• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First oil change

Dapsters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 gt premium performance package vapor blue
This is my first new car. Got it with 30 miles on it last week and I just hit 1k, I always thought you were supposed to do your first oil change at 1-1500 miles but my dealer is telling me to come back at 5-7.5k.. just seems like I'd be asking for trouble.

Is there any harm in running that long? I always thought new motors had special oil that causes more wear to break things in.

I checked the owners manual but the only thing it has about breaking in is my tires for 300 miles and searching here all I can find is "it doesn't hurt to change " but does it hurt to wait 5k?
Sponsored

scazea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT premium conv., 401a, Rapid Red
I still have not reach that point, only 320miles on the pony, but i thought that there are sensors for that, right? On my last mustang I always followed the guidance of the oil change sensors on my app, and change it before reached 30%. Is there a different rule for the first oil change?

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
The filter will remove any metal or particles from the break-in. The primary reason for changing oil is the breakdown of the additives to the oil. This isn't going to happen any faster with a new engine so you don't really need an early oil change. If you're going to store the car, the rules are different but if you're going to continue to drive it, it's early for an oil change.
There is an oil change reminder in the menu and you can look at it to see when the computer recommends you do your oil change. I haven't hit 700 miles in over two months but mine indicates I still have 90% of the oil life left. Stop and go driving which I do is hard on the oil and you need to change it a little more often.

OP
OP

Dapsters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 gt premium performance package vapor blue
I still have not reach that point, only 320miles on the pony, but i thought that there are sensors for that, right? On my last mustang I always followed the guidance of the oil change sensors on my app, and change it before reached 30%. Is there a different rule for the first oil change?
I always thought there was, but it's probably old school information. Most of my car knowledge is from my grandpa. My oil life says 87% after 1k

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)
Changed mine after 1K break in period and would recommend it. Got full synthetic and added some ceratec liqui moly.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
S650 Mustang First oil change IMG_0781

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I changed mine shortly after 1,000 mi / 1,600 km.

Leftovers from factory machining and assembly, along with break-in material, are present. I've had oil analysis performed on the first and now second oil changes. There's something of a flushing effect which occurs with those changes, to remove contaminants and bring the oil itself to something true to the specified weight and characteristics.

During the first oil change, I installed a magnetic plug. Attached are photos from the second oil change. They highlight what the engine has been shedding, plus materials which hadn't been filtered or flushed during that initial change. During any oil change, there will be oil remaining, in the galleys and oil cooler (if equipped).

Doing this is IMO a best practice. It's a step towards goodness. I do believe the factory oil fill is not off the shelf oil (see XL-17 discussions) and it is not a good idea to change sooner than what I referenced. Many (probably most) Owners do wait until 5K mi / 9K km, change the oil then and experience no issues.

If you have a pre-paid plan or agreement with the dealer on oil changes, that's cool. You could keep that and pay this one out of pocket. They could install a Motorcraft filter and an oil (blend or full synthetic) to ensure there is no question on the warranty.

If you'd like to get an oil analysis done, Blackstone will send you a kit for free. You pay for the analysis once the kit has been sent in.

Edit: regarding Ford's Oil Life Monitor, you can read up about that on-line. The car takes in several parameters (how often driven, how long each drive, temps, date since last change, etc.), does the math and gives you a percentage. At one extreme, tracking the car several times in short order will drive the OLM to 0% rather quickly. At the other, letting the car sit and not move, the OLM will expire (reach 0%) at the end of one year. The OLM automatically counts down, loses 1.9% a week minimum, no matter how the car is driven.

S650 Mustang First oil change 20231009_090627

S650 Mustang First oil change 20231009_090734

Last edited:

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
I did mine at 1300 right before I put in winter hibernation. I have this feeling the factory oil is a cheap bulk oil, but I don't know that for sure. I just feel better knowing what's in it now.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I did mine at 1300 right before I put in winter hibernation. I have this feeling the factory oil is a cheap bulk oil, but I don't know that for sure. I just feel better knowing what's in it now.
Bulk oil is cheap because they don't have to put it in small containers and market it a quart at a time. One of the guys in our yard with several trucks has a bulk oil tank that he uses for oil changes in his trucks. Oil has specification and they are the same no matter what the size of the tank is. I am sure Ford doesn't want to do engine replacements under warrant so the oil they use is up to their specifications.
One thing nobody is mentioning is the color of the oil at the first oil change and cutting the old oil filter open to examine the filter paper. If the oil is clear and the paper is doing its job, that is an indication the oil could have been run longer.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Changed mine after 1K break in period and would recommend it. Got full synthetic and added some ceratec liqui moly.
Send me a snapshot of the ceratec liqui moly container! I’m curious!

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Thanks! I’ll check it out on it!

Jeffrey

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Thanks! I’ll check it out on it!

Jeffrey
How does this compare to Amsoil at www.amsoil.com., this is what I had used on my 2003 Mustang Cobra convertible without any problems. Please checkout the article at https:mechanicspick.com/amsoil-vs-liqui-moly/ for your information, NOT arguing about it, just interesting info! Read on under “Synthetics” heading!

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)
How does this compare to Amsoil at www.amsoil.com., this is what I had used on my 2003 Mustang Cobra convertible without any problems. Please checkout the article at https:mechanicspick.com/amsoil-vs-liqui-moly/ for your information, NOT arguing about it, just interesting info! Read on under “Synthetics” heading!
Wasn’t aware but thanks for the info
Sponsored