• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 Mustang -Keep hands on steering wheel message

Dwoodmansee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Has anyone run across a message stating ‘Keep Hands on Steering Wheel’? I see this warning constantly when I drive around especially in certain locations around town. I took it to the dealer and they can’t figure it out and I even mentioned this to Ford Customer Service. The message goes for about 5 seconds then goes away.

Any thoughts on this issue? I think it has something to do with lost signal between cellular towers because it is always in the same area of town and there are known dead coverage areas.
Sponsored

rubbertoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I had that happen a few times when I still had lane keeping assist on. I did not like the computer moving my steering wheel when I was driving the twisties so I turned off lane keeping. No more messages about my driving habits since then. At the time when I started noticing my steering wheel moving by itself when I was negotiating a curve I did not know what lane keeping assist was. I do not see it as a feature.

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I tried to 'be modern' and tried it a few times and I don't know how people can trust this thing. It's like playing a game of chicken with the car. Lane keep assist is trying to kill me! I have to bail it out regularly so I don't cross into incoming traffic or go on the shoulder. I think it requires perfectly smooth pavement and freshly painted lines...something like that. It's permanently off now!

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT
Yup, lane keep assist; it can be disabled on left side of steering wheel. It's a pain, just give the wheel a wiggle and it goes away. I've had it so that the "system" got so displeased with me that the car did a quick emergency brake, but now that I know what the program wants I just do the wheel wiggle, since I like the lane keep assist on.

Fruitstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Right, I experienced the same in some VW cars with lane keep assist turned on.
I use to have only one hand on the wheel and that very softly when cruising and would let the wheels follow ruts when I realize the car still drives straight.
Lane assist interprets missing countersteering force as having hands off the wheel.
Very annoying and I hope they'll find a better technical solution in future cars.

Road work and different lane marking also confuses the system a lot.

Edit: can you disable it permanently in the S650?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Playing lane powered ping pong is not recommended, phantom brake (alerts) are bad enough. Yes, I’ve received the ‘hands’ alert and yes i agree turning off the assist does seem to prevent the display of the alert. If it’s still recorded as such in the software data collection and usage reporting for insurance purposes would be a different question.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
This message comes on when lane keep assist is on, and you are needing the assist many times in a short duration. I have learned to love my assist, but on windy days here 35-45mph stuff that message still shows up.

When the assist is needed, the little line on the assist icon (dash) changes color to what ever side the assist is needed, if needed again while color still is changed the message comes on.

So its not the car, probably is you.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This message comes on when lane keep assist is on, and you are needing the assist many times in a short duration. I have learned to love my assist, but on windy days here 35-45mph stuff that message still shows up.

When the assist is needed, the little line on the assist icon (dash) changes color to what ever side the assist is needed, if needed again while color still is changed the message comes on.

So its not the car, probably is you.
Sometimes riding the center line is preferred to the shoulder, especially if you are the only vehicle.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
I thought this warning is when Lane Centering is active and you haven't touched the wheel for a set amount of time? Wife's Acura does this. I didn't think it gives the warning for Lane Keep Assist though? Also I don't think manuals come with Lane centering?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought this warning is when Lane Centering is active and you haven't touched the wheel for a set amount of time? Wife's Acura does this. I didn't think it gives the warning for Lane Keep Assist though? Also I don't think manuals come with Lane centering?
S650 Mustang S650 Mustang -Keep hands on steering wheel message Open 2024_Ford_Mustang_Owners_Manual_version_1_om_EN-US

R3tro GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
My manual GT Prem has lane keep assist. I keep it off.

Reactions: JAL