• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
it’s about different financial strata. And not all college kids buy their own cars, though many do after discovering the “free money” (sarcasm) that is a new car loan. But many have rich parents that will purchase the “low rent” M for their kids with no sense. I should have figured a mustang forum would need a bit more explaining as the finances are usually different. As someone who crosses over Hyundai, ford, BMW, and Mercedes, I don’t always consider that. You can get a lot more Mustang than you can BMW for the price.

in BMW world, the M is everything. And for those who can buy a better vehicle, they won’t because it’s not an M model. So you have the 2 series, just M ified. It’s really a sad story. M3 is where the legit M series starts.

the design of that car, if it’s really the forthcoming m2, just screams fad impulse buy. Nothing about it is classy, well designed, a heritage play, or even modern. It’s just a collection of current design buzz themes that don’t match. The end result is a rear end that looks like a baby forklift and a front that looks like the old m2 is trying to be an Audi.
I can't say I agree with this and I've been on Bimmerpost since pre-2007 lol. The 1M and M2 have largely been the enthusiast picks (at least when the M2 comp came out and they ditched the plain Jane N55 that shouldn't have gone in the M2 in the first place). The M3/4 are ridiculously expensive now and also booming with tech and larger overall sizes. The M2 nowadays is supposed to be what the E46 M3 was like back in the golden era, at least in terms of footprint.

I'm sure that there are certain Ivy league and state colleges that have spoiled rich kids riding around in Ms and AMGs but nobody in the real world looks at an M2 and goes, "oh yeah, that dude really compromised and got the 'bottom of the barrel.'" The M2's been lauded and critically acclaimed in the enthusiast world.

The M3 used to be a dream car of mine, but starting with the F80 they just went off the deep end. Same with the C63, which is now basically a diet E-Class.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I can't say I agree with this and I've been on Bimmerpost since pre-2007 lol. The 1M and M2 have largely been the enthusiast picks (at least when the M2 comp came out and they ditched the plain Jane N55 that shouldn't have gone in the M2 in the first place). The M3/4 are ridiculously expensive now and also booming with tech and larger overall sizes. The M2 nowadays is supposed to be what the E46 M3 was like back in the golden era, at least in terms of footprint.

I'm sure that there are certain Ivy league and state colleges that have spoiled rich kids riding around in Ms and AMGs but nobody in the real world looks at an M2 and goes, "oh yeah, that dude really compromised and got the 'bottom of the barrel.'" The M2's been lauded and critically acclaimed in the enthusiast world.

The M3 used to be a dream car of mine, but starting with the F80 they just went off the deep end. Same with the C63, which is now basically a diet E-Class.
the“cheap” sporty cats usually have the most “enthusiastic” buyers, no?

a lot of folks on M6G talking up fiesta st and focus rs too.

same story, different day.

You had a lot of Honda civic ex buyers super enthusiastic about their car years ago as well. Pep boys made a bundle off of ‘em.

as far as the M2, you were right that nobody looks at the M2. When you see it on the road, it looks… ok. The m3 and m4 look special. The m2 just looks like a soft small car. Not horrible. But not great. That new photo is horrible. Hope it’s not true production intent.

Last edited:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
the“cheap” sporty cats usually have the most “enthusiastic” buyers, no?

a lot of folks on M6G talking up fiesta st and focus rs too.

same story, different day.

You had a lot of Honda civic ex buyers super enthusiastic about their car years ago as well. Pep boys made a bundle off of ‘em.

as far as the M2, you were right that nobody looks at the M2. When you see it on the road, it looks… ok. The m3 and m4 look special. The m2 just looks like a soft small car. Not horrible. But not great. That new photo is horrible. Hope it’s not true production intent.
I mean, not always. I’ve put over 1000 miles on a couple of family owned vehicles that I wouldn’t pick before an M2C. AMG GT63 S? Fast but boring. Would pick a hundred different slower, less expensive cars before it. It’s too big, too luxurious, and too hyper-insulated as a result. Handles well, goes like piss, but boring as hell. Couldn’t wait to hop back in my lowly Mustangs afterward.

Same goes to the latest Vantage. Fast? Yeah. Looks sexy? Yeah. Would I pick it over my Shelby that costs half the price? Hell nah. Still boring and insulated by comparison.

The M2’s appealing because of its relatively tiny wheelbase. Big cars just aren’t as fun to drive in most situations.

Edit: to add to that, the CTR and FiST are legitimately fun because they’re tiny, tossable, and driver friendly. Big performance numbers and crazy power figures don’t equate to better drives.

