• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New to The Dragstrip

Rufus2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Recently I took a a trip to the Dominion Raceway in Thrornburg, VA "Run what you Brung" event. Pretty laid-back event. I was surprised to lose each of my 3 of the 4 runs I attempted. Opponents were a Mustang, Supra (twice) and a Tesla S. My rubber was Continental Extreme Sport Track 02 255/40/19 with about 34 pounds of air. I tried both sport mode with traction control as well as drag mode. My biggest issue was spinning the tires. Can the group provide some tips for my next trip the the strip? I think my top speed for the 1/8 mile was in the low 90's.
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
34 may be a tad much ā€¦

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I had that as an afterthought and was wondering how much would be a good preasure to reduce to.
Iā€™d be tempted to start around 28

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
Recently I took a a trip to the Dominion Raceway in Thrornburg, VA "Run what you Brung" event. Pretty laid-back event. I was surprised to lose each of my 3 of the 4 runs I attempted. Opponents were a Mustang, Supra (twice) and a Tesla S. My rubber was Continental Extreme Sport Track 02 255/40/19 with about 34 pounds of air. I tried both sport mode with traction control as well as drag mode. My biggest issue was spinning the tires. Can the group provide some tips for my next trip the the strip? I think my top speed for the 1/8 mile was in the low 90's.
Can you post your timeslips? That will give us a better idea of what is going on?

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Bigger tires?? MT drag radials.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
You need a drag radial for best performance at the strip.
Nitto 555R2 is the standard ā€œstreet focusedā€ā€˜drag radial

a pair of either 275/40/18 or 275/40/19.

you also need to respect others that are racing mod the hell out of their cars.
I see stock looking supras running 9s consistently at my local trackā€¦ same with BMWsā€¦ itā€™s really apples/limes.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
Definitely get your pressure in the 20ā€™s. A time slip would be good to see. Curious as to your 60ā€™. And Supras are stupid quick. A downpipe and a tune they can add some serious power.

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
Go to an actual dragstrip to get a better feel for your cars performance.
What transmission and rear gears?

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
You have to learn how hard to launch. Especially with street tires. Leave just off idle and roll into the power slowly. Don't just punch it. Eventually you should be able to run mid to low 12's at about 115 mph. Practice makes perfect.
Also, leave on the last yellow. If you wait for green, you've lost.
The most important thing, have fun.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
When one one the major publications was testing either the S550 or S650 I remember they lowered the rear tires to 28 or 30 lbs and they increased the front tire pressure to 40 lbs to decrease rolling resistance.

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
Your ticket should show all the times at what distance.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I went to the drag strip yesterday to get some time with my new Mustang. Unfortunately after arriving I discovered that the drag radials I brought with me were not 18" like I thought, but were 17" - and no way to get that on a car with the performance package rear Brembo brakes.

So ran with the street tires - PIrelli Pzero summer tires.

Like someone said, do not just hammer it from the light. All I got with that was a ton of wheel hop and a terrible 60' time.

Since it was a TNT with not many people there I didn't worry about my reaction time - I wanted to figure out what works first and focused on how I was staging with my car (automatic, 3.55 torsen rear end, performance package, magneride, and active exhaust). I set it to drag mode. I found that bringing the rpm up to around 1800 and letting go of the brake and rolling into the throttle gave me the best launch and time.

Now to sell my old Race Star Dark Star 17 x 9.5 wheels and get some 19" wheels and the Nitto 555R in 275 -40 x 19 size (so it matches the stock set up) and work on the 60'.
S650 Mustang New to The Dragstrip 4-7-2024 pass
Sponsored