• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ford SurfaceCARE questions

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
So one of the stipulations from my dealer for getting the GT order in was they mandate Ford SurfaceCARE on every car that people custom order through them, thankfully they gave me a handy brochure that in true Ford fashion, has told me absolutely nothing of use. Does anyone know what is involved with the plan and what products they use for the protection?

Also in case youre wondering its a $1500 7 year plan, the car is at MSRP with no other ADM.
Sponsored

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang Dark Horse - 17' Charger - 17' Ram 1500
So one of the stipulations from my dealer for getting the GT order in was they mandate Ford SurfaceCARE on every car that people custom order through them, thankfully they gave me a handy brochure that in true Ford fashion, has told me absolutely nothing of use. Does anyone know what is involved with the plan and what products they use for the protection?

Also in case youre wondering its a $1500 7 year plan, the car is at MSRP with no other ADM.
This is their way of adding an ADM without adding an ADM. if it’s not listed on the order form, it’s not mandatory.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Dealer can “mandate” anything they want but you’re the customer. Just tell them to stuff it or you’re going to walk.

On the plus side at least this is an actual Ford plan as opposed to some 3rd party BS.

OP
OP
agreywolfe

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
thats why im trying to find out WHAT it is, depending on what gets done with the plan i might be willing to take it to offset some other expenses im planning for the car.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
Basically it's the Motorcraft version of paint sealant and Scotchgard.

I have seen comments on other forums of prices as low as $500 (in fairness that was 2 years ago, inflation is a harsh mistress). Im sure it's worth someting, but $1500 seems steep. I had my 2020 frontend PPFed and the whole car ceramic coated for $2k

Last edited:

Bybotie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium, PP
Good to see dealers are still screwing people with the "underbody" protection.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Good to see dealers are still screwing people with the "underbody" protection.
This is not that. This is a protection package that is being sold by Ford using their products. Since they are backing the program dealers are actually going to have to do something (hopefully). The price though is far more than I think it should be.

kwalt21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Lightning
SurfaceCARE isn't a horrible ancillary product. In my opinion, you're paying for the guarantee more than the product that is being applied. From my experience, the exterior portion of the product is almost like a spray wax, interior wise there is a spray for carpets and fabric (like scotch guard) and then a serum for leather seats.

Essentially, if you cannot remove the problem (sap, rail dust, bird droppings or interior stains) with soap and water they will honor the claim and go as far as re-spraying the affected area. Interior wise they would replace the seat cover if they can't remove whatever caused the staining.

I would not call it "snake oil" but it's also not a ceramic product. It's designed to be applied quickly. Typically, dealerships don't even apply the product until the vehicle is sold. Even if there is an addendum on the window that is has been applied. That way, if the customer refuses they haven't wasted applying the product.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
SurfaceCARE isn't a horrible ancillary product. In my opinion, you're paying for the guarantee more than the product that is being applied. From my experience, the exterior portion of the product is almost like a spray wax, interior wise there is a spray for carpets and fabric (like scotch guard) and then a serum for leather seats.

Essentially, if you cannot remove the problem (sap, rail dust, bird droppings or interior stains) with soap and water they will honor the claim and go as far as re-spraying the affected area. Interior wise they would replace the seat cover if they can't remove whatever caused the staining.

I would not call it "snake oil" but it's also not a ceramic product. It's designed to be applied quickly. Typically, dealerships don't even apply the product until the vehicle is sold. Even if there is an addendum on the window that is has been applied. That way, if the customer refuses they haven't wasted applying the product.
With everything being said up to this point, I would argue that it is all a matter of personal preference and the emotional attachment that one has to the argument in regard car cleaning and appearance.

I bought my '15 EcoBoost convertible new and the dealer had pre-installed Perm-a-Plate sealant to it--I paid the for a seven year extended coverage and don't regret it. For one thing, it makes easier to keep clean and doesn't require waxing. Any brand quick detailer cleans it up in a flash.

When I bought my '20 GT convertible new, I had the dealer apply the interior and exterior Ford Surface and it works the same way as Perm-a-Plate. And by the way, the dealer from whom I purchased the car provided me a seven year interior and exterior warranty for $600, so I would shop around should you decide to go with it.

That being said, as always, whichever way you're emotionally attached to appearance upkeep, do a cost analysis in terms of manhours and dollars over the period of time you plan to keep the car and decide from there.
Sponsored