• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Expansion tank question

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
Can someone post a pick of their tank please so I can compare to mine. I have what looks like cracks by the cap and both hoses. I can’t push the plastic in at all but they don’t look like they came from the molding process. I don’t have any leaking that I can tell either but this doesn’t look right.
Thanks so much.

S650 Mustang Expansion tank question IMG_6493

S650 Mustang Expansion tank question IMG_6492

S650 Mustang Expansion tank question IMG_6491

S650 Mustang Expansion tank question IMG_6490
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
FWIW, I took a look at mine; it looks exactly like yours. I consider them casting lines and flash. Pulling back to study the entire unit, I can see other lines as well. I haven't experienced any problems with loss of pressure or leaking fluid.

One thing I do related to the tank's cap...I remove it occasionally to lubricate it.

Using a Q-tip with a touch of silicone spray, I run the Q-tip along the races on the cap, where the cap meets the tank. It's done to prevent any sticking, which has happened to others. Someone bearing down on a stuck cap can cause the cap itself to fall apart.

Like a traditional cap, light pressure down when cold will help unlock it, while equally light pressure down when tightening, will "click" it in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vapor Blue GT

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
FWIW, I took a look at mine; it looks exactly like yours. I consider them casting lines and flash. Pulling back to study the entire unit, I can see other lines as well. I haven't experienced any problems with loss of pressure or leaking fluid.

One thing I do related to the tank's cap...I remove it occasionally to lubricate it.

Using a Q-tip with a touch of silicone spray, I run the Q-tip along the races on the cap, where the cap meets the tank. It's done to prevent any sticking, which has happened to others. Someone bearing down on a stuck cap can cause the cap itself to fall apart.

Like a traditional cap, light pressure down when cold will help unlock it, while equally light pressure down when tightening, will "click" it in place.
Much appreciate the response. That’s some of the weirdest casting lines I’ve ever seen. Good idea on the lube. I’ll do that here soon. Thank you.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
The mold has sliding details to allow the part to come out once molded. That's just where the fixed and retracting steel mates. Perfectly normal.
Sponsored