• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Oil Catch Cans

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang
State laws in CA forbid them. So you have to get one thats easy to instal and remove before the smog inspection
I didn’t know Cali and maybe some other states outlawed them.
Sponsored

S650Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Silverado, '21 Grand Cherokee L, '24 Mustang
I went with UPR. I don’t believe there are benefits over any particular brands. I personally think UPR looks the best and of high quality compared to other options on the market. It definitely is not the easiest to service with the strut tower bar right over the catch can. Small price to pay though.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
If that theory worked then no cat would plug up. There’s a difference between hitting a hot object and being exposed to a combustion. Also could possibly affect the O2 sensor readings.
Although with as little residue that is actually captured on most NA motors it probably wouldn’t make a difference. A boosted motor could cause more issues routing to the cat.
They usually plug from getting too hot and melting.

while not exactly a full throated recommendation the point of the statement was more along the lines of why would ca outlaw a catch can which actually prevents additional emissions and helps prevent the degradation of performance over time (which in turn increases emissions) when the whole point of the catalytic converter is to burn off the unburnt emissions.

Knightro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer Sport
Went with UPR too. Also found in the owners manual that ford recommends a catch can if you are tracking the car. It’s in the section under track use

UPRjoe

Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I'm wanting a dirty side PCV oil catch can. Is there any appreciable performance differences between the aftermarket billet ones? I've looked at Mishimoto, J&L and UPR. Any reason to go with one over another?
Thanks.
Just a quick heads up on the UPR Build Quality.

UPR uses instagrip braided hoses, aluminum fittings, multi-stage coalescing filters, and billet aluminum mounting brackets. UPR will deliver the best oil control on any PCV system without question. (No plastic catch can fittings, no stamped brackets and only the highest quality materials to ensure you get the best product in all aspects the first time around.)

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

UPRJoe

Metalman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse, 1992 GT Convertible
I have J & L. Easy to install. Catch can screws on and is removable for cleaning without any disassembly.

Stang24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang
I have the J&L. I had UPR but was a pain to access such a tight area to work with. J&L mounts on the driver side and there’s more room to access it with you hands

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I went with UPR. I don’t believe there are benefits over any particular brands. I personally think UPR looks the best and of high quality compared to other options on the market. It definitely is not the easiest to service with the strut tower bar right over the catch can. Small price to pay though.
I was talking to the guy from CJ Pony Parts recently and he prefers UPR over all others. Now that's his opinion, but since he probably has tested most of them on the market he probably has a pretty good feel.on what's the best and what isn't. I have a UPR can as well.

Wiley Marmot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Prem
I had a Livernois Motorsports catch can on my RS (traded in on my GT). They mounted it in a good location right up front in the engine bay. Very easy to hand tighten and remove.

Easy to see why factories don't put them on as OEM though. They circumvent the mandated PCV system.

Routing the PCV/catch can oil into the cat would be a financial boon to cat manufacturers and vendors!

"Oil can damage converters in multiple ways. Excessive oil, oil leaks, and burning oil can all lead to failure. Other causes include unburned fuel and leaking coolant. These issues are usually signaled by performance drops, a sulfur smell, the check engine light, and rattling sounds."

https://fourwheeltrends.com/oil-damage-a-catalytic-converter/

BTW: Definitely going to put one on my GT!

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
They usually plug from getting too hot and melting.

while not exactly a full throated recommendation the point of the statement was more along the lines of why would ca outlaw a catch can which actually prevents additional emissions and helps prevent the degradation of performance over time (which in turn increases emissions) when the whole point of the catalytic converter is to burn off the unburnt emissions.
It’s California. They usually don’t make much sense on most things. I mean they want to ban the sales of ICE the in the state by 2035

The reason the cats get hot is because excess oil or gas getting to the cat

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s California. They usually don’t make much sense on most things. I mean they want to ban the sales of ICE the in the state by 2035

The reason the cats get hot is because excess oil or gas getting to the cat
Don’t forget about everyone’s favirite oil burrners (diesels). If ca can trust diesels to refill def they should be able to trust clean burning gas to empty a catch can .

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a Livernois Motorsports catch can on my RS (traded in on my GT). They mounted it in a good location right up front in the engine bay. Very easy to hand tighten and remove.

Easy to see why factories don't put them on as OEM though. They circumvent the mandated PCV system.

Routing the PCV/catch can oil into the cat would be a financial boon to cat manufacturers and vendors!

"Oil can damage converters in multiple ways. Excessive oil, oil leaks, and burning oil can all lead to failure. Other causes include unburned fuel and leaking coolant. These issues are usually signaled by performance drops, a sulfur smell, the check engine light, and rattling sounds."

https://fourwheeltrends.com/oil-damage-a-catalytic-converter/

BTW: Definitely going to put one on my GT!
Do Diesel Engines Have Catalytic Converters?
https://mechanicbase.com/engine/do-diesel-engines-have-catalytic-converters/

UPRjoe

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
I have the J&L. I had UPR but was a pain to access such a tight area to work with. J&L mounts on the driver side and there’s more room to access it with you hands
I just wanted to share with you that we have a new UPR slotted catch can bracket that allows for easy installation, adjustments, and maintenance. As we had many requests on the way, the strut tower brace obstructed the bracket, so we made sure to eliminate the issue of it being so tucked in and hard to get to.

This UPR slotted catch can bracket gives the new shorter UPR quick-release knob all the clearance and easy access needed for QUICK and EASY on-the-fly maintenance.

Hope this helps.

UPRJoe

S650 Mustang Oil Catch Cans 5028-292-01-i2

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just wanted to share with you that we have a new UPR slotted catch can bracket that allows for easy installation, adjustments, and maintenance. As we had many requests on the way, the strut tower brace obstructed the bracket, so we made sure to eliminate the issue of it being so tucked in and hard to get to.

This UPR slotted catch can bracket gives the new shorter UPR quick-release knob all the clearance and easy access needed for QUICK and EASY on-the-fly maintenance.

Hope this helps.

UPRJoe

5028-292-01-i2.jpg
Interesting, any as installed pics?

UPRjoe

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
Here is the installed image under the strut tower brace to show the added clearance that the UPR quick-release knob and slotted bracket gives you. This makes the kit very simple to unscrew the quick-release knob held by a lanyard, and the slotted bracket eliminates any pressure for a quick and easy way to service the catch can.

We also offer a UPR clean side catch can mounted on the driver side for normally aspirated and power adder applications. I've included a picture so everyone can see the options for the 2024+ S650 Mustangs clearly.

To remove the UPR Catch Can from below the Mustang S650 strut tower brace, you release both plug-n-play catch can fittings and then unscrew the quick-release knob, and you are all set.

UPRJoe

S650 Mustang Oil Catch Cans 5028-292-01-i4

S650 Mustang Oil Catch Cans 5028-292-CSCC-i2
Sponsored