• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 mule spotted..........with all wheel drive?

NoVaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That is exciting, after driving my wifes AWD sporty sedan (2017 Infiniti Q50 3.0t), I want an AWD Mustang. I will probably wait and see if is offered with a v8 or hybrid before settling for a RWD GT in 2022. Hope the information comes out in early 2022 and not late 2022.
I guarantee you, those pictures are NOT of an AWD Mustang test-mule. The article is bullshit click-bait. Lame guesses that are incorrect, it's just testing new brakes.

The S550 structure, as seen in the pics, has no room to add all the necessary hardware to make it AWD.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I guarantee you, those pictures are NOT of an AWD Mustang test-mule. The article is bullshit click-bait. Lame guesses that are incorrect, it's just testing new brakes.

The S550 structure, as seen in the pics, has no room to add all the necessary hardware to make it AWD.
Yeah, I’m not buying the location of the brake caliper mounting as an indication of AWD. I’m currently looking at several AWD vehicles in my shop where the brakes are not on the front side of the axle. I’m also certain we have some cars where the caliper is on the front and the car is RWD (RWD F25/F26 X3 and X4 come to mind). All examples I can look at here offer both AWD and FWD or RWD and none of that seems to have any effect on caliper placement on the rear axle.

In terms of fitting the hardware to make it AWD in that platform- it is possible, just not how any of us would want. They could transversely mount a 4cyl with a simple transfer case and run a driveshaft to the rear to a variable rear diff, effectively making the car FWD, unless needed by wheel slippage. This is how some AWD cars are set up (namely BMW F4x X1/X2 and newer MINI Fxx cars). There will be some reworking needed for the front knuckle / suspension to get the axles through there, but it is possible if they wanted to try it out. But really incredibly unlikely.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Remember Ford's patent? Electric motors powering the front wheels.....

S650 Mustang S650 mule spotted..........with all wheel drive? hybrid patent

NoVaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Can't even begin to imagine the weight.
Ford has 500lbs to burn before they get into Challenger territory so it's all good. Superchargers are an easy 100lbs, right? Nobody gets bent out of shape over that. And so what if they shove 150-200lbs of batteries under the rear seats. The car would be better balanced to boot.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Ford has 500lbs to burn before they get into Challenger territory so it's all good. Superchargers are an easy 100lbs, right? Nobody gets bent out of shape over that. And so what if they shove 150-200lbs of batteries under the rear seats. The car would be better balanced to boot.
My supercharger with fluids added about 200lbs.

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
This is NOT the thinking we want to hear. The mustang should not be challenger weight, it needs to be much lighter.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Ford guy flipping off the photographer FTW.
Good catch! Had to go back to the article to have a laugh. :D

I’ll be first in line for an AWD 8 cylinder Mustang...so long as there is a manual option. Very excited to see the S650!
Yeah, hopefully the time for manuals to die is not yet near. When it is, I hope to be retired and done with driving, but being 28yo I doubt that timeline.

"...to boot." Yup, it's very light around the trunk. Sorry I'll see myself out...

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Good catch! Had to go back to the article to have a laugh. :D

Yeah, hopefully the time for manuals to die is not yet near. When it is, I hope to be retired and done with driving, but being 28yo I doubt that timeline.

"...to boot." Yup, it's very light around the trunk. Sorry I'll see myself out...
If they can pair electrification to manual im game.

the sema mustang electric was paired to a 6 speed manual

no idea how that works though. trying to wrap my head around it, there's no moving parts so its just weird

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If they can pair electrification to manual im game.

the sema mustang electric was paired to a 6 speed manual

no idea how that works though. trying to wrap my head around it, there's no moving parts so its just weird
Yeah I remember that vaguely.

I mean I would be game too for sure. Even if it is just a "fake" shifting thing, obviously there's not much gearing to change with EVs, but either way. Or maybe there'll be one reduction gear for economic driving and a couple manual-like ones for spirited driving... Dunno.

I wonder if it'll be like what the Honda CR-Z was like back in the day (Hybrid)

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Yeah I remember that vaguely.

I mean I would be game too for sure. Even if it is just a "fake" shifting thing, obviously there's not much gearing to change with EVs, but either way. Or maybe there'll be one reduction gear for economic driving and a couple manual-like ones for spirited driving... Dunno.

I wonder if it'll be like what the Honda CR-Z was like back in the day (Hybrid)

unless, it isn't touching an engine at all, and it simply changes gear ratios in the axles. I mean im trying to figure out how it would change any type of engine management using electric.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
Shouldn’t we have seen full camouflage prototypes by now?
Sponsored