• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Clearly there are some here who are more impressed with the bragging rights that come from buying a car that has a higher price tag whereas some of us have learned that big dollars do not always equal big performance or big fun.
clearly some of us don’t care to brag about how much money a car costs and prefer to brag about great experiences regardless of dollar amount. For some of us, a gt350, gt500, m4, C8 etc provide that experience. For others, a Honda Civic si, fiesta st, focus rs, or m2 are up the proverbial alley. Some just enjoy hating on those who have a higher bar for what satisfies.

now if the virtue signaling is over, we can get back to discussing the merits of the somewhat new mustang design compared to other redesigns coming down the pike.
Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
clearly some of us don’t care to brag about how much money a car costs and prefer to brag about great experiences regardless of dollar amount. For some of us, a gt350, gt500, m4, C8 etc provide that experience. For others, a Honda Civic si, fiesta st, focus rs, or m2 are up the proverbial alley. Some just enjoy hating on those who have a higher bar for what satisfies.

now if the virtue signaling is over, we can get back to discussing the merits of the somewhat new mustang design compared to other redesigns coming down the pike.
Well actually this a thread about M2 styling (comparing its perceived miscues to any perceived S650 miscues). The only hating that has been going on is 1) most of agreeing that BMW styling has gone wrong and 2) someone dissing the M2 as a "bottom of the barrel" car and implying that it is irrelevant to even consider.

The only point I and others have tried to make is that the M2 comes closer in spirit to the original M lineup than most of the newer M badged offerings ... no hating going on there at all just an appreciation that BMW is still offering a true "drivers car" at a somewhat reasonable price point.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
just an appreciation that BMW is still offering a true "drivers car" at a somewhat reasonable price point.
but did they HAVE to totally botch the styling at the same time?

Changing stuff for the sake of changing stuff is a world-wide curse of designers, stylists, and software eggheads the world over. Where is Thor with his mighty spear to shout 'ENOUGH!" and obliterate this evil in a giant flash of lightning?

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
but did they HAVE to totally botch the styling at the same time?

Changing stuff for the sake of changing stuff is a world-wide curse of designers, stylists, and software eggheads the world over. Where is Thor with his mighty spear to shout 'ENOUGH!" and obliterate this evil in a giant flash of lightning?
Agree!!!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
it’s actually abou
Well actually this a thread about M2 styling (comparing its perceived miscues to any perceived S650 miscues). The only hating that has been going on is 1) most of agreeing that BMW styling has gone wrong and 2) someone dissing the M2 as a "bottom of the barrel" car and implying that it is irrelevant to even consider.

The only point I and others have tried to make is that the M2 comes closer in spirit to the original M lineup than most of the newer M badged offerings ... no hating going on there at all just an appreciation that BMW is still offering a true "drivers car" at a somewhat reasonable price point.

it’s about alleviating the concern about the 7g s650 by comparing it to the alleged m2 update.

so exactly as I stated before.

It seems you agree, no?

and concerning the m2 capturing the spirit, I’ll agreeably disagree. There’s a difference between capturing the spirit/essence of something that came along at a certain time and expressing that in modern automotive vernacular.

the m2 just falls short of the essence of an M car in modern times. It’s fun, but not in a gt350/500, m4 kind of way. More like the bmw version of a Fiesta ST.

IF YOU LIKE THE M2, that’s great. No issues. But it’s the bottom rung of what can be considered an M - not counting the SUVs of course.

Last edited:

Kevin70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Scion xA, Mitsubishi 3000GT
I'm not disappointed in the S650 in the least. However, I will gladly jump on the BMW bashing bandwagon. They used to make some of the most beautiful cars on the road. Yes the M2 is atrocious. But the M5, M8, and to an extent the M4/M3 are gorgeous cars.
If you think the M4 with its gigantic buck teeth grill is gorgeous...

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
BMW design hit a peak about 10-15 years ago and it's been all downhill since then.

Love this meme about their kidney grill evolution 🤣 🤣 🤣

S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 {filename}
Seems like all manufacturers are going to larger grilles. Once we get dragged, kicking and screaming into the EV age there will be no need for them at all. We are so used to things looking a certain way. The Tesla front end still looks strange to me, like a small watercraft.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Seems like all manufacturers are going to larger grilles. Once we get dragged, kicking and screaming into the EV age there will be no need for them at all. We are so used to things looking a certain way. The Tesla front end still looks strange to me, like a small watercraft.
Oh yeah?

Audi, BMW, and Mercedes: "hold my beer."

S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 {filename}

S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 2022-audi-q4-e-tron-sportback-1632230898

On the flip side, they're not the only ones that couldn't think outside of the box when it comes to utilizing the creative freedoms of an EV architecture and front-end styling. See Ford:

S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 ford_mustang-mach-e_4dr-hatchback_gt_fq_oem_1_1600

Imo, that's lazy. Large grilles have been key to down-the-road-graphics (DRG), which is a fancy way of referring to styling elements of a car that make it immediately recognizable at a distance (be it grille, roofline, proportions, lighting, etc).

What we should be seeing is creative and functional use of design, either in terms of lighting, proportions, or bodywork. I think the most brilliant example is the new Charger Daytona SRT Concept's (just don't remind me about the fake Jetson's V8 synthesizer).

They literally nailed it; dramatic and recognizable proportions, creative use of lighting, and it's an INTEGRATED WING. If that makes production then I have nothing but respect for them.

S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 rger-daytona-all-electric-muslcecar-concept-scaled

S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 dodge-charger-ev-concept-front

S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 dodge-banshee-concept_0010

S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 Dodge-Charger-SRT-Daytona-Concept-EV-22

I'm admittedly excited to see what new trends and inspirations come about from EV designs. We should be seeing some fancy light, textures, and aero in the future.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Oh yeah?

Audi, BMW, and Mercedes: "hold my beer."

S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 Dodge-Charger-SRT-Daytona-Concept-EV-22

On the flip side, they're not the only ones that couldn't think outside of the box when it comes to utilizing the creative freedoms of an EV architecture and front-end styling. See Ford:

Imo, that's lazy. Large grilles have been key to down-the-road-graphics (DRG), which is a fancy way of referring to styling elements of a car that make it immediately recognizable at a distance (be it grille, roofline, proportions, lighting, etc).

What we should be seeing is creative and functional use of design, either in terms of lighting, proportions, or bodywork. I think the most brilliant example is the new Charger Daytona SRT Concept's (just don't remind me about the fake Jetson's V8 synthesizer).

They literally nailed it; dramatic and recognizable proportions, creative use of lighting, and it's an INTEGRATED WING. If that makes production then I have nothing but respect for them.

I'm admittedly excited to see what new trends and inspirations come about from EV designs. We should be seeing some fancy light, textures, and aero in the future.
bad design has no reason to exist. I. E. Grilles on EVs.

So crazy.

you have boys and girls making fantastic money designing these things. And it’s as if it were a first year industrial design project at a two year college.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
bad design has no reason to exist. I. E. Grilles on EVs.

So crazy.

you have boys and girls making fantastic money designing these things. And it’s as if it were a first year industrial design project at a two year college.
Many car designers are making 50-60k a year with 250k in student loan debt. Not sure what the salary for head designers is, probably somewhere in the 7 figure range is my guess considering Morray Callum bought a ford gt like it was nothing.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
They literally nailed it; dramatic and recognizable proportions, creative use of lighting, and it's an INTEGRATED WING.
I agree with you from front to about mid-door. Then it all falls apart.
Sponsored