• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT or Dark Horse? (The Important Differences)

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I think the GT looks way better and the name doesn’t annoy me, but there are two issues concerning me:

1) how bad is the MT82 still… like I’d have to immediately buy an MGW or Barton kit to be moderately happy with it.

2) is the DH going to drive like the Mach and GT350? Is the new GT/PP going to drive like the old GT/PP? If that’s the case, then I’m going to have an extremely tough time going back to a GT. The steering and suspension tuning are literally night and day.

If they fixed the GT’s awful steering habits and tied down the suspension a bit better and if the MT82 isn’t hot trash then I’ll probably order a GT pending reviews. Fingers crossed they worked some magic because a lot of stuff sounds carryover.

DH is a hard sell right now. Missing an X factor versus the Mach, Boss, and Shelby models and I imagine it won’t overcome the pricetag for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
If they fixed the GT’s awful steering habits and tied down the suspension a bit better and if the MT82 isn’t hot trash then I’ll probably order a GT pending reviews. Fingers crossed they worked some magic because a lot of stuff sounds carryover.

DH is a hard sell right now. Missing an X factor versus the Mach, Boss, and Shelby models and I imagine it won’t overcome the pricetag for me.
1. What awful steering habits does the current GT have?
2. Price and complete lack of track ambitions aside, I'd consider a Dark Horse if it weren't for the gray parts underneath the headlights. That's the one design element that just about ruins it for me. 😕

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
2. Price and complete lack of track ambitions aside, I'd consider a Dark Horse if it weren't for the gray parts underneath the headlights. That's the one design element that just about ruins it for me. 😕
It’s really disconnected, like somehow gummy and wooden at the same time. Not the tightest on-center and not the most accurate when weight starts transferring. Resistance doesn’t build linearly and the preset steering weights are really artificial; it doesn’t match the load of the front tires or the amount of lock dialed in. And the car has overpowered return-to-center habits at low speed instead of tracking with the front end’s inertia a little more.

I don’t know what they specifically changed in the 350 (and reportedly the 500 and maybe M1 too) but none of that exists in those cars. Super tight, super accurate, super natural. They just tramline like SOBs.

Also, I don’t think Ford’s released steering ratio numbers yet, but I’m praying it’s better than the 16:1 on all S550 models. That’s slower than most family cars.

I feel you on the headlight/bumper graphic. Also, I prefer the duct styling on the GT’s front end more. Just wish it didn’t have the fake black grille border.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I may not understand all the technicalities and terminologies associated with engaging handling/driving, but I think that explains at least a little bit why the S550 GTs I've had the opportunity to test drive aren't as engaging on the turns as my EcoBoost feels like it is. I guess if I were to put it simpler terms, it feels slightly less communicative (from the steering wheel to the tires) on turn engagement in the GT than the EcoBoost? Or would more weight from the engine in the front of the GT cause that?

(Or maybe I'm just overthinking things again? 😅)

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
It’s really disconnected, like somehow gummy and wooden at the same time. Not the tightest on-center and not the most accurate when weight starts transferring. Resistance doesn’t build linearly and the preset steering weights are really artificial; it doesn’t match the load of the front tires or the amount of lock dialed in. And the car has overpowered return-to-center habits at low speed instead of tracking with the front end’s inertia a little more.

I don’t know what they specifically changed in the 350 (and reportedly the 500 and maybe M1 too) but none of that exists in those cars. Super tight, super accurate, super natural. They just tramline like SOBs.

Also, I don’t think Ford’s released steering ratio numbers yet, but I’m praying it’s better than the 16:1 on all S550 models. That’s slower than most family cars.

I feel you on the headlight/bumper graphic. Also, I prefer the duct styling on the GT’s front end more. Just wish it didn’t have the fake black grille border.
I believe the PP2 and M1 did get a quicker rack compared to the GT

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
- The Mach 1 front wasn't that unique looking comparing to the Darkhorse. The Mach 1 had these ugly round shaped "things" in the grill trying to pay hommage to the original Mach 1, didnt event had a shaker hood (but just foiled)
Ugly faux lights? Hey, they are great. 2013-14 Boss also had them. It's not like Dark Horse isn't copying RTR grille, right? (and I never liked that grille tbh). The lower section of the DH's front is very similar to Mach 1 with openings for additional coolers (which just copies GT350). Overall Mach 1's is much cleaner, loved it from day one over S550 GT. Dark Horse's grill compliments its overall look, it's nice, at least they didn't fuck this up like some other brands.

S650 Mustang GT or Dark Horse? (The Important Differences) 2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-126-1622135365

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Great post. The value of the Mach one is not there and A lot of s550 guys will not upgrade to the s650 for a while (if they do) because of the increased cost vs what they’re getting in return (performance-wise, not aesthetic). I’m real curious how the s650 GT PP suspension and handling will be out of the box. Like some others mentioned, if it’s tightened up and cleaned up, throw an MGW in and call it a day.

so when i looked at a new performance pack vs base gt earlier in the year i found it hard to justify the $6500 or $20000 for a mach one over a base GT. Looked at a lot of info here before I bought the car. Seems a lot of guys with PP were upgrading tires, rims & susp etc anyway. So I bought the new base '21 gt 6sp, 301A off the lot for $40k. Tracked it twice over the summer with SCCA track nights at pocono raceway. 2 new mach 1's were in my rearview for every session. Moral of the story, you can get better upgrades with the extra $$$ you save on the PP or mach 1 unless you really don't want to be bothered doing your own upgrades.

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
Ugly faux lights? Hey, they are great. 2013-14 Boss also had them. It's not like Dark Horse isn't copying RTR grille, right? (and I never liked that grille tbh). The lower section of the DH's front is very similar to Mach 1 with openings for additional coolers (which just copies GT350). Overall Mach 1's is much cleaner, loved it from day one over S550 GT. Dark Horse's grill compliments its overall look, it's nice, at least they didn't fuck this up like some other brands.

2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-126-1622135365.jpg
I appreciate your way of looking at it, but those lights ain't doing it for me. It is just plastic glued on the grill. Has no function whatsoever but paying hommage to the original Mach 1. If I put Mach 1 and DH next to each other, I see quite the difference.

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
Same for me with that gray part underneath the headlights. If I am going to get the DH, I will get it done after market in glossy black so that the whole front becomes 1 design/colour language.

S650 Mustang GT or Dark Horse? (The Important Differences) dh alt.JPG

Fidelity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
All new steering ra

All new steering rack. 20 percent quicker. Smaller and thicker steering wheel. Some GT350 inspired chassis changes. MT has been reworked. Looks like all good 😊

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
All new steering ra

All new steering rack. 20 percent quicker. Smaller and thicker steering wheel. Some GT350 inspired chassis changes. MT has been reworked. Looks like all good 😊
SAY LESS 😍

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
If I put Mach 1 and DH next to each other, I see quite the difference.
Yeah, they are very different in execution, not so much in the elements however (top grille, bottom grille, functional side vents, ribs next to them). Main difference is retro look vs ultra-sleek modern look. And the headlights only emphesize that. They kinda stopped playing the retro card and went full modern. And in that they succeed, at least externally. It doesn't have huge front grille, it's not spoiled, yay!

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
They kinda stopped playing the retro card and went full modern.
This is a stretch, but I made this correlation:

S550 - Foxbody
2018-2023 Facelift - SN95
S650 - New Edge
Sponsored