• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ford Mustang - Mid-Engine - Discussion

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
The Mid-Engine mustang is/was the Ford GT.

I do not see Ford coming out with a cheaper mid-engine vehicle - at present.

I see it this way. Every time we start hearing rumors of a change in drivetrain and layout, people here absolutely freak out.
AWD? OMG - it's going to add sooo much weight
Electric - NOOOOOO, GIB ME MY V8!!!!!!
V6 TT - See above
Hybrid drivetrain - see both Electric and AWD responses
4 doors - HERESY!!!!! That's not a Mustang!

Let's face it it, any change of drive-train will be met with heavy resistance by "purists" while others will fight for change and call the purists "stick in the muds"

I get it, I was there when Ford tried to make the Probe the next Mustang. I remember the Mustang II. I also get why the Mustang Mach E upsets some people.

That said, Ford needs to be able to make changes to the drive train and the layout of the vehicle. I would prefer it to be a CAR, not a SUV or Hatchback, but If they can take the mustang and allow it to be both a coupe and a 4 door, then I think they should do it. I don't care if they call it a Thunderbird, Galaxy, Fairlane, Maverick (probably not due to the truck), etc. I want them to be able to justify investment dollars into making this a solid vehicle that can run with the best the rest of the world can offer both in a straight line and around corners.
Sponsored

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
So when I opened this thread I was completely opposed to the idea based simply on the fact that I'm a purist and love the classic front engine with rear drive, but that rendering is beautiful!

OP
OP
Evo1986

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
Yes that rendering is really beautiful and tbh the C8 to most people looks like Ferrari on Wish. Sorry to be that harsh.... The Mustang on the other hand on the rendering looks still like a Mustang to me despite the different shape. Some may argue that it looks like an M8, but well....

Speaking of BMW: They have introduced an intelligent electeronic system in its axles last year for the xdrive. That system allows an anxle parallel all-wheel drive without a mechanical connection between the front and rear wheel. So to speak, the interaction of these 2 engines are powered by an innovative drive torque control system.

Could Ford done the same? Probably, but probably too expensive. What I want to stress out is, that there are always alternatives, but I think the RWD is a typical Mustang thing.

I think a Mild Hybrid V8 like in the new BMW X6M could have been also an option. Equipping the Stang with a 48 Volt battery don't make it (dramatically) heavier, but helps in traction and acceleration with some extra torque.

A pity, but maybe we see that in the FL or in Gen 8, if all electric would not be the case of course....

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I think it's certainly possible, and that such a vehicle would have a ton of appeal. I would rather see a mid-engine mustang as it's own stand alone model, an expansion of the mustang sub-brand just like the mach-e. So you could still have the front engine, 4-seater coupe if you wanted to, with the option of a more exotic mid-engine mustang.

There's just a certain x-factor that mid-engine cars have. You show me a 13 grand Toyota Yaris with a 3 cyl engine, and it does nothing for me. But put a 3 cyl and Yaris front suspension in a mid-engine car, make it look like that gorgeous yellow mr2 concept Toyota showed a while ago, and charge only 20-25k for it, and I'll run to the dealership. For those wondering, yeah, it looks like Toyota might actually do that. It would only have about 140 hp, but for the price, that's perfectly ok with me. Fingers crossed they bring it to the states.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
That would be the end of the next legendary vehicle.

The Corvette lost its iconic design thereby and became the poor man's mid engine super sports car.

Not to mention that mid engine makes no sense with e-drive.
Or does anyone really believe that there will be another new development like this with ICE?
A poor man can't afford a mid engine Corvette.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes that rendering is really beautiful and tbh the C8 to most people looks like Ferrari on Wish. Sorry to be that harsh.... The Mustang on the other hand on the rendering looks still like a Mustang to me despite the different shape. Some may argue that it looks like an M8, but well....
The C8 Stingray, at least in person, is a beautiful car. The Z06 and E-Ray even more so. "Most" people I have spoken with are mostly positive on the design. Also, the build quality and interior materials are leaps and bounds over the materials used in the S550 Mustang and I am sure it will be the case for the S650 as well. Hard to compare the C8 with the Mustang, but when the Dark Horse with options costs as much as a 1LT or even a 2LT Stingray...... well.

The rendering of the mid-engine Mustang reminds me of the Acura NSX a bit.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
A poor man can't afford a mid engine Corvette.
Apparently sayings with poor men doesn't exist over there?
But what I mean should be clear?
If you have enough money for a mid-engine sports car, you don't buy a mid-engine Corvette.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
If you have enough money for a mid-engine sports car, you don't buy a mid-engine Corvette.
Any why not? Many Mustang owners have more expensive cars including exotics. Car enthusiasts like variety and a Mustang fills that "muscle" car slot nicely. Same goes with a Corvette. I personally know a few folks that own some very, very expensive sports cars and also own Corvettes and Mustangs.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The C8 Stingray, at least in person, is a beautiful car. The Z06 and E-Ray even more so. "Most" people I have spoken with are mostly positive on the design. Also, the build quality and interior materials are leaps and bounds over the materials used in the S550 Mustang and I am sure it will be the case for the S650 as well. Hard to compare the C8 with the Mustang, but when the Dark Horse with options costs as much as a 1LT or even a 2LT Stingray...... well.

The rendering of the mid-engine Mustang reminds me of the Acura NSX a bit.
I think the "looks" issue is more with Corvette history than the actual C8 itself. How many times have we heard, "it doesn't look like a Corvette"? But walk up to one and, yes, it is stunning.

But, as you say comparing a Corvette to a Mustang is an effort in futility. Different animals that share 8 cylinders and rear wheel drive. There are customers for both cars and pricing has little to do with it. For me, for instance, even if the C8 were a few dollars less than a Dark Horse I still wouldn't be interested in one. Everyone has that choice.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apparently sayings with poor men doesn't exist over there?
But what I mean should be clear?
Oh, we do have that expression here, but don't often hear it about the Corvette (at least the newest iteration). A better comparison would be that the Camaro is a poor man's Corvette. Or a Mustang is a poor man's Ford GT.
Sponsored