• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Front inner fender well damage

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
Make template and fabricate from kydex sheet. Use normal plastic pushpins to secure. The poster that suggested duck tape would be good for a temp measure. I would also think there is an after market opportunity here that they might be missing. Its really hard to figure why they made the inner splash shield that way.
I'm using tape to make a back up then apply chopped fiberglass mat. i'll make them so they they are mechanically fastened. It's hard to see in the video but there is some very funky geometry there.
Sponsored

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
What is nice about kydex you can form it with heat. It comes in different thickness.

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any luck? I just ordered some as well.
I just recieved It, but i already made the closures out of fiberglass. I have both wheel wells out of the car, so i thought i would try molding some up over the closures i made and see how it works.

DannyJ7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium, Carbonized Gray
I just recieved It, but i already made the closures out of fiberglass. I have both wheel wells out of the car, so i thought i would try molding some up over the closures i made and see how it works.
Great! I did get the kydex and got the holes covered today. First time using kydex, and it works and looks great. I will say there was not much debris from the opening, but it did give me a chance to fluid film it all when I had the liners out.

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried Surface shield? I was wondering how strong of an odor that was? I use fluid film on our truck and it works great, however the initial smell is strong and the Mustang lives in the garage. Just curious because it gets great feedback and reviews.

Our Mustang is stored now, I have all the protection board off under the car so in the spring i will use some sort of additional protection, perhaps fluid film.

FFCobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Who do we write an email to at Ford? This is crazy. I used some duct tape today to close off the holes. Thatā€™s so sketchy.

FFCobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Great! I did get the kydex and got the holes covered today. First time using kydex, and it works and looks great. I will say there was not much debris from the opening, but it did give me a chance to fluid film it all when I had the liners out.
This is a very big problem and Iā€™m surprised Ford missed this. Do you plan to post a video on YouTube of the kydex install? Thanks!

DannyJ7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium, Carbonized Gray
This is a very big problem and Iā€™m surprised Ford missed this. Do you plan to post a video on YouTube of the kydex install? Thanks!
Not really my thing. I can post the link to what I used from Amazon. I'm not super confident what I did will work long term either.

FFCobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Not really my thing. I can post the link to what I used from Amazon. I'm not super confident what I did will work long term either.
If it will help others, please post the link. I just used duct tape. But Iā€™d like a better solution. Thank you!

FFCobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Has anyone finished covering the holes with kydex? Got pics? How are you securing the molded piece youā€™re making? Did you mold it in place?

I sure hope Ford comes up with a TSB on this. Or an aftermarket solution. I hated to add duct tape to a brand new car, but I have a gravel drive and the rocks would be a mess if I didnā€™t do something. What a dumb design.
Thanks!

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone finished covering the holes with kydex? Got pics? How are you securing the molded piece youā€™re making? Did you mold it in place?

I sure hope Ford comes up with a TSB on this. Or an aftermarket solution. I hated to add duct tape to a brand new car, but I have a gravel drive and the rocks would be a mess if I didnā€™t do something. What a dumb design.
Thanks!
I used pop rivets on the fiberglass closures i made and they are quite sycure. I was going to make a mold with Kydex over the upcoming holiday. since i already have the fiberglass in place, It should provide an excellent back . I was going to try the Kydex first but it took a long time to get so i got impatient and made the closures out of fiberglass. I removed the inner wells, I think that allows you to do a much better job. I explained both process in separate videos.
Sponsored