• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hoping for the DCT in the New S650 Mustang

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Maybe in the GT500 versions.....

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
There won't be a fancy DCT in the base mustangs. Honestly, I am shocked that there is still an option for a manual. Maybe for the halo mustangs (GT500, 350, etc. but I doubt it)

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
It would be cool if they put a dual-clutch in the S650's lower trims, but I would be fine if they carried over the 10-speed auto from the current-gen model. Personally speaking, I would like to see Ford offer the 6-speed Tremec manual from the GT350/Mach 1 on the lower trims. Haven't really heard many good things from the Getrag version...

-SG

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
DCT trans will be a gt500 trans. I could possibly see it making it's way into the mach one or whatever comes next after a few years.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I think it will depend on how quickly and cheaply Tremec can pump them out ...

Never underestimate the will to make a $. There was a time too when people said Magnetic ride was the reason why Ferraris drove how they were and that the tech is for luxury cars only. Times change.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
It's funny how a DCT is considered a "cheap" transmission here in Europe.
"Converter automatic" has been the go to trans for premium brands like BMW and Mercedes and rightfully so.
A DCT might be a bit faster but that will be overcome sooner rather than later. The ZF 8hp in my BMW is just amazing offering both a smooth and quick shifting/switching process. I've driven many german DCT variants in VW's, AUDI's or Mercedes and I didn't like a single one of them. The ZF 8hp is hands down the best I've driven so far. Maybe it's a different story on the track but I would assume that most people use the Stang as a GT.

I would prefer the A10 in the Mustang over a DCT although I would opt for a manual. A "driver's car" should be driven ;)

fpvfan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 mustang GT
I don't understand Ford, but then again, I don't really understand ANY of the American auto manufacturers at all.
To me (and this is just my opinion), yes, the S650 should get a DCT, in fact it should have two DCT options. A regular DCT and a Hybrid DCT (also an electric DCT, so technically 3 DCT versions, but I'll talk about that later). I honestly have very high hopes for the S650, although I'm genuinely sure 99% of what I hope for with the S650 won't ever see the light of day. Beyond my hopes of Ford finally putting the Shelby name to rest I genuinely hope that the S650 will grow to the size of the Challenger/Charger from Dodge which would also be about the size of the BMW 8-Series coupe and grand coupe. With Ford Bringing the Ranger up from Australia and bringing the Bronco back from the grave, I think it's also about time to bring the Falcon name from the Australian grave and bring it back to the states as the 4-door sister car to the Mustang just like it was in the 60's and Just like the Challenger and Charger are to each other or the BMW M3/ BMW M4. Giving both vehicles elements not only from the regular mustang but exterior styling elements from the Mach-E as well. Another thing is that it is time to bring the Mustang (and Falcon) to the 21st Century and realize that the V8 engine is no longer needed in the Mustang (or Falcon) or honestly anything. Along with the DCT units both hybrid and normal, it's time to kick the Ecoboost platform into full gear. Hot-V twin turbo hybrid V6 engines (next gen 3.0 and 3.5L), Inline-6 Turbo 3.8L hybrid engine, cross plane crank 2.3L Turbo-4 engine and a 2.7L Inline-5 Turbo engine. Turbo Hybrid engines give more horsepower and torque than most V8 engines and tuned properly along of 6-cylinder engines can sound very nice (2jz-gte, Ford Barra, VQ38DETT, and RB26 to name a few). Honestly, the S650 should have ICE/hybrid crossover as well to truly replace the Ford Edge with something under Explorer and it could have truly bore the Taurus name. Being that one of the most popular versions of the Taurus was the wagon, Ford could have done themselves a solid by bringing the Taurus back to the states as a crossover which would have bore the likeness of a Durango by being long and low but still being smaller than the explorer and lower to the ground and Ford could have offered an ST, a RS and a SHO package for the vehicle along with the regular versions of course and could have really turned up the heat in offering three vehicles on the same platform, no V8s, several hybrid powertrains, dynamic performance options, and could compete globally with the rest of the highly desirable vehicles from Europe and Asia. Truly modern American muscle that blends smart powerful powertrains with smaller carbon footprints.

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I don't understand Ford, but then again, I don't really understand ANY of the American auto manufacturers at all.
To me (and this is just my opinion), yes, the S650 should get a DCT, in fact it should have two DCT options. A regular DCT and a Hybrid DCT (also an electric DCT, so technically 3 DCT versions, but I'll talk about that later). I honestly have very high hopes for the S650, although I'm genuinely sure 99% of what I hope for with the S650 won't ever see the light of day. Beyond my hopes of Ford finally putting the Shelby name to rest I genuinely hope that the S650 will grow to the size of the Challenger/Charger from Dodge which would also be about the size of the BMW 8-Series coupe and grand coupe. With Ford Bringing the Ranger up from Australia and bringing the Bronco back from the grave, I think it's also about time to bring the Falcon name from the Australian grave and bring it back to the states as the 4-door sister car to the Mustang just like it was in the 60's and Just like the Challenger and Charger are to each other or the BMW M3/ BMW M4. Giving both vehicles elements not only from the regular mustang but exterior styling elements from the Mach-E as well. Another thing is that it is time to bring the Mustang (and Falcon) to the 21st Century and realize that the V8 engine is no longer needed in the Mustang (or Falcon) or honestly anything. Along with the DCT units both hybrid and normal, it's time to kick the Ecoboost platform into full gear. Hot-V twin turbo hybrid V6 engines (next gen 3.0 and 3.5L), Inline-6 Turbo 3.8L hybrid engine, cross plane crank 2.3L Turbo-4 engine and a 2.7L Inline-5 Turbo engine. Turbo Hybrid engines give more horsepower and torque than most V8 engines and tuned properly along of 6-cylinder engines can sound very nice (2jz-gte, Ford Barra, VQ38DETT, and RB26 to name a few). Honestly, the S650 should have ICE/hybrid crossover as well to truly replace the Ford Edge with something under Explorer and it could have truly bore the Taurus name. Being that one of the most popular versions of the Taurus was the wagon, Ford could have done themselves a solid by bringing the Taurus back to the states as a crossover which would have bore the likeness of a Durango by being long and low but still being smaller than the explorer and lower to the ground and Ford could have offered an ST, a RS and a SHO package for the vehicle along with the regular versions of course and could have really turned up the heat in offering three vehicles on the same platform, no V8s, several hybrid powertrains, dynamic performance options, and could compete globally with the rest of the highly desirable vehicles from Europe and Asia. Truly modern American muscle that blends smart powerful powertrains with smaller carbon footprints.
Well, the no V8 option would probably keep the value of the current Gens high! For me personally, without a V8, it's just blah. If I'm gonna do a v6 turbo car, it won't be a mustang. I'd probably be interested in the new Nissan Z car for v6 turbo power. V8 hybrid I would really enjoy, but no V8 option is a no thank you for me. Yes, you could make a v6 turbo car or hybrid car as powerful or even more powerful than a V8, but more powerful than a V8 hybrid? Or a FI V8 hybrid? Probably not, at least not as easy. That said, I see no reason to not offer lots of power train options. Those who want the efficiency can get little 4 cylinder or 6 cylinders and hybrids and what not, and those who want V8s can have them as well.
Sponsored