• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse Key Fob

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
If they integrate ‘so much tech’ they should get rid of the key as well… Well, don’t get rid of the key but make it optional… Just give us the option to use our smartphones and a proper app to do all kind of stuff with the car e.g. drive slowly forward and backward (maybe slightly steering the car from outside while using its non-existing cameras?! ;) ), start, stop the car, heating/ventilation and such… My three year old BMW has it as standard (except starting the car)…

Why do I have to have a ‘key’ on me all the time when all I do is pushing a button… I love turning the key in our older cars but since the engine start is downgraded to the push of a button I have zero need for a useless key in my pocket.

OP
OP
zstanny

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
I think you underestimate the number of people that would be left unable to start their car because they either are without their phone, or their battery is too low. But I hear ya. My neighbor has no house key. It’s an electronic lock that he can change the code via his phone. Only worry with that is hacking.

If they integrate ‘so much tech’ they should get rid of the key as well… Well, don’t get rid of the key but make it optional… Just give us the option to use our smartphones and a proper app to do all kind of stuff with the car e.g. drive slowly forward and backward (maybe slightly steering the car from outside while using its non-existing cameras?! ;) ), start, stop the car, heating/ventilation and such… My three year old BMW has it as standard (except starting the car)…

Why do I have to have a ‘key’ on me all the time when all I do is pushing a button… I love turning the key in our older cars but since the engine start is downgraded to the push of a button I have zero need for a useless key in my pocket.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Facial recognition for the starter. You have a key fob, but only use it to set up the vehicle. Who wants to carry their phone around where ever they go?

Theft PROOF!

Edit: although if the car knows it was you driving and then also has a lot of memory and communication abilities - I can see where that might not be the greatest thing.

Edit 2: "Hey can I borrow your car?" "Sorry no it uses facial recognition. Only I can drive it."

Perfect excuse.

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Or it will be like the Mach-e key 😂😷😁🤓

3A37777E-D4D9-4399-B1FB-9AE2F483DD6C.jpeg
Even if this isn't the direction Ford goes in it shouldn't be harder to make the DH key look like this. Just swap the battery covers and you're straight.

Personally I didn't even know that Mach E keys could look like this, maybe I haven't been paying attention 👀

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
Even if this isn't the direction Ford goes in it shouldn't be harder to make the DH key look like this. Just swap the battery covers and you're straight.

Personally I didn't even know that Mach E keys could look like this, maybe I haven't been paying attention 👀
The mach-e key is more or less the same as the regular Mustang key

Apart from having a frunk button 😂
S650 Mustang Dark Horse Key Fob 58AA27BF-24B7-42A3-BCD2-A85BCE17C440

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The mach-e key is more or less the same as the regular Mustang key

Apart from having a frunk button 😂
58AA27BF-24B7-42A3-BCD2-A85BCE17C440.jpeg
Oh no I knew they were effectively the same key, I meant I didn't know the ME key had a black horse on it. Everyone I've seen had a silver one 😄

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
While I'd probably count myself among the people that don't really care that much, it is nice when the key fob lives up to how special the car is... If nothing else, it's a conversation piece, but when you think about it, you probably spend more time with the key fob than you do with the car lol. It's nice when my GT4 fob comes out of my pocket, and I see that Porsche silhouette, and reminded of the badass ride I have waiting for me outside. (Although Porsche's fobs aren't THAT great either)

Is a key fob ever going to be the difference between buying/not buying a car? No, but it's a nice touch that probably has some unconscious correlation to brand loyalty...

Ford has some really weird priorities as to what gets a special keyfob
Shelby models get a special fob, which makes sense, but not Bullitt or Mach 1
the Explorer and Edge ST get a special keyfob, though
I would hardly call the Shelby fob "special". The Shelby snake is cool and all, but it still has the exact same shitty layout and cheap build quality as the other Mustang fobs of the time.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I really prefer the older fobs over the new ones. The new fobs are just as fat, bloated and oversized as the vehicles Ford makes. Is this progress?

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I really prefer the older fobs over the new ones. The new fobs are just as fat, bloated and oversized as the vehicles Ford makes. Is this progress?
Same, but I do admit the new ones feel solid as a bank vault by comparison

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Same, but I do admit the new ones feel solid as a bank vault by comparison
Just what I want to carry in my pants pocket all day - a bank vault.

I agree with what you are saying that a big heavy item feels like it has quality - whether or not the item actually has quality.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Just what I want to carry in my pants pocket all day - a bank vault.

I agree with what you are saying that a big heavy item feels like it has quality - whether or not the item actually has quality.
I meant the actual quality, not the weight lol

My 15 GT fobs disintegrated by the 4-5 year mark, the aluminum accents peeled off and the back casing would pop off because the latch wore down

Regardless I get your point, it’s a brick by dimensions
Sponsored