• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Front inner fender well damage

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
I posted regarding the hole directly behind the front wheels in the inner fender protection where stose and debris are getting trapped. I just made this video showing the damage that has begun in only 1000 miles and some of the potential long term issues that may occur. I removed the inner fender to start working on a fix for the problem, i just wanted those of you who are not aware of this issues to understand what and where It is.

Sponsored

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
Very interesting. I often wonder what engineers are thinking when they design certain aspects of vehicles. Keep us posted on a fix.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Those who I have spoken with that have the 2024 all said theirs had them too
Thanks for the insight. Hopefully a TSB is pushed soon:please: , retrofitting something offering protection. Preferably an entirely new well/cover design that can be readily popped in.

Last edited:

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
we as well have them.

almost beginning to wonder if a pryamid type of shaped screen, inserted pointy end first, would help keep rocks and debris out but permit airflow.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
we as well have them.

almost beginning to wonder if a pryamid type of shaped screen, inserted pointy end first, would help keep rocks and debris out but permit airflow.
How about Styrofoam blocks that you can cut and shape to wedge into the opening. We use shipping boxes similar ro what musicians use and we have the styrofoam that we cut to size for the test equipment we ship.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
How about Styrofoam blocks that you can cut and shape to wedge into the opening. We use shipping boxes similar ro what musicians use and we have the styrofoam that we cut to size for the test equipment we ship.
I was thinking along those lines in shape/design (the acoustic foam in equipment cases and what not) but not sure about the ability for it to absorb and hold.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Cut some old black jeans and stitch it over the square hole …problem solved 😉😉
Haha actually that might work! Denim is pretty strong and that is certainly a creative way for a DIY fix. Just make sure you don't select a pair of jeans from the 90s/00s where they came new with holes in them already! 🤣

My thoughts on the damage shown in the video leads me to think that there will probably be premature rust forming on the metal areas. As someone that daily drives the mustang in Colorado snow, this makes me worry about other's cars located in areas that see much more precipitation further north.

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
we as well have them.

Screens are not a bad idea, I’m going to make fiberglass closures

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha actually that might work! Denim is pretty strong and that is certainly a creative way for a DIY fix. Just make sure you don't select a pair of jeans from the 90s/00s where they came new with holes in them already! 🤣

My thoughts on the damage shown in the video leads me to think that there will probably be premature rust forming on the metal areas. As someone that daily drives the mustang in Colorado snow, this makes me worry about other's cars located in areas that see much more precipitation further north.
There is no doubt this will greatly accelerate rot in this location

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
There is no doubt this will greatly accelerate rot in this location
😟
Imagine what this is going to be like after water, winter slush, road salt, magnesium chloride sits on those rock chips inside the fender.

Introducing Ford's latest recall : planned obsolescence

Why would there ever be a cutout in the liner like that? Crazy.

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
😟
Imagine what this is going to be like after water, winter slush, road salt, magnesium chloride sits on those rock chips inside the fender.

Introducing Ford's latest recall : planned obsolescence

Why would there ever be a cutout in the liner like that? Crazy.
That is exactly what I have been saying -Thank you!!!

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Make template and fabricate from kydex sheet. Use normal plastic pushpins to secure. The poster that suggested duck tape would be good for a temp measure. I would also think there is an after market opportunity here that they might be missing. Its really hard to figure why they made the inner splash shield that way.
Sponsored