• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Gauges

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 2022 MT
Ford has come and said only 40% of the S650 Mustangs will come with a stick
I don’t recall why I think so but I have held the belief that Ford had been producing exactly 19% of manual transmission Mustangs per year.
I am surprised they doubled the number.
Sponsored

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
For a speedometer, maybe, especially if the velocity of the vehicle is relatively the same while watching . But for anything else where interpreting the fast rate of changes to a value, a analog-like display with a needle is largely superior.
Assuming this thread is about Gauges, not just speedometers.
The great thing about a digital display is that you can have whichever one you want, just change the setting

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
For a speedometer, maybe, especially if the velocity of the vehicle is relatively the same while watching . But for anything else where interpreting the fast rate of changes to a value, a analog-like display with a needle is largely superior.
this all really depends on the tech behind it though, it can be slower just as easily as it could be faster. Depending on how much Ford relies on Unreal Engine for their software, it could be a non-issue handling information being transmitted hundreds of times a second

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Every day, I see red light jockeys revving their Mustangs from red light to red light. A lot of noise and only going 35,mph.
Me personally, I say if they're not endangering anyone's lives, let them have their fun.

Where I live there's a significant amount more young people than older folk that own Mustangs. They're not going to be in their 20s forever...

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Me personally, I say if they're not endangering anyone's lives, let them have their fun.

Where I live there's a significant amount more young people than older folk that own Mustangs. They're not going to be in their 20s forever...
They do it because they think they are trying to impress the folks around them, they have a hot car. It's 2023, no one cares.

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
They do it because they think they are trying to impress the folks around them, they have a hot car. It's 2023, no one cares.
Depends on the person. I can tell you that I know of someone in his early 20s who, when he gets a chance to drive a nice muscle car, does it because he loves the sound and feel of the car, not because he wants to impress someone.

You're 100% right that most younger people want to look good in the car they drive, but I don't think generalizing an entire subset of the population on the sole basis that they're young is the way to make assumptions.

As a side note - this same guy can drive a manual proficiently. Just to take it a step further and demonstrate that not all young people are defined by the stereotype.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
No..

But what they really are, is cheap. Especially when they're just stuck onto the dash, rather than integrated into the dash.

OK, some (quite a lot it seems) like digital displays. 'Real gauges' - mmmm you mean electronic approximations of real gauges. There haven't been any true analogue gauges for 30+ years

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this all really depends on the tech behind it though, it can be slower just as easily as it could be faster. Depending on how much Ford relies on Unreal Engine for their software, it could be a non-issue handling information being transmitted hundreds of times a second
Absolutely.

Lexus fitted a screen to the LFA with an 'analogue' style rev counter because a conventional needle couldn't keep up with the engine.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A digital interpretation of an analogue gauge is actually the quickest to respond

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 2022 MT
A digital interpretation of an analogue gauge is actually the quickest to respond
Yes, and once they address all the digital displays’ other problems (sun glare, black levels, contrast, bezels, etc), it will be a winner. They did an excellent job with the S550 digital dash to mitigate those shortcomings. It is unbelievable that none of those lessons and good execution have been retained for the S650 displays.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, and once they address all the digital displays’ other problems (sun glare, black levels, contrast, bezels, etc), it will be a winner. They did an excellent job with the S550 digital dash to mitigate those shortcomings. It is unbelievable that none of those lessons and good execution have been retained for the S650 displays.
Have you driven an S650 yet to know how the setup works?

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on the person. I can tell you that I know of someone in his early 20s who, when he gets a chance to drive a nice muscle car, does it because he loves the sound and feel of the car, not because he wants to impress someone.

You're 100% right that most younger people want to look good in the car they drive, but I don't think generalizing an entire subset of the population on the sole basis that they're young is the way to make assumptions.

As a side note - this same guy can drive a manual proficiently. Just to take it a step further and demonstrate that not all young people are defined by the stereotype.
The number one vehicle, in my area that young males drive, are 4 door Honda Civics with a loud cheap muffler, not Mustangs.

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
Really? My local Ford dealership (3 miles away) only has two 2023 Mustangs on his lot and both are autos.
Stacks of them. Tons.

Your local dealer is just one of thousands.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacks of them. Tons.

Your local dealer is just one of thousands.
Really? most of the Ford dealerships near me (25 miles and closer) only have a few 2023 Mustangs and no used Mustangs. They are waiting for the S650s.
Sponsored