• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Front suspension "clunks" when driving over bump/dips after mild Steeda lowering springs.

dirtgnome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I had a mechanic install Steeda Minimum Drop lowering springs (0.75 in front, 0.375 in rear) along with their new bump stops on my otherwise stock '24 PP GT, but every time I drive over a speed bump/dip or any potholes I can't avoid, I hear a light "clunk" from the front wheels. I took the car back and the mechanic made sure everything was torqued correctly. He isn't sure what the issue is either lol. I don't think a 0.75 inch drop is enough to cause the front suspension to bottom out but, does anyone have any idea on what the problem might be or what I should check on the suspension?
Just some additional info to add, the rears feel completely fine. I drove them harshly over bumps and dips and I don't hear/feel any issues with them. The front clunk noise will happen even on the slightest bump/dip/pothole.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Edson8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
I had a mechanic install Steeda Minimum Drop lowering springs (0.75 in front, 0.375 in rear) along with their new bump stops on my otherwise stock '24 PP GT, but every time I drive over a speed bump/dip or any potholes I can't avoid, I hear a light "clunk" from the front wheels. I took the car back and the mechanic made sure everything was torqued correctly. He isn't sure what the issue is either lol. I don't think a 0.75 inch drop is enough to cause the front suspension to bottom out but, does anyone have any idea on what the problem might be or what I should check on the suspension?
Just some additional info to add, the rears feel completely fine. I drove them harshly over bumps and dips and I don't hear/feel any issues with them. The front clunk noise will happen even on the slightest bump/dip/pothole.
Did they clock the bushings? Not sure if that would help.

How does the car look with the drop? Have any pictures of it? Since I’m considering swapping my progressives to the minimum drop Steeda springs.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
The mechanic should be able to duplicate this issue on the lift. This type of noises are routinely diagnosed that way.

OP
OP

dirtgnome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Did they clock the bushings? Not sure if that would help.

How does the car look with the drop? Have any pictures of it? Since I’m considering swapping my progressives to the minimum drop Steeda springs.
I'll check the bushings on the weekend. I assume you haven't had any issues on your end with your progressives?

S650 Mustang Front suspension "clunks" when driving over bump/dips after mild Steeda lowering springs. 20240319_172151

Edson8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
I'll check the bushings on the weekend. I assume you haven't had any issues on your end with your progressives?

20240319_172151.jpg
looks good! How’s it feel driving around? Is it stiffer or handle any better than stock? I have had some rubbing on the driver side but not sure if it was just a one off thing since I haven’t seen it get worse. But I feel like the drop in the front is way too much compared to previous gen. Handles great but I feel like I need to be even more cautious driving, and roads aren’t too crappy in my area in Dallas or where I typically drive around in the city/suburbs.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Sometimes using the upper factory mounts can be the issue. I would go new mounts or after market. I never had to clock busings unless replacing lower control arms.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Steeda Mustang
Send your information to [email protected] & I will run this by our lead tech - can you please provide your order number, alignment & what other upgrades you have added since the install? I will have him advise on potential items to look at.

Thank you,

TJ

OP
OP

dirtgnome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
looks good! How’s it feel driving around? Is it stiffer or handle any better than stock? I have had some rubbing on the driver side but not sure if it was just a one off thing since I haven’t seen it get worse. But I feel like the drop in the front is way too much compared to previous gen. Handles great but I feel like I need to be even more cautious driving, and roads aren’t too crappy in my area in Dallas or where I typically drive around in the city/suburbs.
Honestly, I couldn't even tell a difference, but all I wanted was a mild drop without messing with any of the stock characteristics which is exactly what I got other than the "clunking" issues.

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
check the top strut nuts, ive heard of cases where they don't tighten that top nut down fully and it causes clunks. I did my own progressives from steeda, and i used a caliper to measure the distance from the top of the nut to the edge of the stud and then after installing the springs, made sure they were the same measurement.

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
I have the Steeda Minimum Drop springs as well. When I first installed them on the stock shocks/struts, I had the same issue except it wasn’t a slight clunk. It was pretty prevalent but only happened on sharp bumps that kind of jolted the front suspension. If I lived somewhere with smooth roads with no jarring bumps, I would have never heard it. No noise at all from the rear. Everything was torqued to spec properly and the car drove/handled fine. The car is not bottoming out and I’m using the stock bump stops with about half an inch cut off of each.
So, I disassembled everything again and I added the Pro Action dampeners, I also replaced the strut mounts. Which I was planning on doing anyway. I went through and torque and clocked everything to spec again. After that, I do still get the clunk except it is very faint and still only on sharp bumps. I emailed Steeda to see if they sell or provide spring isolator sleeves like they used to have on previous generations but haven’t heard back yet. The clunk almost sounds like one of the coils of the spring is slightly tapping another coil when going over a jarring sharp bump while the car is loaded. It happens on both sides as well. This may not be it but worth a try if Steeda still has the slide on versions of the sleeves that don’t require disassembly of the front suspension….again, lol. Also note, I haven’t done my alignment yet as I wanted to get the Pro Actions in before doing that so that will happen this week or next.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dirtgnome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I have the Steeda Minimum Drop springs as well. When I first installed them on the stock shocks/struts, I had the same issue except it wasn’t a slight clunk. It was pretty prevalent but only happened on sharp bumps that kind of jolted the front suspension. If I lived somewhere with smooth roads with no jarring bumps, I would have never heard it. No noise at all from the rear. Everything was torqued to spec properly and the car drove/handled fine. The car is not bottoming out and I’m using the stock bump stops with about an inch cut off of each.
So, I disassembled everything again and I added the Pro Action dampeners, I also replaced the strut mounts. Which I was planning on doing anyway. I went through and torque and clocked everything to spec again. After that, I do still get the clunk except it is very faint and still only on sharp bumps. I emailed Steeda to see if they sell or provide spring isolator sleeves like they used to have on previous generations but haven’t heard back yet. The clunk almost sounds like one of the coils of the spring is slightly tapping another coil when going over a jarring sharp bump while the car is loaded. It happens on both sides as well. This may not be it but worth a try if Steeda still has the slide on versions of the sleeves that don’t require disassembly of the front suspension….again, lol. Also note, I haven’t done my alignment yet as I wanted to get the Pro Actions in before doing that so that will happen this week or next.
hey, just a FYI did you check your springs for any signs of contact (scuffs/scratches/paint removal). I sent these pics to Steeda support and they think this may be the issue. They're currently checking with the engineers and they'll get back to me.

S650 Mustang Front suspension "clunks" when driving over bump/dips after mild Steeda lowering springs. driver 1

S650 Mustang Front suspension "clunks" when driving over bump/dips after mild Steeda lowering springs. passenger 2

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
hey, just a FYI did you check your springs for any signs of contact (scuffs/scratches/paint removal). I sent these pics to Steeda support and they think this may be the issue. They're currently checking with the engineers and they'll get back to me.

driver 1.jpg

passenger 2.jpg
I do have some slight spots like that on them. I did email them about the sleeve isolators but the initial response insisted on the sway bar end links. I haven't responded more on that yet as I am upgrading the sway bars anyway so I will respond then if the clunk doesn't disappeared after the sway bar swap. Keep this updated on what your find out. Thanks.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Make sure that you only trimmed the bump stops no more than a half inch.

If the bump stops are trimmed more than a half inch or are compromised , it will cause noise on sharp bumps.

Steeda Tech
Sponsored