• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Premium fuel for Mustang DH to be more expensive.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
According to Motor Trend, they were told by Ford officials on 12/15/22: Ford has confirmed that the 2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse's 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 will make an even 500 horsepower and 418 lb-ft of torque—on premium fuel. That's about what Ford estimated the Dark Horse would make prior to finalizing the numbers. But the news confirms that the Dark Horse is the most powerful non-Shelby Mustang ever. The original first look review continues below. the 2024 Mustang Dark Horse requires premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher. Regular gas may cause engine knocking and damage over time.

Here's some bad news for drivers of luxury cars and large sport-utility vehicles who are pumping the top grade of gasoline: the premium they pay over regular fuel is getting pricier. U.S. and European refiners are scrambling to get enough octane to make high-quality gasoline. There are several potential reasons for the shortfall, including the fallout of Russia's war in Ukraine, the impact of U.S. environmental regulations, and a lack of refining capacity. Premium gasoline at the pump is getting more expensive (detroitnews.com)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Octane requirements for the S550 5.0 were the same. I'd be surprised if they decreased with the DH.

The DH is a performance-oriented machine. If the cost of fuel is a bother for a future owner of a DH, it's a tell they are over-budget and should consider buying something else.

I'd love to see 93, but at altitude, all we get is 91; it's averaging a little under $5 a gallon here now. By May is should be over $6. It's one of the prices I pay to follow my passion.

Costs here are a bargain compared to others in the US and a steal for those in the EU.

Last edited:

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
Hate to sound dumb, but why not just run the cheap shit? I understand running ethanol free in carbureted cars, but not 91 in modern naturally aspirated EFI cars.

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco
Octane requirements for the S550 5.0 were the same. I'd be surprised if they decreased with the DH.

The DH is a performance-oriented machine. If the cost of fuel is a bother for a future owner of a DH, it's a tell they are over-budget and should consider buying something else.

I'd love to see 93, but at altitude, all we get is 91; it's averaging a little under $5 a gallon here now. By May is should be over $6. It's one of the prices I pay to follow my passion.

Costs here are a bargain compared to others in the US and a steal for those in the EU.
It appears that 91 was recommended for the Mach 1 and not required. https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...a&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web

I guess it depends if it’s a daily driver or just a garage queen. I wouldn’t love using premium all day everyday since it feels wasteful.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
It appears that 91 was recommended for the Mach 1 and not required.
You are correct: 91 is not required. Eighty-seven is the minimum.

Ford recommends running 91 for the car to operate at its best. I feel like I'm compromising something if I don't.

Last edited:

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K2375
No great shock here. A 500hp NA V8 needing higher octane gas. As @Skye said if the type/price of gas is an issue just get a regular GT. As far as pricing, it is was it is. I do not concern myself with things I have no control over.
Wouldn't the regular GT also require Premium?

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco
No. Premium is recommended for maximum performance but not required. Many folks on here use regular on a daily basis with no problems.
I do wonder if that might change for the 486 HP GT with the Active Exhaust. It would be interesting if the approximately 20 HP jump would necessitate the change from recommended to required. I guess the limit has to be somewhere.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I do wonder if that might change for the 486 HP GT with the Active Exhaust. It would be interesting if the approximately 20 HP jump would necessitate the change from recommended to required. I guess the limit has to be somewhere.
The 480hp Mach 1 didn’t require premium so it is unlikely the regular GT will. But we’ll see. 👍

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to the official Ford website1, the 2024 Mustang Dark Horse requires premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher. Regular gas may cause engine knocking and damage over time.

Here's some bad news for drivers of luxury cars and large sport-utility vehicles who are pumping the top grade of gasoline: the premium they pay over regular fuel is getting pricier. U.S. and European refiners are scrambling to get enough octane to make high-quality gasoline. There are several potential reasons for the shortfall, including the fallout of Russia's war in Ukraine, the impact of U.S. environmental regulations, and a lack of refining capacity. Premium gasoline at the pump is getting more expensive (detroitnews.com)
"Ford recommends using the highest octane rating available, but you should not use less than the 90-octane gas in Ford EcoBoost engines." Premium gas is not required to protect the engine." Most of the EcoBoost drivers (I've seen at the pump) use the cheapest gas possible (87 octane). Most gas stations (where I live) have two choices (87 or 91) of octane.

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

If you buying a DH, you are not to be using it as a daily driver, so you be will probably be buying gas about once a month.

seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
If you buying a DH, you are not to be using it as a daily driver, so you be will probably be buying gas about once a month.
Why are you not to be using it as a daily driver? If I buy one and it is fun to drive, I would daily the shyte out of it.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I am blown away that some of you would even think about putting 87 in a 12:1 engine.

I’m trying to get it on E85 ASAP
Here we go again. There a many, many threads about octane on this forum over the years. Not a single one has ever shown a Coyote engine harmed by using regular gas. Maybe not best for maximum performance/gas mileage, but certainly OK to use.
Sponsored