• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Front suspension "clunks" when driving over bump/dips after mild Steeda lowering springs.

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
Yep, completed this as per the recommendations in the instructions.

"8. Using a coil spring compressor, compress the front spring until there is no tension on the upper strut mount. Once the spring is safely secured, remove the nut holding down the upper strut mount. Then, separate the strut from the spring and the upper strut mount. Carefully release the stock spring, and compress the new Steeda front spring. At this time you should determine if you’re going to trim your bump stops. Steeda recommends trimming 1/2” from the front and rear bump stops (1/4” - 1/2” with “Active” dampers), picture 8 (Steeda recommends our Adjustable Bumpstop Kit 555-4445). When putting the assembly back together, the larger diameter (ID/opening) of the spring should be upward and each pigtail should be against the spring stop. See pictures 6-7 for more information. It is very important to use Red loctite on the swaybar endlink studs and nuts mounting to the swaybar end. This will prevent them from coming loose."

Make sure that you only trimmed the bump stops no more than a half inch.

If the bump stops are trimmed more than a half inch or are compromised , it will cause noise on sharp bumps.

Steeda Tech
[/QUOTE
Sponsored

OP
OP

dirtgnome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I do have some slight spots like that on them. I did email them about the sleeve isolators but the initial response insisted on the sway bar end links. I haven't responded more on that yet as I am upgrading the sway bars anyway so I will respond then if the clunk doesn't disappeared after the sway bar swap. Keep this updated on what your find out. Thanks.
Finally got an update from Steeda, they're sending me some sleeve isolators. Apparently, they were supposed be packaged with the springs. Not sure how true that but whatever lol

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Finally got an update from Steeda, they're sending me some sleeve isolators. Apparently, they were supposed be packaged with the springs. Not sure how true that but whatever lol
Thanks for the update. I am finishing out my suspension this weekend and I will check all torqued connections one last time. I did the sway bars already and torqued them properly and the end links are being replaced the weekend. If the clunk still persists, may have to go this route. Let me know the results of the isolators.
Steeda, @tj@steeda , if you're watching, ill take some sleeve isolators too as none came with my springs either...., just in case :cool:
Just to note, @dirtgnome , the marks on your springs are similar to mine.

S650 Mustang Front suspension "clunks" when driving over bump/dips after mild Steeda lowering springs. IMG_6192

S650 Mustang Front suspension "clunks" when driving over bump/dips after mild Steeda lowering springs. IMG_6190

Last edited:

Matts2024GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Vapor Blue
This happens to me as well on a completely stock suspension. If I slow way down though, it does not do it.

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
This happens to me as well on a completely stock suspension. If I slow way down though, it does not do it.
If I were you, i'd definitely have Ford check the torques on the suspension components or do it yourself if you do your own wrenching.

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Update on mine….so I replaced the end links today with the Steeda adjustable Endlinks, torqued them to factory specs just like the stock end links. Clunk is gone. For me, it was the stock end links themselves, not the torque as I torqued them multiple times, that were making noise on sharp bumps.

S650 Mustang Front suspension "clunks" when driving over bump/dips after mild Steeda lowering springs. IMG_6230

S650 Mustang Front suspension "clunks" when driving over bump/dips after mild Steeda lowering springs. IMG_6229

Last edited:

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the update, looks like i might need to buy new end links
I’d definitely put on the sleeve isolators first to make sure that they aren’t your issue. At least before spending the extra money. Ours may not be the same cause.

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Those marks are probably from the spring compressors when installing them to the struts.
Most clunks are from the top hats, or the endlinks.

Glad you found your issue. I had to troubleshoot my coilover noises for months.

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Oh and for anyone who reads this thread and gets the Steeda end links, don’t over grease them (you shouldn’t have to grease them brand new) or you will likely force grease through/ out of the covers possibly causing the springs/bands that secure the covers to roll off and expose the joint to dirt and debris.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Steeda Mustang
Keep us updated as to your next steps - we are here to help.

Best Regards,

TJ
Sponsored