• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rust belt / rust proofing

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I saw in another thread talk of rust due to road salt in the northern states and thought a new thread was best to address this. Question for y'all that live there: Has anyone ever tried NH oil undercoating (NHOU)? What results did you have? Is this something our rust belt members could have applied to their Mustangs to prevent car cancer?
Sponsored

sir5574

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
I park all my "fun cars" from thanksgiving till mid-march. you won't escape the salt, nor do you want an oil film all over the underside of your car... makes it a mess

lionblood981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium VB, PP AV 6MT
I park all my "fun cars" from thanksgiving till mid-march. you won't escape the salt, nor do you want an oil film all over the underside of your car... makes it a mess
While ideal, unfortunately a good chunk of owners probably need to daily their car through the winter, or at least for a few years like myself until I can afford a beater. Itā€™s something Iā€™m also looking to do but really donā€™t have much knowledge on the best course of action

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
My car is stored from Nov - Apr. Salt and rust are one consideration. Sand and rocks the other.

My daily is a Tacoma which has served me very well. As nice as I take care of it, the Winter elements have taken their toll. Not a flake of body rust but many areas of the panels have simply been worn down, pitted and chipped from everything physically thrown at it.

sir5574

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
While ideal, unfortunately a good chunk of owners probably need to daily their car through the winter, or at least for a few years like myself until I can afford a beater. Itā€™s something Iā€™m also looking to do but really donā€™t have much knowledge on the best course of action
If you can't afford 5 grand for a winter beater, can you really afford the mustang in the first place?

NS90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GFY
I daily drove mine through winters in the midwest. Skye's response is very accurate as far as expectations go as it would with any vehicle.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
NC here.. Might see salt brine 2 times a year. My Mustang won't be on the road for either of them.

OP
OP
BrianJ77

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol @ the people ignoring OP's original question and instead letting us know that they'll just be storing their car.. I'm sure OP wouldn't have created this thread if his intention was to store it.
I appreciate the comment! I actually live in an area with occasional to rare snowfall and will not daily mine in inclement weather. It was really something to put out mostly for curiosity sake as I had seen a comment on another thread about winter road salt, and to maybe help someone who will daily their car in the rough winters and prevent rust on the undercarriage.

OP
OP
BrianJ77

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I daily drove mine through winters in the midwest. Skye's response is very accurate as far as expectations go as it would with any vehicle.
I had a Fusion I drove through Kansas winters. No rust on her while I owned her, but the pitting and chips on the front of my car sure ruined the appearance fast!

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'd have to study these products in greater detail. I'm not doubting their inhibiting properties, but I do wonder how effective their application is towards getting into all the unseen areas, the sections that receive and accept water that eventually drips away or evaporates off.

You're trucking along, driving through a watery slush of brine/salt/chlorides for several miles; it's akin to putting a pressure washer under the vehicle, turning it on and leaving it in one place for a time.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
I saw in another thread talk of rust due to road salt in the northern states and thought a new thread was best to address this. Question for y'all that live there: Has anyone ever tried NH oil undercoating (NHOU)? What results did you have? Is this something our rust belt members could have applied to their Mustangs to prevent car cancer?
the mustang in my pfp has NH oil undercoating, i got it about 4-ish years ago, unfortunately my mufflers didnt get the coating treatment. 4 years on and the underside is just as black as when the spray got put on...my mufflers have a rust hole due to road salt from New England winter driving. i will note though, its 1-2 days to apply it, then you need to wait for a while before washing the car for the spray to harden onto the car.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
I used this stuff for years back in Rochester NY. The smell was strong so you let the car sit for a few days. It turns to a wax like coating. You can get it by the gallon or even 5 gallon. They use it on dairy equipent and off shore drilling rigs.
S650 Mustang Rust belt / rust proofing Screenshot_20230724-160807_Chrome

OP
OP
BrianJ77

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like NHOU works. If someone wanted to daily their Mustang in the snow they could if they were willing to have this undercoat applied. Appreciate the feedback. I've always wondered about that stuff.
Sponsored