• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
I see your point but Carroll himself arguably helped established what the performance Mustang is, then you got Le Mans (winning it and helping Ford eventually win), giving input on production cars etc. He essentially created the whole third party Mustang thing too.

RTR to me is more of a lifestyle brand. All the packages are similar to other third party companies besides the more Japanese style/drift widebody. Saleen, Roush and Steeda all had a similar formula first while even having input on Ford production in some form.

I like RTR a lot though because Vaughn feels more like us and he blends the Motorsport world in ways. I agree he still has more time to push the envelope further.
i agree mostly but the one thing RTR has that Saleen, Roush and Steeda dont is what set Shelby apart as well, a relatively young iconic personality that many people can rally around. Shelby wasnt really any different of a Ford nameplate than RTR is at this point in their respective careers, they both got base GTs from the factory, modified them with their own special flare, then resold them as "GT350, GT500" and "RTR Spec 3, RTR Spec 5".

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
i agree mostly but the one thing RTR has that Saleen, Roush and Steeda dont is what set Shelby apart as well, a relatively young iconic personality that many people can rally around. Shelby wasnt really any different of a Ford nameplate than RTR is at this point in their respective careers, they both got base GTs from the factory, modified them with their own special flare, then resold them as "GT350, GT500" and "RTR Spec 3, RTR Spec 5".
Like I said I like RTR for the most part. Seeing Vaughn drift/drive with normal people at events, being relatable, getting big names in different worlds to drive cars with his badge on it etc, really work in his favor. I just think he walks in his own lane.

Only big complaint I have is he makes everything parts wise too available (easy to make clones) without having something really different performance wise. Maybe lock the adjustable suspension for only RTR cars, but make just the springs available for normal GT buyers. When they unlock the ecu maybe give the Spec 2 a little power bump.

Seeing a Ford RTR Mustang would be crazy with a reliable itb setup inspired by the RTR-X but that’s me dreaming. 😂

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Only big complaint I have is he makes everything parts wise too available (easy to make clones) without having something really different performance wise. Maybe lock the adjustable suspension for only RTR cars, but make just the springs available for normal GT buyers. When they unlock the ecu maybe give the Spec 2 a little power bump.
Which would only serve to limit revenue for the company.

Follow the $$$.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only big complaint I have is he makes everything parts wise too available (easy to make clones) without having something really different performance wise.
honestly hard disagree there, they keep the RTR badging and plaques and all the "built by RTR" stuff behind their packages, but they clearly see what Ford and Shelby dont, people want the parts, but not everyone is going to foot the bill for the "built by" badge. How many 15-17 GTs have a GT350 style bumper? How many 18-23s have the GT500 style bumper? why do a lot of people, myself included, want the DH wing they showed off on the FP800s. hell, how many knockoff RTR grilles do you see despite the RTR grille being sold separate from a package, make it as exclusive as you want, people will get it, might as well make the money off it.

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
Which would only serve to limit revenue for the company.

Follow the $$$.
Yeah I understand that, it’s similar to what Saleen and others do just doesn’t make it stand out in my opinion.

honestly hard disagree there, they keep the RTR badging and plaques and all the "built by RTR" stuff behind their packages, but they clearly see what Ford and Shelby dont, people want the parts, but not everyone is going to foot the bill for the "built by" badge. How many 15-17 GTs have a GT350 style bumper? How many 18-23s have the GT500 style bumper? why do a lot of people, myself included, want the DH wing they showed off on the FP800s. hell, how many knockoff RTR grilles do you see despite the RTR grille being sold separate from a package, make it as exclusive as you want, people will get it, might as well make the money off it.
That’s true but it’s not like you can’t tell it’s a knockoff/bootleg car though. Lol. It’s a similar issue I see with Shelby American too since that Super Snake released, but apparently they’re keeping some things bespoke because of the money you pay for it. You could apply that logic to a RTR package in a way since it becomes Dark Horse money.

But I don’t want to keep hijacking this thread. Lol. I do like this convo though because I haven’t really seen it anywhere else without people straight up insulting eachother.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Neither RTR nor Saleen have put the level of transformation into the car that Shelby has.

and neither have put the level of class in either. Saleen has always been a favorite of mine, but they really went downhill lately. And Shelby has been a bit of a laughingstock in my in mind in the past. But in one fell swoop, Shelby had retaken the crown in these wars. They could have ended the discussion with a DCT, but seven as-is, the SS is a winner.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
Reading these posts makes me wonder, a lot of good points are being made. What if the Mustang under the cover is a tunable car? You can buy a drag tune, a handling tune, a HP tune, etc. Perhaps there is more to the twin throttle bodies then we know that allows them different types of engine maps. This would make sense as to why they went with an all digital cockpit to allow the car to be customized in many different ways and the gauge cluster to compliment it.

