• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Does S650 have cylinder deactivation?

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Why does cylinder deactivation lead to decreased life? In my head it might do the opposite
the WORST thing you do to your engine is start it. The shock on the cams and drive-line from the de-act vastly exacerbates the wear and tear. It's been documented extensively by mechanics doing tear-downs and finding wear WAY TOO early compared to non-MDS.
Sponsored

omagic89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost - Owned 2024 GT - On Order
Arguably, yes. It has Auto Start-Stop to deactivate all cylinders at red lights…
I really hope you'll be able to turn this feature off permanently and not have to do it every time you start the car

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Mustang GT doesn’t have it… thank the chip shortage

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
I have cylinder deactivation on my Grand Cherokee 6.4L and I freaking hate it. You get minimal gas mileage benefits while dealing with the god awful engine drone and vibration. I typically shift manually into 8th when highway driving to avoid it but it would sure be nicer if they just had a switch to turn it off and keep it off. Glad to hear the new Mustang GT does not have it.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
One of the engineers said they had to get rid of cylinder deactivation because of the 7500 rpm redline. Now there is some bs with that because the f150s when tuned can rev past that but for durability testing I’m sure less is more and they got rid of it for mechanical gremlins long term. The cylinder deactivation adds alot of crap to the valve train

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
Skip shift is a system in manual transmissions where the vehicle makes you skip 2nd and go from 1st to 3rd under light / medium loads. I know some performance GM cars had it but wasn't sure if the Mustang ever had it.
I don’t think the transmission has such a thing as skip a shift. It’s completely up to the driver. I do sometimes if just laziness strikes me. 2to4 and 4to 6 are mine, but normally shift all.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Skip shift is a system in manual transmissions where the vehicle makes you skip 2nd and go from 1st to 3rd under light / medium loads. I know some performance GM cars had it but wasn't sure if the Mustang ever had it.
No, it's not. Skip shift is in auto transmissions. The auto trans automatically skips over gears.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Incorrect. I had skip shift in my 2010 Camaro SS. Also referred to as CAGS, or Computer-Aided Gear Selection. Forced you from 1st to 4th at certain speed/RPMs.
Best part was a 75 cent fix.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Incorrect. I had skip shift in my 2010 Camaro SS. Also referred to as CAGS, or Computer-Aided Gear Selection. Forced you from 1st to 4th at certain speed/RPMs.
Not incorrect. Autos skipped gears under low acceleration to improve MPG. Maybe manuals had something that forced you to skip a gear. Doesn't change the fact that many autos had skip shift as well.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
2011 skipshift you pull the electronics plug on the side of the transmission. Problem solved. It was a wrothless feature.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Not incorrect. Autos skipped gears under low acceleration to improve MPG. Maybe manuals had something that forced you to skip a gear. Doesn't change the fact that many autos had skip shift as well.
I never head anyone call what an auto does "skip shift" but yes many are programed to skip a gear, both up and downshifting. The Corvette manual from a decade ago had this:

One to Four Shift Light (Manual Transmission) - When this light comes on, you can only shift from FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4)
instead of FIRST (1) to SECOND (2). You must complete the shift into FOURTH (4) to turn off this feature. This helps you get the best possible fuel economy.

After shifting to FOURTH (4), you may downshift to a lower gear if you prefer. Notice: Do not try to force the shift lever into SECOND (2) or THIRD (3) when the 1 TO 4 SHIFT light comes on. Do not try tore -engage FIRST (1) after starting to shift intFoO URTH (4). You will damage your transmission. Shift only from FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4) when the light comes on.

This light will come on when:
* The engine coolant temperature is higher than 169*F (76*C),
* You are going 15 to 19 mph (24 to 31 km/h), and
* you are 21 percent throttle or less.

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
You don't want cylinder deactivation when cruising. Saves gas mileage but is detrimental to your engine. GM has it was a big problem in suv's and trucks. They actually made a defeat module you could plug into the obd port. I've seen it cause many problems. Proper oil viscosity and consumption being one of many. Not how an ice engine works properly.
Sponsored