• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ford's CEO Wants the Next Mustang to Be a Poster Car

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I thought the mustang II was a very "cute" car. It was probably meant to appeal to female buyers.

Remember, women have a lot of say when it comes to car purchases. Half the cars purchases out there are by/for women, and for the remainder, women have at least some, if not significant input into the process. Getting women interested in, or at least open to, purchasing a particular vehicle significantly improves how many units are sold.

I once thought of trading in my 550 for a Chevy SS, (engine issues on the N63 engine), but my wife hated the seats. It would have been a straight trade at the time, so money was not a factor. The seats simply were uncomfortable on her shoulders. To me, that meant the vehicle was out of consideration, even though I drove it and used it solo 70 percent of the time. On the other hand, seats in my wife's car are not great for me (not horrible, but not great), but that's her car for her. I was not going to tell her no because of that....
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ford is definitely working on it being a poster car alright... after seeing the newly released interior images, I think I have already seen the new Mustang on the side of a Milk carton... ugh....

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I thought the mustang II was a very "cute" car. It was probably meant to appeal to female buyers.

Remember, women have a lot of say when it comes to car purchases. Half the cars purchases out there are by/for women, and for the remainder, women have at least some, if not significant input into the process. Getting women interested in, or at least open to, purchasing a particular vehicle significantly improves how many units are sold.
Just FYI the original Mustang was considered to be a secretary's car and was advertised that way. Ford always made sure that woman were part of Mustang's advertising campaigns.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Mustang II had the bones to be a great car. The fastback weighed 2700 lbs and a V8 fit in it. The front suspension has been duplicated and copied and used in tons of hot rods ad nauseum and I think the looks are decent. It's the only Mustang that ever had good enough front suspension for anyone to swap it into another car.

IMO the only thing wrong with the car is the factory engines were gutless. But that was true of every car at the time.

Now it is popular to talk them down, but IMO there's a lot to love.

ss27gogeta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I'm probably going to receive death threats over this. But honestly I prefer the look of the mustang ll over the Foxbody especially in cobra trim there is a nice black and gold my favorite color combo for that body style. a few houses down from me id love to have and put a nicely built up 302 in it.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Foxbody was ugly as sin. It looked like a tin can or a bar of soap hacked and lopped with a dull butter knife in 5 strokes. The 'II' at least had some charm and charisma, with some actual curves befitting a 70's car.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Just FYI the original Mustang was considered to be a secretary's car and was advertised that way. Ford always made sure that woman were part of Mustang's advertising campaigns.
the spy shots would sugest the average age of the S650 Mustang designers is exclusively male and between 17 and 33.

ss27gogeta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Like this?
1649901667102.png

Yes 🤤 I honestly dont get why people hated these cars so much sure there not the 60s mustangs and they were down on performance but that can be easily fixed. but there really not a bad looking car unlike the foxbody🤮 witch I get the fox is light for what it is witch is probably why it's so popular. but the mustang ll weighed similar to a fox with better looks I'd rather build a mustang ll over a fox just based on looks if I wanted a light v8 car.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
After seeing the front end and interior on the 24 Mustang- I don’t see this as a “poster car”. Unless it’s the poster to show how NOT to design a Mustang. I hope I’m wrong when the production vehicle is shown, but I’m not a fan at all as of now.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT 500 PP, Past'13 GT500,98 GT,'92 LX 5.0 5spd
The Mustang II had the bones to be a great car. The fastback weighed 2700 lbs and a V8 fit in it. The front suspension has been duplicated and copied and used in tons of hot rods ad nauseum and I think the looks are decent. It's the only Mustang that ever had good enough front suspension for anyone to swap it into another car.

IMO the only thing wrong with the car is the factory engines were gutless. But that was true of every car at the time.

Now it is popular to talk them down, but IMO there's a lot to love.
They were talked down back in the day too. Not a great period for the Mustang. IMO

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They were talked down back in the day too. Not a great period for the Mustang. IMO
Look at sales of 1973 Mustangs ~135,000. Then look at sales of 1974 Mustangs ~386,000. That redesign was a HUGE win for Ford. Your opinion does not match the majority of Mustang buyers from the time.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Look at sales of 1973 Mustangs ~135,000. Then look at sales of 1974 Mustangs ~386,000. That redesign was a HUGE win for Ford. Your opinion does not match the majority of Mustang buyers from the time.
Shhh, don’t let reality interfere with Matt’s negativity? :giggle:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
the spy shots would sugest the average age of the S650 Mustang designers is exclusively male and between 17 and 33.
Well I’ll be with both the exterior (male) and interior (female) designers of the SN95 later this morning. I’ll see if they have any input on Ford’s design teams and, maybe, the S650.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT 500 PP, Past'13 GT500,98 GT,'92 LX 5.0 5spd
The sales jump only indicates how badly the 71-72 were selling.. And how badly Americans needed a car with better gas mileage. Something called the Arab Oil Embargo. At the time all the cars were V8s. In summer of 1975 gas was rationed. 10 gals limit. For cars getting 8-10 mpg.

The Mustang II consisted of a 2.3L 4-cylinder engine (88hp) and a 2.8L V-6 engine (105 hp). The V-8 engine was a thing of the past. (yes, the II had an available V8, all 139hp of it and a Cobra 🤣) As such, the 1974 Mustang II was significantly underpowered when compared to previous model years

From a performance standpoint it had none. It sold. But not to ANY performance buyer. The secretary's were buying them up. I was driving during those times. It was a real POS .

As all American cars in that era were pretty shitty. The Mustang II and Gremlin held the trophy as some of the worst of the bunch.

Revising history doesn't change the facts.

This is what I was driving in 1976. The Mustang II wilted in it's company. Even the z-28 was a turd by previous and later standards. And it had pretty poor construction. But it was light yrs ahead of Ford at the time. Not a good period for the American auto.

S650 Mustang Ford's CEO Wants the Next Mustang to Be a Poster Car 1650127072271
Sponsored

Last edited: