• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

texas8709

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 FX4
It seems like a new GT500 to me. The front end underneath the curtain almost looks like S550 GT500. Seems like it slopes in at the top slightly, and then juts out more prominently at the bottom. Could be my eyes, but I feel like I can see a similar hexagon shape to the last GT500 too.
The rear fenders seem like they're flared, and it looks like it has a decent rear wing extending out back, though not as aggressive as the GTD. I'm just confused about a new GT500's space in the lineup.
I don't think it's hybrid, I feel like we'd have heard more rumors in the lead-up. Though I guess a hybrid GT500 could theoretically be possible.
I can't see it being "mid engine" either (in the traditional rear-mid engine definition). The shape doesn't seem to indicate that here. More importantly why would they develop a new GT3 racer and homologation GTD car, go through the hassle of converting it to a transaxle and front-mid engine layout, and drastically improve its aero, if they were going to have a (theoretically) superior rear-mid engine Mustang platform a year later to work with. I can't fathom that happening. I expected if a rear-mid Mustang would ever happen, the GTD would have been that. A really expensive, limited production mustang to somewhat fill the space of the finally-retired GT. A price well into 6 figures could help justify the cost of developing the special platform. And then I thought that maybe the next GT500 would get a transaxle, if anything revolutionary. The first S197 GT500's calling card was bringing back a supercharged v8 with relatively high HP. The 2013 version upped the ante more by having well over 600hp and the (controversial) claim of being capable of 200mph. The S550 GT500's calling card was obviously even larger hp numbers, but more so the focus on handling and first-time use of a DCT. So what would have been the headline grabber for the S650 version? 800+ hp maybe, but I thought a transaxle for the new GT500 to help weight distribution would be a good new feature to differentiate it from the S550 version.
But as we all know, that car is the GTD. 800+ hp and transaxle. So what space can the new GT500 occupy? The last one had 760hp, so one would think this thing has to receive at least a bump to 800hp to move the needle compared to S550. But that brings it into GTD hp territory. Do they put a transaxle in the new GT500 too? So now it's even more similar to the GTD. So what will differentiate it, no crazy aero, not as advanced suspension, less/none of the light-weighting? So the GT500 basically becomes a portlier, sloppier GTD? But with the prices of current Mustangs, a new GT500 IS going to cost 100k+. There is a great difference between 110,000 and 325,000, but I feel like either the GT500 is going to be too good/close to the GTD which would make that seem like a rip-off, or it's going to be held back too much from the GTD and make the GT500 seem over priced. I'm definitely interested to see how this goes. Way too long of a story, but basically if they would have just made the GT3/GTD rear-mid engine, none of the points of my fanatical ranting would have been an issue!
Sponsored

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback
No idea but when they said they were giving us a sneak peak I thought we were going to see a bit more than a photo of a green tarp over a car. Oh well.

A Cobra would be cool to see.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
This could something like a new gt 500 or that hybrid mustang we've been hearing about. But like I said in my previous post, I don't understand this teaser if it's just s650 based. When Ford was teasing the previous gt 500, they didn't tease it with a fictional design generated by AI, they showed the actual car. I believe if this was a gt 500, or the hybrid, they would have shown a close up of a fender, a grille, a wing, even a badge.

Instead they show an AI image under a tarp that's not indicative of an actual car. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this as someone who knows a little bit about marketing. If I was asked to create a teaser for a Shelby mustang or something, I would get some close up shots to tease the aggression, without giving away too much. What I wouldn't do is put in more effort to create a worse teaser when there's nothing to hide. Everyone knows there are more s650 variants coming, everyone knows a gt 500 style vehicle is gonna be one of them. So the misleading teaser makes zero sense.

But if this mustang vehicle is a new body style all together, this style of teaser makes more sense, because it's all about blowing people's minds and catching them by surprise. I could be wrong, but I'll say if this is a gt 500 or hybrid, and they're teasing it this way, then Ford needs to find a new marketing team, because it's idiotic.

Victortheguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Shelby GT500 Mischievous Purple
im pretty sure its the super snake that was revealed the following day

texas8709

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 FX4
Now that I got my long rant out of the way about what I think it is, it's time for a long rant about what I wish it would be.
A new BOSS. I know the criticism to this "the Dark Horse occupies the space of a Boss/GT350". Maybe. Ford probably views it that way, but to me the Dark Horse is a GT-PP2 with a much sexier name. No insult to the DH, I like it, but it's a carefully curated list of upgrades over a GT to improve track performance. Obviously it went a step further than the performance pack 2 by having an "upgraded" engine and better trans. But they didn't go so over the top that something N/A couldn't slot above it. What could slot above it?
First engine option is a return of the flat-plane crank v8. Maybe they wouldn't want to, and the voodoo has an iffy reputation, but the Corvette just came out with one. And it makes a huge amount of power, 670hp out of 5.5L. Maybe Ford doesn't want to let them have all the spotlight. They could flat-plane a 5.0, switch to the traditional flat-plane piston layout of UP-DOWN-DOWN-UP to encourage higher revs instead of the UDUD layout on Voodoo (which admittedly gave it it's great sound). They could improve intake/exhaust flow. Try and get it to 600ish hp. This new BOSS 302 would have a healthy gap above the DH. But obviously a Coyote-based FPC v8 has challenges, namely the long stroke. So this may not be worth it/possible. Unless they bored and de-stroked a Coyote to finagle it's way back to 302ci.
The other consideration is sitting in the GT3 mustang. It has a 5.4L Coyote-based v8. Obviously the GTD had to use use a s/c v8 to give it the huge power to justify it's price tag. But what if that 5.4 actually displaced around 5.42L? (or we can pretend it does). We could have the first ever BOSS 331! I remember seeing an article that Ford was planning one back in the 70s, and had a prototype, but it was shelved. I think this was a Boss302 successor, before the Boss351 happened.
I'm not sure what this engine is capable of, you'd have none of the regulation restrictions of GT3 racing, but would need it to meet emissions and durability for road-use. Could 550+ hp be squeezed out of it? I'd think maybe. That's a good enough gap over the DH. Could the GTD transaxle or something similar be grafted into this more pedestrian Mustang? Or some active aero, light-weighting, maybe some of the suspension tricks? They could offer it with the 7spd DCT from the last Gt500 (in addition to a manual!). I think enough could be done to raise this above the current lineup. A BOSS 331 is recognizable, but still a new nameplate and technically a new horse in the stable. It's got uniqueness/collectability to justify a price hike over the DH, and it could do everything a little better, while not stepping anywhere near the GTDs toes.
I give this 0% chance of happening, but I wish.

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium Conv., 2017 Edge Sport
I’m thinking it’s this black car that’s being spotted around recently. People were speculating it was the new Super Snake from Shelby America but clearly the “disguised” front end is massively different from the Super Snake.

S650 Mustang Ford Teases "New Addition to the Mustang Stable" Coming in 2025 IMG_2362

S650 Mustang Ford Teases "New Addition to the Mustang Stable" Coming in 2025 IMG_2361

Victortheguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Shelby GT500 Mischievous Purple
I’m thinking it’s this black car that’s being spotted around recently. People were speculating it was the new Super Snake from Shelby America but clearly the “disguised” front end is massively different from the Super Snake.

IMG_2362.jpeg

IMG_2361.png
They always throw random parts on these prototype / disguised cars, didnt the same car have down the middle exhaust?

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium Conv., 2017 Edge Sport

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The camo car looks like it has brake cooling ducts in the lower grille like on the Super Snake.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
Now that I got my long rant out of the way about what I think it is, it's time for a long rant about what I wish it would be.
A new BOSS. I know the criticism to this "the Dark Horse occupies the space of a Boss/GT350". Maybe. Ford probably views it that way, but to me the Dark Horse is a GT-PP2 with a much sexier name. No insult to the DH, I like it, but it's a carefully curated list of upgrades over a GT to improve track performance. Obviously it went a step further than the performance pack 2 by having an "upgraded" engine and better trans. But they didn't go so over the top that something N/A couldn't slot above it. What could slot above it?
First engine option is a return of the flat-plane crank v8. Maybe they wouldn't want to, and the voodoo has an iffy reputation, but the Corvette just came out with one. And it makes a huge amount of power, 670hp out of 5.5L. Maybe Ford doesn't want to let them have all the spotlight. They could flat-plane a 5.0, switch to the traditional flat-plane piston layout of UP-DOWN-DOWN-UP to encourage higher revs instead of the UDUD layout on Voodoo (which admittedly gave it it's great sound). They could improve intake/exhaust flow. Try and get it to 600ish hp. This new BOSS 302 would have a healthy gap above the DH. But obviously a Coyote-based FPC v8 has challenges, namely the long stroke. So this may not be worth it/possible. Unless they bored and de-stroked a Coyote to finagle it's way back to 302ci.
The other consideration is sitting in the GT3 mustang. It has a 5.4L Coyote-based v8. Obviously the GTD had to use use a s/c v8 to give it the huge power to justify it's price tag. But what if that 5.4 actually displaced around 5.42L? (or we can pretend it does). We could have the first ever BOSS 331! I remember seeing an article that Ford was planning one back in the 70s, and had a prototype, but it was shelved. I think this was a Boss302 successor, before the Boss351 happened.
I'm not sure what this engine is capable of, you'd have none of the regulation restrictions of GT3 racing, but would need it to meet emissions and durability for road-use. Could 550+ hp be squeezed out of it? I'd think maybe. That's a good enough gap over the DH. Could the GTD transaxle or something similar be grafted into this more pedestrian Mustang? Or some active aero, light-weighting, maybe some of the suspension tricks? They could offer it with the 7spd DCT from the last Gt500 (in addition to a manual!). I think enough could be done to raise this above the current lineup. A BOSS 331 is recognizable, but still a new nameplate and technically a new horse in the stable. It's got uniqueness/collectability to justify a price hike over the DH, and it could do everything a little better, while not stepping anywhere near the GTDs toes.
Nice post. Agreed.

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
I think it’s a Boss. When I look at the Mustang history, the GT350 we got is similar to what a modern Boss would be, whereas a Dark Horse if it lost its rear seat and had other weight savings, is closer to the original formula of the GT350. The Boss like I was saying before was the cool engine, track monster back in the day. That’s a car I can see a step above a DH. But for all we know Ford might shock us and call the new car Dark Horse R. 😂

IMG_2362.jpeg

IMG_2361.png
That car specifically could be a Shelby GT which is the “affordable” Shelby American car. Has a similar hood extractor to the last one as well.

Last edited:

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm gonna be bold here, very bold. I don't believe this is an s650 for a variety of reasons. One, the wording behind this reveal. The only time I've seen Ford refer to the mustang as adding another horse to the stable, or expanding the mustang brand, was when they were referring to new mustang models entirely. When the mach-e was revealed, Ford referred to it an an addition to the stable, and growing the brand. Whereas with the s650, they tend to just refer to varying trims as new derivatives. They referred to this new model as an addition to the stable, so unless they're messing around with wording, that's them hinting that this is its own unique model.

Additionally, that image is very clearly not an s650. The proportions are massively different. So there are two options, either that's an actual design and it's probably some sort of EV mustang coupe, not a terrible option if it's gonna be sold alongside the ICE V8 mustang. But that's unlikely considering Farley shut down the idea of an EV mustang just a few months ago, so it's highly unlikely this is an electric coupe.

So then, the other option, let's assume that teaser image is fake, and not the actual car. You have to ask yourself why. If it was just an s650, there would be no point to doing that, we all know what the s650 looks like, we all know the Shelby variants will still look like s650s. If it's just a new gt 500, then the design is almost certainly finalized, or the close to it. So if that's what it was, you would think Ford would just take a close up pic of the hood vents or something to tease it, rather than hinting at it with a placeholder fake design.Why tease a fake design instead of the real design if it's just another s650?

Lots of questions, but what if this is a mid engine mustang to compete with the c8? Seems bold, but think about it. That would be a new mustang model, an extension of the mustang brand like they said. All of a sudden, the placeholder fake design makes sense, Ford's way of teasing without giving away too much. If they tried to hint at a mid engine mustang profile for instance, everyone would immediately say "That's mid engine". Having this fake design teases something is coming, without tipping their hand as to what. Which would only make sense if they were really trying to surprise people and do something they weren't expecting.
The design & development timeline is much longer than you might imagine for some of those things. It also involves thousands of people up and down the supply chain. Ford does some but not all of the design work, some but not all of the prototyping and testing, and very little of the component manufacturing. They build engines,, stamp and weld metal, paint and screw cars together. Others make and do almost everything else. Most any car company operates this way. Sure, it's known that Recaro supplies Recaro seats but some company with a lesser known name makes all the other seats.

I only bring this up to illustrate how unlikely it is that a mid-engine or other dramatically different model is under that cover. That many people can't keep that big of a secret. It is 650 based, probably a slightly lighter and likely supercharged "Dark Horse R" or "GTxxx", and probably still year away. Think about how many years it was known the Corvette was going mid engine (roughly 3 full years before start of full production), or that the F150 Lightning was coming.

Last edited:

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
😝 What if it's the return of the Mustang II, but done right this time around?
Sponsored