• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mustang EV Coupe Concept Thread

24PONY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grabber Blue Ecoboost Ford Mustang
I know this is way too early for this discussion and ill get some criticism for trying to start this, but i feel it needs to be discussed by true mustang fans and owners such as everyone on this forum. One of the things that bothered me about the cocept of the S650 was that Ford depended on a so called ā€œfocus groupā€. Whatever that is who really knows but hopefully by posting our ideas and suggestions now they will read this and take our opinions into account and get it right when the dreaded moment comes when our beloved ICE pony goes EV. So shoot away, what would you like to see in a Mustang EV sports coupe???? Exterior, interior, performance or whatever elseā€¦
Sponsored

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
While I don't think I see myself ever buying into a performance EV, I think the most important item for Ford to address in a Mustang EV would be its overall proportions. It needs to be smaller than S550/S650 - way smaller.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
With the current technology you can't just build a regular looking Mustang as an EV. You have to have the insane amount of space in the underbody for the batteries. A long hood doesn't make any sense for an EV. And you have to make the chassis as aerodynamic as possible, which means removing the big grilles, smooth out a very low sitting frontend and the rearend.

I doubt the car would still be recognizable as a Mustang. The only BEV that looks really amazing and not like EV-requirements shaped the car is the e-tron GT. But I doubt Ford would be able to build such a refined car for a reasonable Ford pricing.

S650 Mustang Mustang EV Coupe Concept Thread 1669275947144

And of course the Charger Concept is awesome, but we will have to see the pricing, weigth and mileage it can achieve.
S650 Mustang Mustang EV Coupe Concept Thread 1669276114906

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Actually, not too early.

This month I received a follow-up purchase survey from Ford. The initial survey was about QC, styling, personality, etc. This second survey focused (pun) almost exclusively on why I picked the Mustang, asked of other specific models, if I considered those, and, under what conditions would I buy an EV.

There have been discussions here and elsewhere of Ford using the Mustang name as a brand, the performance division of Ford, with multiple models using the Mustang name.

Throughout this second survey, Ford focused (pun) on the Subaru WRX, Mazda Miata, Kia Stinger and another car which escapes (pun) me.

At the end of the survey, I was left with the overall impression Ford is exploring (pun) creating yet another coupe, something of the WRX or Miata size, which will be an EV.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
Last edited:

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
On the topic of electric pony cars, Chevy showed this concept a few days ago. I, and many others noted how some of these design cues could make their way onto an EV Camaro.

S650 Mustang Mustang EV Coupe Concept Thread 2022-Chevrolet-FNR-XE-Concept-sedan-China-Exterior-001-front-three-quarter-1024x683

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I am preparing, got this on monday, don't hate :D (no did not get it because it's called Mustang)

1669301087679.png

This design from Mazda and they announcing investing 10B+ in development in EVs got me going a bit

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...fOpu0OGPwu2v9rqk6mHojzGBesC_s&mibextid=Zxz2cZ
Mazda confirmed the next gen Miata which is close to release will be ICE only most likely. They showed all the generations of the Miata immediately before teasing this concept. So with that in mind, if the next gen Miata looks like that, holy shit sign me up, especially if they're still hovering in the 27-32k mark. I know it's a hardtop, good, makes the Miata even better in terms of looks and performance.

S650 Mustang Mustang EV Coupe Concept Thread vision-study-model2-l-1669143046

S650 Mustang Mustang EV Coupe Concept Thread vision-study-model-l-1669140017

OLD Texan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When the ICE goes away, so should the Mustang. Its been a long run and the defining essence of the Mustang has always been a particular sound of the V8. Without that the Mustang just will not exist. Ford can build any number of EV performance cars just can no longer call it a Mustang.
Many will disagree, but think of it this way. The P51 Mustang, the Spitfire, the P38 were iconic aircraft, but no one would name modern jets after these aircraft.

Better to remember the original than to give the name to something that no longer meets the one thing that defined it.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
When the ICE goes away, so should the Mustang. Its been a long run and the defining essence of the Mustang has always been a particular sound of the V8. Without that the Mustang just will not exist. Ford can build any number of EV performance cars just can no longer call it a Mustang.
Many will disagree, but think of it this way. The P51 Mustang, the Spitfire, the P38 were iconic aircraft, but no one would name modern jets after these aircraft.

Better to remember the original than to give the name to something that no longer meets the one thing that defined it.
They would never abandon it strictly from a sales and marketing perspective, despite how fair those points are

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
These have been images of a Mustang EV coupe since the Mach e was first announced.

1669302762671.png

1669303024635.png
Top render looks like the homework of a first-year transportation design studentā€™s work and the bottom looks like a 5-minute shop of the Mach-E lol

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
The only thing I can think of is to pipe some sound to resemble acceleration and/or maintaining speed inside the car. Whether that sound resembles various V8s from the Mustangs over the years, or an orchestra of adorable kittens meowing...just something energetic to keep me wide awake on a long road trip.

OLD Texan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Lol, the anxiety of planning for multiple recharge events will keep EV owners awake on long road trips. šŸ˜•. That and the recurring thought ā€œwhy in the hell did I spend 60k plus for this thingā€

Likely economics will drive some portion of keeping the Mustang name for an EV. But over time I think the EV Mustang name will fade away.
Now old guys like me will not be around to see this. But current 20 to 40 year old Mustang enthusiasts will be here when the EV movement gets rolling, and I donā€™t think they will care what ford calls their performance cars, just not Mustang.

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
...I think the most important item for Ford to address in a Mustang EV would be its overall proportions. It needs to be smaller than S550/S650 - way smaller.
Why? ( Not being snarky here, I'm just really intrigued by your statement and want to see what you're seeing). Would you propose 1965 proportions, or smaller still ( like Miata-sized?).
And in all fairness, I'll haven't researched the size difference between 1965 Mustangs, Gen 6/7 Mustangs, and Miata's. Please elaborate, I'm interested!
Sponsored