Hell, over a decade ago I was able to drive a V10 M5 and M6 on a track along with a Z4 M coupe. The biggest revelation after that was how much more I wanted to jump back in the Z4 over the other cars that I was initially fawning over

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I mean, not always. I’ve put over 1000 miles on a couple of family owned vehicles that I wouldn’t pick before an M2C. AMG GT63 S? Fast but boring. Would pick a hundred different slower, less expensive cars before it. It’s too big, too luxurious, and too hyper-insulated as a result. Handles well, goes like piss, but boring as hell. Couldn’t wait to hop back in my lowly Mustangs afterward.

Same goes to the latest Vantage. Fast? Yeah. Looks sexy? Yeah. Would I pick it over my Shelby that costs half the price? Hell nah. Still boring and insulated by comparison.

The M2’s appealing because of its relatively tiny wheelbase. Big cars just aren’t as fun to drive in most situations.

Edit: to add to that, the CTR and FiST are legitimately fun because they’re tiny, tossable, and driver friendly. Big performance numbers and crazy power figures don’t equate to better drives.

Hell, over a decade ago I was able to drive a V10 M5 and M6 on a track along with a Z4 M coupe. The biggest revelation after that was how much more I wanted to jump back in the Z4 over the other cars that I was initially fawning over
I get that some folks prefer less in order to feel the vibrations of the road, sense the flex of the chassis, maybe willing to work a little harder to feel more involved in what the car is doing. Many prefer that. I. E. Some prefer the “work” of pushing a gt350 vs being pulled along for the ride in a gt500, which is more capable, but more insulated.

but a rally car is all that. And it isn’t necessarily desirable.

I’ll grant you that some would simply buy it because it’s what they like. But the idea that someone would prefer an m2 over an m3 or 4 or 8 just doesn’t seem legit. I don’t know anyone who’d choose an m2 over those cars if money were no object.

driving an m4 is a dream. Power, handling, everything. It’s a drivers car.

the m2 may be a drivers car, but it is so in the same way a Honda Civic SI is. Not like a GT350, M4,etc. if that changes with the new m2, great. I hope it does.

Small cars are fun. No denying. Take a Miata for example. Or the old Honda S2000. Fun. But just not on the level of greater and more expensive cars.

back to the topic, the photo of the alleged M2 is atrocious in terms of design. But saying that those who are detracting from the Mustang design should simply be thankful it isn’t that supposed m2 design is not really respecting valid criticism.
As for myself, I like the new design. Does it go as far as I think it should? No. It really could/should have gone much further. But the fenders, belt line, rear, headlights, hood vent, interior are all wins in my eyes.

The only two complaints I have are that ford changed the entire rear quarter panel, yet purposely gave the reader quarter windo the exact same geometry as the s550. Huge missed opportunity to avoid looking like the old car. The other thing is the front end looks very much like a more aggressive 2015. Notvery different at all. This is concerning the GT. The dark horse is s different story. Much to critique there.

Spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Boxster GTS
it’s about different financial strata. And not all college kids buy their own cars, though many do after discovering the “free money” (sarcasm) that is a new car loan. But many have rich parents that will purchase the “low rent” M for their kids with no sense. I should have figured a mustang forum would need a bit more explaining as the finances are usually different. As someone who crosses over Hyundai, ford, BMW, and Mercedes, I don’t always consider that. You can get a lot more Mustang than you can BMW for the price.

in BMW world, the M is everything. And for those who can buy a better vehicle, they won’t because it’s not an M model. So you have the 2 series, just M ified. It’s really a sad story. M3 is where the legit M series starts.

the design of that car, if it’s really the forthcoming m2, just screams fad impulse buy. Nothing about it is classy, well designed, a heritage play, or even modern. It’s just a collection of current design buzz themes that don’t match. The end result is a rear end that looks like a baby forklift and a front that looks like the old m2 is trying to be an Audi.
1) are you always this condescending?
2) it may be your opinion that the 2 isn't a legit M car, but you're the only one. Anyone whose driven *any* (previous gen) 2-series knows they are excellent drivers' cars that carry the spirit of the beloved E46 series, and the M2, especially in Competition and CS spec, were truly outstanding.

Maybe if you can look past the end of your nose long enough, you might find the time to try one.... if you can get over the horror of not being in a bourgeoisie M vehicle.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
1) are you always this condescending?
2) it may be your opinion that the 2 isn't a legit M car, but you're the only one. Anyone whose driven *any* (previous gen) 2-series knows they are excellent drivers' cars that carry the spirit of the beloved E46 series, and the M2, especially in Competition and CS spec, were truly outstanding.

Maybe if you can look past the end of your nose long enough, you might find the time to try one.... if you can get over the horror of not being in a bourgeoisie M vehicle.
LOL. Please.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Clearly there are some here who are more impressed with the bragging rights that come from buying a car that has a higher price tag whereas some of us have learned that big dollars do not always equal big performance or big fun.