• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
S650 Mustang Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020 kby99rkijrxefszb5pgo

It's really fun to read the speculations made from a an extremely vague statement. What's great is how long you will have to wait to find out exactly. Were are months from a 2018 release and still don't know much about it. :lol:
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
24 page thread in <24 hours, 348 posts. Definitely a passionate topic. Maybe we should add a poll?

I'd buy/drive one, just not version 1.0.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
While I agree we need Nuclear power, I think calling it true green is a bit much. Ask those that lived in the Fukashima exclusion zones. Yucca Mountain/disposal is still a real issue.

We absolutely need to upgrade our grid. Its something that was discussed 6 years ago as a mechanism to kick start the economy, but was shot down.

There is a finite supply of oil. Whether we run out in 30 years or 100, it makes sense to move towards alternatives sooner, as the environmental impact of ICE automobiles is known. Human driven climate change is happening. People need to realize there is a cost to pissing carbon emissions into our closed system for 100+ years. The long term cost to NOT move towards better systems is significantly greater, especially in regards to national security and global instability. Its incontrovertible. Sea levels are rising. Its getting warmer. We continue to pump out way too much CO2.

If energy costs more in the short term, so be it.
This issue is much bigger than "I want my v8".

In the grand scope of things, if power prices go up and people are limited by what they can spew into the environment, that's a fair trade off to the alternative of accelerated rising sea levels, having to deal with millions of refugees, wars over clean water resources, and global food shortages.
There has not been a new nuclear plant for 35 years. Think about that for a bit. Look out how technology has changed in the last 35 years. I'll look it up but I do not believe Japan's reactors are much newer.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Its not just CAFE. Ford is a global company. Many European companies are moving towards the elimination of ICE sales all together by 2030. That's 13 years away. We have finite oil resources. The writing is on the wall. Car manufacturers need to move to EV. Hybrids are a step in that direction.

Couple this with the inevitability of autonomous cars, and the insurance rates will drop precipitously for those not actually driving their cars.

I think we will probably eventually move away from the concept of private ownership of vehicles altogether for daily mundane driving purposes. As people do other activities in the car, it just becomes a comfortable little room to video chat, work on a computer, or sleep while they commute to work.

Driving as a hobby/pleasure activity will become a niche.
It will become more expensive to drive manually due to insurance rates.

As for the sound of hybrids/ev's, it matters to older drivers, but that is due to conditioning. Younger generations will equate speed and performance with a different sound.

Rush wrote a song about this in the 80's called "Red Barchetta". :headbang:

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Maybe a offering a hybrid IS the way to keep the V8. Perhaps its a way to push up the overall average MPG and meet regulations. Just a thought cause I dont really know how that stuff works.

As for the weight, all the enthusiasts want a lighter Mustang for performance, and it will help MPG, but making a smaller car didn't help the camaro where it counts. I think the Mustang needs to get smaller, lighter, but also more practical. I wouldn't mind seeing a return of the hatchback. A nice roomy interior wrapped in small proportions. Small, light, quick, affordable has been the Mustangs recipe since it came out. Maybe let Lincoln carry on with this Luxobarge the Mustang has become since some buyers definitely want that.

bobbyh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm definitely interested but not holding my breath for a hybrid V-8 no matter what they say.

My only concern is the car is heavy enough as is. Also, if they add the electric batteries and reduce that weight with lighter weight materials the price is probably going to push up even more.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
Off course this announcement could also be a big smoke screen to mislead GM into developing a hybrid Camaro while Ford in 2020 all of a sudden reveals a full electric Mustang that does 0-60 in 3 seconds.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
There has not been a new nuclear plant for 35 years. Think about that for a bit. Look out how technology has changed in the last 35 years. I'll look it up but I do not believe Japan's reactors are much newer.
Like I figured, Fukushima was commissioned in 1971.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_Nuclear_Power_Plant

"Typically, some 44 million kilowatt-hours of electricity are produced from one tonne of natural uranium. The production of this amount of electrical power from fossil fuels would require the burning of over 20,000 tonnes of black coal or 8.5 million cubic metres of gas."

