• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Explain the 1,000 mi oil change to me

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
Go into your Ford Pass, click on Vehicle. Go to oil, and will recommend the time of your oil change. Ford says roughly 4k oil changes, so that is what I'm gonna follow. I have Free unlimited oil changes at my dealer for buying the car, so I'll let them deal with it. So I'll take it in on the date show in my app, or before if I hit 4k miles by Feb. 2025 as it shows. That is how I'm dealing with my oil changes, since I do not have to pay for them...and the car is under full warranty.
Sponsored

Last edited:

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
When i asked my dealership service center, they told me: Donā€™t come before 10,000km or 6 month.

I told them about the 1500 km break in oil change, they said thatā€™s old stuff and ford cars donā€™t need that anymore.

Since i have a loooong warranty and service contract. I donā€™t care :D iā€™ll follow what they say!

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
The service interval is a minimum, no limit to the maximum number of times it can be done.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
For those of you foolish enough to trust Dealers for service intervals, whatever you do don't read your owners manual under "severe service" that most all of these cars fall under. Yeah, and don't read the part about rear diff service intervals after "track day".

By putting faith and trust to the dealer, you will have zero issues for the length of your warranty and service contracts.

At that time your trusted dealer will be eager and awaiting your next purchase in the showroom with a cup of coffee to discuss your next purchase.

Been doing service for decades, seeing problems from dealer recommended stuff costs big money in all cars. I encourage you to become educated and involved in whatever you drive.

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
For those of you foolish enough to trust Dealers for service intervals, whatever you do don't read your owners manual under "severe service" that most all of these cars fall under. Yeah, and don't read the part about rear diff service intervals after "track day".

By putting faith and trust to the dealer, you will have zero issues for the length of your warranty and service contracts.

At that time your trusted dealer will be eager and awaiting your next purchase in the showroom with a cup of coffee to discuss your next purchase.

Been doing service for decades, seeing problems from dealer recommended stuff costs big money in all cars. I encourage you to become educated and involved in whatever you drive.
I normally just stay on topic, but I've learned one thing about some of you people in here. You are rude, and very disrespectful most of the time. Just shoot whatever non sense you want out of your mouth from behind that keyboard, it's amazing. Anyway, calling people foolish is super silly and boarder line childish via name calling, amazing. It's as though, some of you think YOUR opinion is the one everyone should follow. The OP asked a question, and instead of just answering it...some of you shoot non sense at other members in this forum. The MODs in here must not exist. I thought the Mopar community was bad, but lately I've seen nothing but people slinging around a bunch of crazy talk. Sadly. No respect, and must VERY young.

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Santa Cruz, V-Strom 650
Amen. Immaturity here sometimes. Younger folks perhaps.
I have bought 68 new cars and changed the oil myself at 1000 miles in everyone of them. It's makes sense to me and so I do it. It's your car, do what you want.
My $.02 worth

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP

Enlighten our foolishness, as we never owned sports cars or serviced them it seems.

If i donā€™t track my car at all and usage is limited to casual sporty driving, Why would it classify under Severe or Extreme.

And even in Severe the service interval is ??? Look below buddy.

S650 Mustang Explain the 1,000 mi oil change to me IMG_4855

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Here is my second oil change oil analysis. You can see there were still some break in materials in there but not a big deal. I put this oil in at 1300 miles after draining the factory fill.

S650 Mustang Explain the 1,000 mi oil change to me IMG_8359

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
The service interval is a minimum, no limit to the maximum number of times it can be done.
Yes there is: How deep is your wallet? :cwl:

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
I feel the 1,000 mi / 1,600 km point is something some (many?) of us have gravitated to over time. The origins of that milestone come from Ford's statements in the Owners Manual related to the car's overall break-in period.

Should you change at the reference point above? This topic and oil type is something you're going to get a wide variety of feedback on. Above all, read Ford's guidance in the manual; this is your baseline. If you'd like to do better still, as a personal preference, do so.

I changed mine at 1,000 mi / 1,600 km for a few broad reasons:

- From machining and assembly, there's "junk" in the engine and now oil filter

- From the wear of break-in itself, the internals of the engine have shed material

- The mileage is a waypoint in the car's life and wear; it's something of a freshening up

- IMO, the factory fill is not what you get off the shelf, but shelf and break-in additives, both of which are now spent. I have not documented proof of this. Just a belief. See Motorcraft XL-17

- From first light, it will take several oil changes (2 to 3) to stabilize what you ultimately run on. For example, from factory fill to Motorcraft Synthetic, the overall effect will take a few changes. When you change the oil, close to a quart (and other junk), is still in the galleys, maybe a cooler. It'll take a bit of time to work out. So, one change at 1,000 / 1,600, then one or two more later, you see nothing but the oil you're consistently using, and it's working properties

But do you have to? No. Follow the Oil Life Monitor (OLM) and the Owner Manual. There is no requirement you change the oil at the point mentioned. If you'd like to as a step towards goodness, great. If not, follow Ford's plan. Millions of vehicles have done nothing more than follow the manual and they are still going strong.

Ford Dealers will use Motorcraft 5W-30, blend oil, unless the manual specifies something else. This oil is a mix of synthetic and dino. Dealers often give the option of using a Motorcraft synthetic, which is fine. Using either oil and keeping records will maintain the factory warranty.

If you'd like to use aftermarket oil and filter, you can do that to. Use items that meet or exceed Ford's guidance in the manual. Document with a receipt or photo. Update in Ford Pass App. Something. Anything that will confirm later (if needed) you have been changing the oil, when and what you used. Your warranty will be maintained.

Should you use a full synthetic? I like using synthetics over dino or blends for one reason: they are designed as an engine oil. Dino can and does work fine. But in extreme tolerances and conditions, synthetics can work better. Further, synthetics are detergent, good at keeping the insides of the engine clean over the long term.

Again, you'll get a lot of feedback on this. In summary, I changed mine at 1,000 mi / 1,600 km, am using full synthetic, 5W-30 and am now following the OLM and Owner Manual.

This broad topic also leans into the trans and diff; they've been breaking in to. Some change their fluids quite early. That's cool. But IMO, these devices do not see wash from fuel, condensation or encounter the same temperatures and stresses as the engine does. Further, many items these days, many manufacturers, use synthetics or long-life oil from the start. I'll be changing mine early (still don't know at what point), but not way early. As a reference, my truck says I never have to change the Manual Transmission (MT) oil, except under certain conditions. I change it every 30,000 mi / 48,000 km anyway. The Owner Manual is the baseline for when to change and what to use.

Finally, if you'd like to know how things are going, do an oil analysis at that first change (and others if you like). Most of us use Blackstone's service. You can get a sample kit for free and stow it for now. Analysis is like $30-35. Some of us get the test done. It's nice to know. And when/if the car is ever sold, it will give confidence to the buyer things are well.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
How do we add info in the ford pass app from when we do oil changes? Like to document what filter and oil we used? I looked all over and searched but no results

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do we add info in the ford pass app from when we do oil changes? Like to document what filter and oil we used? I looked all over and searched but no results
Service -> service history -> add record ?

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 GT Vert, 21 Bronco Badlands, 24 Dark Horse
I just did my dark Horse at ~1300. I have never done this on any other vehicle I have owned. My 02 GT has ~152000 on the ODO and has never had the engine apart and I never did a 1000-mile oil change. I change it once a year it never has more than 2k on it. The only reason I did the Dark Horse is that it sat at the Dealership for about 6 months before I bought it so who know how many short starts it had in that time. I will change it again in about 4k then every 5k after that.
Sponsored