One good point made is that Ford isn't going to spend a ton on R&D for new Mustangs. Anybody got an extra $799 for a new tune!

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
Reading these posts makes me wonder, a lot of good points are being made. What if the Mustang under the cover is a tunable car? You can buy a drag tune, a handling tune, a HP tune, etc. Perhaps there is more to the twin throttle bodies then we know that allows them different types of engine maps. This would make sense as to why they went with an all digital cockpit to allow the car to be customized in many different ways and the gauge cluster to compliment it.

One good point made is that Ford isn't going to spend a ton on R&D for new Mustangs. Anybody got an extra $799 for a new tune!
That would be cool too.

Jim Farley posted the teaser on his ig again and it has a little different rear bumper you can see, although it’s still a rendered photo 😂

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
Neither RTR nor Saleen have put the level of transformation into the car that Shelby has.

and neither have put the level of class in either. Saleen has always been a favorite of mine, but they really went downhill lately. And Shelby has been a bit of a laughingstock in my in mind in the past. But in one fell swoop, Shelby had retaken the crown in these wars. They could have ended the discussion with a DCT, but seven as-is, the SS is a winner.
I like them all for their own reasons. My older brother absolutely loves Saleen since that was the guy in the late 80s and throughout the 90s.

Just to set the record straight to anyone thinking I’m hating, I love RTR. Original argument is I don’t think Vaughn is like Carroll Shelby. Lmao.

Last edited:

Martin1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT W/PP
Like I said I like RTR for the most part. Seeing Vaughn drift/drive with normal people at events, being relatable, getting big names in different worlds to drive cars with his badge on it etc, really work in his favor. I just think he walks in his own lane.

Seeing a Ford RTR Mustang would be crazy with a reliable itb setup inspired by the RTR-X but that’s me dreaming. 😂
Look how many GT350 clones are out there. There's a ton of them.

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
Look how many GT350 clones are out there. There's a ton of them.
That’s true but then again the GT350 still has a unique engine and transmission. That’s why I didn’t say make the grill or wheels unavailable or something like that, I was talking more about certain performance upgrades.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
I think the difference is Shelby’s involvement in both the Cobra Daytona coupe … GT40 … and Cobras

Everyone else modifies Mustangs… Shelbys team built legends

Yes Saleen has the S7 but Saleens doesn’t have the same level of racing influence not to mention Saleens quality has gone to crap.

I mean Saleen is doing crowd sourcing now because banks won’t give him anymore money not to mention Saleen has screwed dozens of suppliers through his multiple chapter 13 bankruptcy

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the difference is Shelby’s involvement in both the Cobra Daytona coupe … GT40 … and Cobras

Everyone else modifies Mustangs… Shelbys team built legends

Yes Saleen has the S7 but Saleens doesn’t have the same level of racing influence not to mention Saleens quality has gone to crap.

I mean Saleen is doing crowd sourcing now because banks won’t give him anymore money not to mention Saleen has screwed dozens of suppliers through his multiple chapter 13 bankruptcy
true, no denying that he had his hands in many great cars of the era, but the focus these days is all on maximizing established nameplates instead of creating stuff from scratch. Thats a key point where i think Shelby is failing and RTR is shining, the cheapest Shelby package starts at 29k for the S550, and that only includes Shelby branded parts of what best matches up with the RTR Spec 2 which starts at 12,500 for the S650, and thats the most expensive option (until the Spec 3). you can get the RTR spec 1 for less than 8k.

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
true, no denying that he had his hands in many great cars of the era, but the focus these days is all on maximizing established nameplates instead of creating stuff from scratch. Thats a key point where i think Shelby is failing and RTR is shining, the cheapest Shelby package starts at 29k for the S550, and that only includes Shelby branded parts of what best matches up with the RTR Spec 2 which starts at 12,500 for the S650, and thats the most expensive option (until the Spec 3). you can get the RTR spec 1 for less than 8k.
That’s the crazy part to me when I was doing some comparisons. Shelby’s base GT is at the same price level as the ford performance cars. Look at any comment section and those who aren’t in the know think the Shelby American cars are “fake” now compared to their FP counterparts which is a weird thing.
Sponsored