm upgrading from. The only thing I'll really miss from the 2010 is the kona blue, but I've always liked the look of grabber blue so I'm not to upset over it. I'm hoping it gets here in the next couple weeks.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What's slow? Here's a shot of Steeda's GT from Mustang Week going 12.5 in the heat. That was at 89 degrees (and ALL the humidity) at Darlington. More seat time and even relatively close to optimal conditions, and its definitely faster than the S550. Stock (or close to stock) S550s were going high 12s on the same day. In fact I believe the S550 in the right lane was going 12.9 with drag radials and suspension (stick car).

S650 Mustang S650 slow......what's the truth??? Steeda-S650

mustangflanagan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Not looking good boys but I still like the car.. idk if any mods on s550. S550 dog walking the s650.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr