• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse poorly received??

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 335i
The HP is only a significant improvement if you're going to use it. Otherwise, it doesn't offer any additional functionality.

Would you buy a parachute if you never planned on getting on or jumping out of an airplane? Nope.
Correct. If you plan on tracking the car, the HP is a must in my opinion. That’s why I compare it to the G87 M2 and C8 Z51.
Sponsored

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 335i
You are absolute right…If you dont track it I would not get the HP package for obvious reasons…Tire$$$ , tramlining , less traction in rain and temperatures below 60 degrees…Also the Recaros in Mustang spec feel like vise grips if you are not super skinny…Less is here definitely more !
I would take the additional consumable cost of a heavier DH with HP (ie. tires, brakes, etc.) over the catastrophic repair costs of a G chassis BMW when you blow an engine, turbo, or transmission out of warranty.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
I'm not sure when that article was originally written but it was supposedly updated recently. Isn't the statement about Recaro seats being standard in a Dark Horse just plain wrong?

Ford did a decent job with the 2024, but I think we're going to find in 2026 that the Dark Horse isn't the king of the S650 hill. There is more to come...much more.
Lol. Yes the spec about the seats appears wrong.

Who said the DH is the King of the Hill, whatever King of the Hill means? I have never heard anyone say that. The DH is slotted correctly as a Mach 1 replacement. It isn't King of anything.

I am excited about 2026 too!

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 GT Vert, 21 Bronco Badlands, 24 Dark Horse
@Polo08816 You don't have to get a premium to get the HP and Recaros. You can configure the Base DH with them and the MSRP if it is $67,915.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
Real problem with the DH is that Ford did not raise the bar over the Mach 1 but only raised the price…Chassis is the same as before and not as good as Alpha but numbers where generated by putting sticky DOT legal race tires on it with all the shortcoming in real life…Short life , tramlining and danger in rain/colder temperatures…Weight is higher and the engine still the same…The interior is really no upgrade either unless you like the touchscreens…😕70 grand plus roughly 10% tax & license is a lot of money for basically the same Mustang you could get since 2015 albeit with the mexican Tremec instead of the chinese Getrag which has not the best reputation…
So what if you don't want a Mach 1?

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 335i
@Polo08816 You don't have to get a premium to get the HP and Recaros. You can configure the Base DH with them and the MSRP if it is $67,915.
It appears that's the case, but I think this hasn't changed my opinion on the DH. I think it should be priced below a G87 M2.

Why? Pricing on DH very reasonable. Its a way better car than any M2
I think that part is debatable.

Unless you care about actual performance in which case the M2 is better
+1. Equal tires, I think the G87 M2 is going to be the better performer.

That being said, if you grenade the S58 out of warranty, you might as well just toss the G87 M2 in the car shredder.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
If performance is all that matters buy a used Plaid or model 3 performance…

the M2 is an awesome car but the Coyote has way more soul …

I would do a dark horse handling pack … blue ember or grabber blue before I did an M2

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
EVs like that would go into limp mode after one lap on a track. EVs report great 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. But they can do one of those before they get hot. EV performance cars especially first Gen ones aren't where they need to be yet.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Unless you care about actual performance in which case the M2 is better
If I wanted an effing ugly M2, I would have bought an effing ugly M2. But I didn't. Not sure why that is so hard for some to comprehend.

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
No one has a problem comprehending your decision lol. You bought a DH because that is what you wanted which is fine. I simply said the M2 has better performance. It isn't personal against your decision.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
No one has a problem comprehending your decision lol. You bought a DH because that is what you wanted which is fine. I simply said the M2 has better performance. It isn't personal against your decision.
Opinions are like ... well ... we know what they are like. LOL. JK. To each thier own!

Last edited:

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 335i
If performance is all that matters buy a used Plaid or model 3 performance…

the M2 is an awesome car but the Coyote has way more soul …

I would do a dark horse handling pack … blue ember or grabber blue before I did an M2
EVs like that would go into limp mode after one lap on a track. EVs report great 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. But they can do one of those before they get hot. EV performance cars especially first Gen ones aren't where they need to be yet.
+1. In the minds of some/most, "performance" is straight line performance - aka "lesser skill" driving.

Most race tracks won't even permit EVs anymore because they are unable to extinguish a battery fire in a reasonable period of time. Can you imagine someone's EV burning for 3+ hours and take up valuable track time?

I will say that I see far more G87 M2s on track in non-BMW events than I do 7th Gen Mustangs. I'm not sure if that will change over time, but we'll see. It's largely up to Ford to increase production/supply.

+1. This is about to get more true in the next few years as the M2 goes through an LCI for the 2026MY with rumors of the addition of xDrive just like it's G80/G82 M3/M4 brethren.