• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I agree with you from front to about mid-door. Then it all falls apart.
Yeah, the proportions don't make sense past the A-pillar. I'd like to see it in person but that won't happen unless a big auto show comes to FL anytime soon. Eh, it's not even a production model.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Many car designers are making 50-60k a year with 250k in student loan debt. Not sure what the salary for head designers is, probably somewhere in the 7 figure range is my guess considering Morray Callum bought a ford gt like it was nothing.
more in the 70k+ range. And that loan debt is only if they went to a very expensive school for the full ride instead of doing the bachelors at a cheaper college followed by specialized masters at a university of repute. Granted, you do have some that go that route. But 70k straight out of college is pretty sweet.

automotive industrial design and style is similar to graphic design in the sense that you have a design chief (graphic designer) and then you have “helpers” as industrial designers, stylists (production artists).

mine person gets the big bucks and everyone else gets significantly less.

even so, 70k is nothing to sneeze at. You can live pretty comfortable, even in California on that.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
it’s actually abou

it’s about alleviating the concern about the 7g s650 by comparing it to the alleged m2 update.

so exactly as I stated before.

It seems you agree, no?

and concerning the m2 capturing the spirit, I’ll agreeably disagree. There’s a difference between capturing the spirit/essence of something that came along at a certain time and expressing that in modern automotive vernacular.

the m2 just falls short of the essence of an M car in modern times. It’s fun, but not in a gt350/500, m4 kind of way. More like the bmw version of a Fiesta ST.

IF YOU LIKE THE M2, that’s great. No issues. But it’s the bottom rung of what can be considered an M - not counting the SUVs of course.
So we are just going in circles saying the same thing to each other so, yes, lets just agree to disagree.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
So we are just going in circles saying the same thing to each other so, yes, lets just agree to disagree.
don't worry, someone will start another thread on the same topic without doing a search or even scanning the list of the recent topics.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
The rest of the car looks great, but I can't get past the grill. IMHO, they just went too far there.
Ironically the grille is the least problematic part of the car for me. But to each their own.

sleepy floy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M4 Competition, '74 Ford Bronco,
Ironically the grille is the least problematic part of the car for me. But to each their own.
I find it to be brilliant, and the front grill doesn't bother me in the least (aren't Lexus grills like 3 times the size?). Biggest downside of the new M4 is the sound which is incredibly disappointing. i've got a mid-pipe on order that eliminates the sound resonators, but there is no substitution for a throaty V-8 or especially a flat plane crank 350.

That being said, I was planning to buy a Mach 1 but didn't want to buy the last year of production and figured I can downgrade to the new Mustang (relax, in price only!) if the new version checks all the boxes. Still TBD, but definitely keeping an eye on it!

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I find it to be brilliant, and the front grill doesn't bother me in the least (aren't Lexus grills like 3 times the size?).
I find the Lexus grills to be a bit absurd too. I know big grills have been a trend of late, but in my mind, they cheapen the look of the car by turning it into a caricature of its former self.

For some reason, car styling seems to occasionally get into these loops where certain design elements keep getting exaggerated more and more (think giant tailfins), until someone breaks the cycle with a completely new look that everyone than raves about.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I find it to be brilliant, and the front grill doesn't bother me in the least (aren't Lexus grills like 3 times the size?). Biggest downside of the new M4 is the sound which is incredibly disappointing. i've got a mid-pipe on order that eliminates the sound resonators, but there is no substitution for a throaty V-8 or especially a flat plane crank 350.

That being said, I was planning to buy a Mach 1 but didn't want to buy the last year of production and figured I can downgrade to the new Mustang (relax, in price only!) if the new version checks all the boxes. Still TBD, but definitely keeping an eye on it!
Heard that. Sound’s such a critical buying factor. Good luck with your pipes! You ever watch Joe Achilles?

And about the grille, I’m not thrown off by grille sizing if the design is executed correctly. On the M3/4? It’s fine. Not crazy about the headlights or rear QP treatment, but that’s just me. OTOH, the honker they slapped on the facelifted G12 7-series just looks out of place. Lexus has varied success with their spindle design imo. They have some killer executions that are massive, even compared to their other nominally sized designs. They really refined it with their latest iterations imo. Really liking the evolution on their new RX series, so interested to see where it goes.

sleepy floy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M4 Competition, '74 Ford Bronco,
To your point on sound...my (now) 17 yo son and I test drove a GT350 a few years back and we couldn't stop giggling like school girls the whole time. Not nearly as fast as the M4, but the sound was intoxicating and felt incredibly fast. Unfortunately, I'd be a nervous wreck around engine reliability.

I do watch the Joe Achilles videos along with all the usual suspects (DeMuro, Raiti, Throttle House, etc...). I was able to get the M car at msrp with incredibly low financing, so I moved forward almost as a hold in case I want to move onto something different. Jury's still out on the M, but it definitely needs the mid-pipe for sure.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
The M2 is ugly, but the M240i XDrive version is the one I'd go for anyway. Much better design than the M2 - which usually isn't the case. 380+ HP (underrated) that pulls 3.6 0-60 all day and with a VERY tunable engine will put out nearly 500HP without any engine modifications.

This is on my short list, along with the Dark Horse.

S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 m204i-1
S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 m240i-3
S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 m240i-2
S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 m240i-4

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
Yeah, the proportions don't make sense past the A-pillar. I'd like to see it in person but that won't happen unless a big auto show comes to FL anytime soon. Eh, it's not even a production model.
I am hoping the Kissimmee Mecum auction in January has it, because I will be there. I am also in agreement concerning the proportions, but seeing it in person will either justify or change my opinion.

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Official pics, but in red. +Natural light
S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 2023-bmw-m2-coupe-22

S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 2023-bmw-m2-coupe-18.jpeg?fit=around%7C770:481
S650 Mustang For those upset with the new design… at least it doesn't look like new BMW M2 2023-bmw-m2-coupe-21.jpeg?fit=around%7C770:481

Still fugly, but the front looks miles better. Rear... not so much.
Sponsored