• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Manual transmission, MPG with different drive modes

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Hi. This question has been posted before, but the responses are all contradictory. So my question is: on my base GT without active exhaust with manual transmission, will I use as much gas if I drive in Sport mode vs. Normal default mode? The reason I'm asking is that I don't really feel the response change as much as I hear the engine sound completely different. Like I hear more rumble even when I don't floor it. Yet as far as I can tell, the MPG measures the same. I'd appreciate an official explanation.
Sponsored

P2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Vapor Blue Mustang GT Premium 401A 6 Speed
I have a 2024 GT Premium 6 speed and I haven't noticed that much of a difference in MPG when I'm driving in either normal or sport mode. Either one for me is averaging about 19.4 mpg and I'm getting about 320 miles to a tank on average. Alot of it depends on your driving style. if your doing a lot of hard pulls then your numbers will be lower. For me, the numbers are just based on "normal" driving. I only put 93 octane in my Mustang so, there's that...

Reactions: Dxm

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Are you referring to the muffler sounds? Or the driving patterns?

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I don't play with modes but my first tank of gas was the worst at 14miles/gal. Now I am falling between 17 and 19. The first was getting used to the feel of the gas peddle and getting comfortable with the car. Normally I shift around 2,000 rpm and go easy on the gas. More freeway driving would drive the average up but with most of my driving being short drives I am comfortable with the current numbers.
It comes down to if you're going to use those ponies, you have to feed them. Configuring the instant milage gauge helps you understand how just a little movement in the gas affects your milage.

OP
OP
Dxm

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Are you referring to the muffler sounds? Or the driving patterns?
I’m saying that if I simply drive at the same RPM, I’m wondering if the gas usage differs between the various drive modes. Because it sure sounds different.
Thanks.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I’m saying that if I simply drive at the same RPM, I’m wondering if the gas usage differs between the various drive modes. Because it sure sounds different.
Thanks.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I get it as someone had just previously explained the situation.
:cool:

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Thanks.
The different sound is the active exhaust. I have just been playing with it and I noticed that in regular mode, 6 gear is pretty muted. In sports mode, you can hear the exhaust. The change in back pressure might have a very small effect on milage at low throttle setting but probably not enough to make much of a difference. Modern exhaust is designed to reduce back pressure as much as possible. Headers and large diameter exhaust pipes reduce the back pressure a good deal. In short, run the drive mode where you want it as long as you don't get a noise ticket and enjoy it. There isn't going to be a noticeable difference on your pocket book.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
As much of a difference 6 pony’s make.

OP
OP
Dxm

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The different sound is the active exhaust. I have just been playing with it and I noticed that in regular mode, 6 gear is pretty muted. In sports mode, you can hear the exhaust. The change in back pressure might have a very small effect on milage at low throttle setting but probably not enough to make much of a difference. Modern exhaust is designed to reduce back pressure as much as possible. Headers and large diameter exhaust pipes reduce the back pressure a good deal. In short, run the drive mode where you want it as long as you don't get a noise ticket and enjoy it. There isn't going to be a noticeable difference on your pocket book.
I don't have active exhaust... But the sound of the engine is still noticeably different on my base model GT.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I don't have active exhaust... But the sound of the engine is still noticeably different on my base model GT.
Placebo effect? My gas mileage seems to stay the same regardless of mode. The only thing controlling your MPG is your right foot and when you upshift. If you're shifting around 2000 RPM, you'll get better mileage. Shift over 3000 RPM, your MPG will go down.

Oh, and if you give more throttle in your overdrive gears (i.e. 5th/6th), your MPG will go down, but not as much as if you were to downshift.

OP
OP
Dxm

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Not a placebo... passengers noticed it...

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
If you don't have the active exhaust, not sure how you're hearing differences in the engine. I believe I did read somewhere that the drive modes adjust throttle delivery (i.e. in slippery mode, if you hit the gas, the throttle gradually builds instead of a more 1:1 where the further you press the gas pedal the more throttle from the engine).
Sponsored