• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
https://www.thedrive.com/news/a-new...-is-coming-next-year-can-you-guess-what-it-is

This article makes me question my own arguments. While I'm still not entirely sure that this is going to be a hybrid, this statement does pique my interest:

"It is going to be another addition to the Mustang stable," said Matt Simpson, Ford's general manager for enthusiast vehicles. "We are not stopping with Mustang, we are continuing to grow the family. Mustang has always been about being the most fun-to-drive car, and this is going to be an amazing addition to the family. We cannot wait to show you more about this car."
The fact that, as mentioned in here earlier, they explicitly worded that this will be an addition to the Mustang family, and went on to say they're "not stopping with Mustang" makes me a little more willing to believe this might be something much more significant than a GT500.

That said, something just dawned on me: could it be that they're splitting the Shelby and Mustang names in the interest of keeping the MPG numbers down to appease regulations?
Sponsored

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Maybe they wouldn't want to, and the voodoo has an iffy reputation, but the Corvette just came out with one. And it makes a huge amount of power, 670hp out of 5.5L. Maybe Ford doesn't want to let them have all the spotlight. They could flat-plane a 5.0, switch to the traditional flat-plane piston layout of UP-DOWN-DOWN-UP to encourage higher revs instead of the UDUD layout on Voodoo (which admittedly gave it it's great sound).
It took them a few years but by the end of the production run they did get the VooDoo right …

Outside of a bad batch of valve springs that effect a small group.. the 19/20 generation 2 voodoo with the predator block is known to be a very solid motor …

There are guys on the 350 forums with 50k 60k 70k miles on them with no issues and no burning oil …

That being said if you do pure track miles and pretty much live at 8000rpm consistently… they will break before a Coyote does … but that kind of RPM is hard on any motor …

When GM was first designing the z06 they were laughing at the voodoo because early cars would vibrate off the oil filter…. But then even using the more traditional design… they were vibrating off oil filters too

So GM went to a cartridge style filter just like the later 350s have … but they admitted the vibrations from the flat plane design was far more then what they anticipated…

I have 15k miles on my car … doesn’t burn a drop of oil and has been dead reliable… and while I don’t track it … I don’t baby it either

I know the internet likes to bash on them … but if you follow “the rules” they are reliable motors … just definitely more high strung and more temperamental if you don’t treat them right

Oh the only down side … modifying them to any extent definitely increases your chances of a hurt motor more then a coyote

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
The design & development timeline is much longer than you might imagine for some of those things. It also involves thousands of people up and down the supply chain. Ford does some but not all of the design work, some but not all of the prototyping and testing, and very little of the component manufacturing. They build engines,, stamp and weld metal, paint and screw cars together. Others make and do almost everything else. Most any car company operates this way. Sure, it's known that Recaro supplies Recaro seats but some company with a lesser known name makes all the other seats.

I only bring this up to illustrate how unlikely it is that a mid-engine or other dramatically different model is under that cover. That many people can't keep that big of a secret. It is 650 based, probably a slightly lighter and likely supercharged "Dark Horse R" or "GTxxx", and probably still year away. Think about how many years it was known the Corvette was going mid engine (roughly 3 full years before start of full production), or that the F150 Lightning was coming.
The GTD was a secret, the latest Ford gt was a secret even to most of the people working at Ford. All I know is there's something additional coming to Flat Rock, but all they said was it wasn't a mustang sedan. They said it would excite people, but that's about it.

You're right, car development takes a long time, at least 3 years, often more. Meaning whatever they developed they started working on around 2022 or earlier, like 2020, or 2021. Which, when you think about about it, wasn't that when we started seeing Ford benchmarking multiple c8 models? That could have been to compare them to upcoming front engine Shelby's, or it could have been for something else all together.

Then there was that Ford gt mid engine test mule around the same time that apparently sounded like it had a V8. Everyone at the time thought it was some sort of send off for the Ford gt. Heck, even that dealer meeting where they said they were shown a mid engine mustang that wasn't s650 based, we all assumed it was the GTD, but that doesn't make sense. I don't know, I'm sounded like some sort of unhinged conspiracy theorists here, but it's just because I want a reasonably priced mid engine mustang so much, and see at least some rays of hope that it could possibly exist.

Last edited:

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Just saw this tonight. Do Not Care for the fan blade wheels.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
If it's a V8 AWD car, take my $$$.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Some wild speculation out here :D

I would love it if only half would come to fruition.

However, looking at what Ford has done with the S650 so far we cannot expect anything that has major research and development costs. If the F150 doesn't have it and will not get it, like the predator engine, the Mustang will most definitely not get it.
No mid engine - way to expensive to develop.
AWD - maybe impossible or again too expensive on the old platform.
Hybrid - maybe the same.

The S650 release has tought us that Ford will only do the bare minimum to squeeze out the most money at this point. If we look at the botched development and the cancelled truly alle new "2020 Mustang" then I don't see Ford investing into the S650 all too much. Most likely "get the most out of it before we develop something new for the next generation - most likely electric", according to former rumors.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I would be fucking shocked if it was GT500 this early in the live span

it’ll be some Electric, hybrid or GT350 thing

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Probably a Boss since that nameplate has been on ice for a bit.
The only issue with bringing back the boss 302 is the damn dark horse has pretty much taken its place. Honestly I’m hoping they do something a bit different here so let’s say they did bring back the boss make it a street legal GT4 car

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
The only issue with bringing back the boss 302 is the damn dark horse has pretty much taken its place. Honestly I’m hoping they do something a bit different here so let’s say they did bring back the boss make it a street legal GT4 car
You cant be a boss and get beat.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
The only time I've seen Ford refer to the mustang as adding another horse to the stable, or expanding the mustang brand, was when they were referring to new mustang models entirely.
So then, the other option, let's assume that teaser image is fake, and not the actual car.
If it is indeed another new model to the Mustang family and the silhouette is a red herring, oh I have quite a few thoughts on this...
we cannot expect anything that has major research and development costs.
These were my thoughts as well.

- Something (parts, platform, technology) that's already on the shelf and in-use

- The silhouette displayed doesn't have to be that of the actual "addition"

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
These were my thoughts as well.

- Something (parts, platform, technology) that's already on the shelf and in-use

- The silhouette displayed doesn't have to be the actual "addition"
Just like a magician, pull the cover and find it’s a segue (segway).