• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mixing E85 with 93 Octane for more power?

JoesProGTO

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Pro Street 74 GTO, 2024 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
I just saw the video below, where the YouTuber claims he mixes 6 gallons of E85 with 10 gallons of 93 Octane (per tankful) to gain significant horsepower in his 2024 GT….without a tune (obviously).
Any thoughts on this? He claims as long as you are keeping the overall mixture around E40 (or under E50) the ECU will not generate an error code. 🤔 I haven’t tried it yet and wanted to tap the knowledge base here first.

Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
It's been known since the previous generation. All the shops with the fast S650's are running 30-40% E

OP
OP
JoesProGTO

JoesProGTO

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Well,my only reason for asking is I’m old-school (carburetors and high octane gas 😁) and I’m not sure if the ECU would advance timing based on the higher octane from the E. I know you lose some BTU’s from the E…just trying to fill in the gaps in my experience. I’m not a trial and error guy…I’ll trial something if I’m confident there will be no error.

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0
Without a tune, no, I doubt it because E85 has much less energy density than gasoline, therefore, if you're at E40 you need more fuel flow per given airflow to make more power. The computer has no way of knowing its E40 without a tune so therefore it won't send more fuel, thus, less power due to the less energy dense fuel.

OP
OP
JoesProGTO

JoesProGTO

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Without a tune, no, I doubt it because E85 has much less energy density than gasoline, therefore, if you're at E40 you need more fuel flow per given airflow to make more power. The computer has no way of knowing its E40 without a tune so therefore it won't send more fuel, thus, less power due to the less energy dense fuel.
Without a tune, no, I doubt it because E85 has much less energy density than gasoline, therefore, if you're at E40 you need more fuel flow
per given airflow to make more power. The computer has no way of knowing its E40 without a tune so therefore it won't send more fuel, thus, less power due to the less energy dense fuel.
Yes, that’s what I was thinking…the tune would allow the necessary fuel control, etc. But, according to the video shared by Q6543 above, there are some modest gains…

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0
Yes, that’s what I was thinking…the tune would allow the necessary fuel control, etc. But, according to the video shared by Q6543 above, there are some modest gains…
There's too many unknowns from that video. I doubt they were really at E30 or E35 like he said, unless they had very little 93 octane in the tank. To be at E30 with only 1 gal of E85 they'd have to only have 1.8 gallons of 93 octane (assuming ethanol free); I doubt they had that little, but they didn't say. Most likely what's happening is the mixture is probably more like E10 and the increase in hp is due to an increase in octane which the car can accommodate. Most cars can handle E10 from the factory, and the E85 is in small enough amounts that it is increasing the octane but still at E10 or less.

Don't go to E40 - it won't work on a factory tune.

OP
OP
JoesProGTO

JoesProGTO

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
There's too many unknowns from that video. I doubt they were really at E30 or E35 like he said, unless they had very little 93 octane in the tank. To be at E30 with only 1 gal of E85 they'd have to only have 1.8 gallons of 93 octane (assuming ethanol free); I doubt they had that little, but they didn't say. Most likely what's happening is the mixture is probably more like E10 and the increase in hp is due to an increase in octane which the car can accommodate. Most cars can handle E10 from the factory, and the E85 is in small enough amounts that it is increasing the octane but still at E10 or less.

Don't go to E40 - it won't work on a factory tune.
I agree with your assessment! Variables unknown. 👍 Thanks for your input.

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
Noooo. Don't do it. Your fuel system components are not made for that high a concentration of ethanol. Have you read your owner's manual? Does it say to never run over 10 or 15% ethanol? Like mentioned, you are not tuned for it. Have a problem and watch them not warranty your engine due to not following recommended fuels.

OP
OP
JoesProGTO

JoesProGTO

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Noooo. Don't do it. Your fuel system components are not made for that high a concentration of ethanol. Have you read your owner's manual? Does it say to never run over 10 or 15% ethanol? Like mentioned, you are not tuned for it. Have a problem and watch them not warranty your engine due to not following recommended fuels.
Yes…too many reasons not to do it. All your points are valid. Thank you and everyone else for your responses. Glad I posted. 🙂

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
Except as I already said, people do it. The computer will sense the car is running lean and add more fuel. The car will also give itself more timing.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
If it could add more fuel you'll be ok up until the point you run out of injector and end up running lean at high rpm and wot. The engine won't last long at that point before something melts. Also got to hope the fuel trims adapt fast enough
Sponsored