"Reprocessing separates uranium and plutonium from waste products (and from the fuel assembly cladding) by chopping up the fuel rods and dissolving them in acid to separate the various materials. It enables recycling of the uranium and plutonium into fresh fuel, and produces a significantly reduced amount of waste (compared with treating all used fuel as waste). See page on Processing of Used Nuclear Fuel. The remaining 3% of high-level radioactive wastes (some 750 kg per year from a 1000 MWe reactor) can be stored in liquid form and subsequently solidified."

http://www.world-nuclear.org/inform...introduction/nuclear-fuel-cycle-overview.aspx

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
I'd love to know how many sales Ford expect from the hybrid Mustang.
Could it be similar to Fusion? I couldn't find the broken down sales # thought.

Now thinking about the hybrid again, I'm afraid Ford would do the exact same thing they did with Fusion. It could be just a boring hybrid marketed for people who are into Prius etc but wanted something that look nice.

The "V8 power" statement is technically correct if they are planing to use the 2.3 EB. Heck, they could go with smaller displacement and still technically call it "V8 power".

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Rush wrote a song about this in the 80's called "Red Barchetta". :headbang:
I'm pretty sure that song was about the result of big government, not an energy crisis...probably totalitarian in nature. Not a good thing.:doh:

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Could it be similar to Fusion? I couldn't find the broken down sales # thought.

Now thinking about the hybrid again, I'm afraid Ford would do the exact same thing they did with Fusion. It could be just a boring hybrid marketed for people who are into Prius etc but wanted something that look nice.

The "V8 power" statement is technically correct if they are planing to use the 2.3 EB. Heck, they could go with smaller displacement and still technically call it "V8 power".
"V8 power"...that's vague enough!

SN95 GT, that's still technically V8 power.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
It will not be the 2.3, that's for damn sure.
It actually should be. The 3.5 is too damn heavy. People don't realize it's around 50lbs heavier than a coyote. This of course includes intercooler, associated piping etc.

The 2.3 should be reworked with a variable guide vane turbo (think new Cayman S) that will breath on the top end. A higher revving 4 at 350-375hp and a 100/100 motor will be an excellent drivetrain.

Total will be 450-475hp and 450tq+. If done right the weight of the total car will be very similar but with the variable vane turbo the under the power curve will be insane. I can see max torque at 1500-2000 AND carry to 6k +.

It'll be the fastest mustang yet (aside from shelby's)

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I'm pretty sure that song was about the result of big government, not an energy crisis...probably totalitarian in nature. Not a good thing.:doh:
But a great song!

We are a ways away from "Gleaming alloy air cars"

magnetic16gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
trip #1 - regular mustang v8, you want to go from DC to san fran, couple thousand miles....we stop for gas when we run out and roll on....stopping to eat and to sleep. no biggie....

trip #2 - mustang hybrid (electric), same trip as #1, have to stop every 300 miles to "charge" up (if i can find a station that has a charger, which might be off of my planned route) and i just cant gas n go, no i have to wait (hours) for my car to fully charge or else i dont make it the full 300, then i have to find a charging station when we stop for the night, then do it all over again the next day...and the next....

trip #1 - maybe 3 days.
trip #2 - lucky to make it in 5....

i dont see the benefit.
and this is not only the mustangs but all the hybrid cars....no long trips
You would get there in the same amount of time because hybrids don't need to be charged. Hence "hybrid." If the battery isn't charged, you will simply use the ICE. This is for all hybrids, too. You're thinking of a pure EV vehicle which would require stops for charging. I don't see a full scale conversion to that until our infrastructure supports it which Mr. Fields touched upon slightly.

When I worked at a high end hotel 5 years ago, we purchased a hybrid MKZ for our shuttle vehicle. I got the chance to drive it a few times, never having driven a hybrid before. What a strange sensation. 0-20 was like a catapult.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this hybrid. The Corvette community has been speculating about this for years with a lot of "old timers" still griping about the loss of carburetors and the possible loss of push-rod engines. So much negativity surrounded the release of the ecoboost in the Mustang for '15, but it has been wildly successful. They produced a slightly more economical vehicle at a lower price than the GT that allows a great demographic of people to enjoy the Mustang.

I love the sound of my GT. I contemplated an ecoboost when I sold my '14 GT because I was never truly utilizing the full potential of the car, but the sound alone kept me in the 5.0. However, if I had to choose between a high powered hybrid or $5-6+ a gallon on a car that averages 19 MPG, I'd probably jump all over that hybrid. I'm a millennial, though...whatever that means.
Sponsored