• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rust prevention in the wheel well?

Glossox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Anyone have a spray coating they use to help prevent rust on the components in the wheel well? Also.. is it safe for me to remove the wheel for cleaning, and just put it back on (sticking to the manu torque recommendation).?
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Umm

OP
OP

Glossox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Umm

Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but i literally know nothing about this stuff. Just figured i might get some help or advice on here

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but i literally know nothing about this stuff. Just figured i might get some help or advice on here
Didn’t mean it that way. Wasn’t exactly sure where to begin

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Anyone have a spray coating they use to help prevent rust on the components in the wheel well? Also.. is it safe for me to remove the wheel for cleaning, and just put it back on (sticking to the manu torque recommendation).?
Cleaning the inside/backside of a wheel is highly suggested. Over time the inside will begin to pit and keeping it clean will deter that. There are products to help keep them clean, but good ole elbow grease and soap is the best. I've been told wheels can be ceramic coated to help keep them clean, but I'm not so sure about that. Wheels take a lot of abuse and I believe the coating will wear very quickly.

OP
OP

Glossox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Cleaning the inside/backside of a wheel is highly suggested. Over time the inside will begin to pit and keeping it clean will deter that. There are products to help keep them clean, but good ole elbow grease and soap is the best. I've been told wheels can be ceramic coated to help keep them clean, but I'm not so sure about that. Wheels take a lot of abuse and I believe the coating will wear very quickly.
Thank you. Should i take the wheels off in order to do this?, or just try to stick the brush in there?

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
I recommend taking wheels off so you can get to the inside of the wheels better. I've tried going thru the spokes in the front and its not as good.

OP
OP

Glossox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I recommend taking wheels off so you can get to the inside of the wheels better. I've tried going thru the spokes in the front and its not as good.
Much appreciated.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I ceramic coated the wheels and the barrels. Took them off, cleaned thoroughly, and applied the ceramic coating. Probably took about an hour to do all 4 wheels. Makes washing them easier.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I’ll also add that you can grab a good barrel brush and use it every time you clean your wheels. The barrels will stay clean and the use of iron remover probably every 10 washes will suffice. That’s if you wash weekly. If you wash less then I’d use it every 5-6 washes.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not too much gonna rust in the wheel well area, although there are reports of an opening that ‘may’ lead to the potential for subframe distress. However since not sure the level of expertise but I would highly recommend to leave the brake pads and rotors alone, don’t touch or spray anything on them, the rest is pretty much gonna be rust free. If you can see paint it will rust once the paint / covering is remove but otherwise it shouldn’t be a major source of rust concern - although on second though what are you doing 4x4’ing a Mustang.

OP
OP

Glossox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Not too much gonna rust in the wheel well area, although there are reports of an opening that ‘may’ lead to the potential for subframe distress. However since not sure the level of expertise but I would highly recommend to leave the brake pads and rotors alone, don’t touch or spray anything on them, the rest is pretty much gonna be rust free. If you can see paint it will rust once the paint / covering is remove but otherwise it shouldn’t be a major source of rust concern - although on second though what are you doing 4x4’ing a Mustang.
Thank you. I guess i was talking more about the springs, struts and control arms. But as you said.. the probably won’t rust?

Reactions: Zig

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
Thank you. I guess i was talking more about the springs, struts and control arms. But as you said.. the probably won’t rust?
The only way you will ensure you have no rust on the suspension parts is to coat them with something like an underspray that’s used in the north for rust prevention. Use a quality product and not something like ziebart or a bed coating.

I traded in an 08 Pontiac that never saw snow and there was very little if any surface rust on the suspension. I never coated anything but did take the wheels off every fall and thoroughly clean them before winter storage
Sponsored