• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
But a great song!

We are a ways away from "Gleaming alloy air cars"
Yeah, great song about the freedom of driving fast and getting away with it, big time.:cheers:
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
"V8 power"...that's vague enough!

SN95 GT, that's still technically V8 power.
SN95/New Edge GT V8 = today's V6's (Mustang, Camry, Accord, you name it). I'd rather drive Ford's 3.7L V6 than that version of the 4.6L.

King Jackmode

HA! HA!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT, 2016 S550 EB
Sounds pretty darn interesting to me, Ford has my blessing. Let the waiting game begin.
Awesome! I'm sure they were waiting on that. I'll go ahead and let them know they have your blessing.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Its not just CAFE. Ford is a global company. Many European companies are moving towards the elimination of ICE sales all together by 2030. That's 13 years away. We have finite oil resources. The writing is on the wall. Car manufacturers need to move to EV. Hybrids are a step in that direction.

Couple this with the inevitability of autonomous cars, and the insurance rates will drop precipitously for those not actually driving their cars.

I think we will probably eventually move away from the concept of private ownership of vehicles altogether for daily mundane driving purposes. As people do other activities in the car, it just becomes a comfortable little room to video chat, work on a computer, or sleep while they commute to work.

Driving as a hobby/pleasure activity will become a niche.
It will become more expensive to drive manually due to insurance rates.

As for the sound of hybrids/ev's, it matters to older drivers, but that is due to conditioning. Younger generations will equate speed and performance with a different sound.

Rush wrote a song about this in the 80's called "Red Barchetta". :headbang:
Yes, I guess I'm part of the younger generation since I'm only 26. But I don't equate speed to the sound of a v8. Believe it or not, I actually like the sound of diesel engines(any size) more than a gas v8. Anything from a Cummins 4bt to a stroke to a Dirtymax. I would love to see a diesel or diesel hybrid in the Mustang. Good power, insane torque, and good mpg. I feel like this would be a step forward, but it would never happen. Just a thought.

But speed can come from any size motor. They all sound different. I think we should all know by now you can't please everyone. A hybrid and removal of the v8 is the next step, but I don't think electric is the answer. I think nuclear could be though. Ford had designed a concept in the 50s called the Ford Nucleon. It could travel 5k miles before needing to be recharged. Think about that. Think about how much longer runtime that is compared to a gas engine or electric vehicle. Not to mention that technology has advanced quite a bit since then. Just saying.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Maybe it will get the 4.8 V8 we keep seeing rumored with an additional 150-200hp/150-200tq from the electric motors :p
I'd be more than happy with a 4.8 in a Coyote-level state of tune or better . . . all by itself.

I don't need a car that's a rocketship in a straight line, don't even want one that'd be heavier, less responsive in a corner, or requires an AT. Electric motors for propulsion need not apply.

Norm

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT
Again, given with what we have now....the cost of the V6, turbo 4, and 5.0... how can we assume this turbo V6 or hybrid whatever which will obviously offer V8 performance will be cheap? This isn't about what enthusiasts wants, I'm making a point of will this tech do anything to make the car affordable... and as it stands anything closer to Camaro SS prices is a bad thing! I don't see this being cheaper than the V6 or ecoboost 4 so that only leaves two other spots open people..
The hybrid will be the top trim. I posted earlier that my prediction is Shelby, hybrid, GT, Ecoboost. That's the food chain.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes, I guess I'm part of the younger generation since I'm only 26. But I don't equate speed to the sound of a v8.
I'm about two generations older than you, and I don't equate speed or acceleration potential to the sound of a V8 either. But I do tie it much more closely to spark-ignition engines, the higher-revving the better.

I'm not the least bit interested in trucks, and the last thing I'd want would be a car that sounds like one. Hell, I don't even care so much for the V8 rumble any more, because around where I live it's mostly lifted trucks that sound like that, and nasty-sounding (not a compliment) Flowmastered Mustangs for most of the rest.

I worked in nuclear power for most of my career, first in Navy warships and later in the civilian nuclear power industry. Nuclear-powered cars . . . not gonna happen.

Norm

ansibe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP, Recaros, Koni Yellow, 350r springs.
Faraday Future FF91 electric car revealed with 1050 Hp!

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Faraday Future FF91 electric car revealed with 1050 Hp!
It can "outrun gravity".

0-60 in 2.39 seconds.

Only $180,000 :shrug:

For that much I would take a gt350r, 2017 zl1 and a Tesla model 3.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
SN95/New Edge GT V8 = today's V6's (Mustang, Camry, Accord, you name it). I'd rather drive Ford's 3.7L V6 than that version of the 4.6L.
That's the point...when he said V8 power, it doesn't really imply a particular range of power figures or performance. We are all hoping it means the V8's of today, but I don't have much confidence with the hybrid thing.

They could really abuse (cheat) the tuning of the engine, if they have the bottom range covered by the electrical drive, which is something I don't particularly like. Even today, the S550 could use some more low RPM torque, me thinks.

I guess we'll know by 2019...

ansibe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP, Recaros, Koni Yellow, 350r springs.
It can "outrun gravity".

0-60 in 2.39 seconds.

Only $180,000 :shrug:

For that much I would take a gt350r, 2017 zl1 and a Tesla model 3.
Outrunning gravity is worth bragging about!

My point is that electric motors have some serious get up and go! I can't think of an IC powered production car that can match this at any price. I would love to have this capability in a future Mustang.

King Jackmode

HA! HA!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT, 2016 S550 EB
Can you remind me who raised these terrible millennial generation? I forget.
Not me. I'm only 34. I had a great childhood, and was brought up right, so not my parents...