• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Oil Catch Cans

FredBGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Corvette
I'm wanting a dirty side PCV oil catch can. Is there any appreciable performance differences between the aftermarket billet ones? I've looked at Mishimoto, J&L and UPR. Any reason to go with one over another?
Thanks.
Sponsored

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I researched them for my S550 and ended up buying UPR.
I'm sure they're all fine choices, but I went with UPR and will buy one for my S650 as well. Made in the U.S., price is right.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Some items to consider: ease of use (how is it emptied) and ease of utilization (sight window)

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I researched them for my S550 and ended up buying UPR.
I'm sure they're all fine choices, but I went with UPR and will buy one for my S650 as well. Made in the U.S., price is right.
That's the one I am looking at as well.

Reactions: JAL

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang
I'm wanting a dirty side PCV oil catch can. Is there any appreciable performance differences between the aftermarket billet ones? I've looked at Mishimoto, J&L and UPR. Any reason to go with one over another?
Thanks.
If catch cans really make a difference, I can’t see why Ford doesn’t put them on at the factory

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
If catch cans really make a difference, I can’t see why Ford doesn’t put them on at the factory
Might not be legal to sell them pre-installed in all locations. Didn't the dark horse come with one stored in the boot from factory for a while along with a few other accessories that were fitted at the dealer.

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
Some items to consider: ease of use (how is it emptied) and ease of utilization (sight window)
"Ease of use". I went with the UPR for several reasons. However, the "Ease of use" issues ain't one of them. To empty it I'll have to take it apart (both hoses & the attachment knob). It cannot be unscrewed in place.
BTW: All the others may have the same issue. There's not a lot of room under the hood!

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
I never understood why they are so small and don’t all have drains included for this platform. The ones for the Mazdaspeed I had previously seem so much more user friendly. Check out Damond Motorsports.
I know none of the vented options will be EPA compliant but having a drain valve and a hose to the bottom of the car shouldn’t be an issue.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Because they require regular service or it will screw up the pollution equipment (and engine). Think of how bad the average person is about taking care of their car and its easy to see why manufacturers use the easy method of routing things into the intake to be burned instead.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because they require regular service or it will screw up the pollution equipment (and engine). Think of how bad the average person is about taking care of their car and its easy to see why manufacturers use the easy method of routing things into the intake to be burned instead.
Why not just route it to the catalytic.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Likely that the oil vapors would plug up the cats, causing more issues.
The cat is much hotter than the combustion chamber.

also there are some versions of ‘catch cans’ that are more separators than cans and actually ‘drain’ back into the oil pan / system.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
The cat is much hotter than the combustion chamber.

also there are some versions of ‘catch cans’ that are more separators than cans and actually ‘drain’ back into the oil pan / system.
If that theory worked then no cat would plug up. There’s a difference between hitting a hot object and being exposed to a combustion. Also could possibly affect the O2 sensor readings.
Although with as little residue that is actually captured on most NA motors it probably wouldn’t make a difference. A boosted motor could cause more issues routing to the cat.
Sponsored