• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Older guy with manual

ShelbyMilk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 DH
I want to order a 2024 with manual, as I know it will be more fun to drive. But, I am 73 and wondering if a manual might become tiresome for me after a while. I will not track drive it at all - just around town to restaurants, stores, etc. Any of you older guys with a manual have an opinion?
The tremec and rev match is pretty smooth around town. I dodge rush hour if I want to row gears for fun.

But long term maybe the auto is best option and use paddles shifts for fun?
Sponsored

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
The only reason I would NOT get a manual would be if my work involved a one hour commute each way in stop and go traffic. I live in a small town, and I’m retired, so I didn’t hesitate to go with a stick shift.
BTW, I’m 85.
I'm 75. God bless you. I have the A10 in mine, but kind of miss the manual. Switched to autos in my C7 Z0's, but kind of miss the shifting. I find myself using the paddles most of the time in the Mustang.

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
i'm 77 and have been driving nothing but "clutch" cars since i was 16 and i've owned a lot of cars during that time and now. i believe it is a complete waste of money to buy a performance car with an automatic transmission. if i wanted to just step on the accelerator and steer, i'd get myself a used taxi.
The only thing I get tired of with an automatic transmission is hearing folks with manual transmissions tell me they would have beat me if they hadn't blown a shift. 😉

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
The only thing I get tired of with an automatic transmission is hearing folks with manual transmissions tell me they would have beat me if they hadn't blown a shift. 😉
LOL! Word.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
But long term maybe the auto is best option and use paddles shifts for fun?
Although, does the older one get determine how much longer is left

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
As long as it’s them saying it and not you 😉

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
As long as it’s them saying it and not you 😉
He doesn't seem the whiny, crybaby Gen Z or Millenial type ... :like:

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
I want to order a 2024 with manual, as I know it will be more fun to drive. But, I am 73 and wondering if a manual might become tiresome for me after a while. I will not track drive it at all - just around town to restaurants, stores, etc. Any of you older guys with a manual have an opinion?
For this type of car I would have no other, we are going to all be extinct soon enough (old guys driving manuals)

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
The main reason I bought my GT is that it is basically the last V8-manual trans convertible made that isn't over 200k.
Oh, and I'm 72, live in S Florida with horrendous traffic most days but I can pick and choose when I want to be on the road for the most part. At 72 there is still nothing like rowing your own for the sheer enjoyment of driving, in my opinion.
Sponsored