• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

(Dark)Horse Horsepower is lower than we thought?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Is torque measured in feet pounds or meters?
But even in the same country, people assume different because of the lack of knowledge and because of the commercial way of manufacturers to advertise power.

Kids start from small to talk about horses and the only thing they know is, the higher the number, the more powerfull it is.

So when a kid says to another kid that their Mustang is 500 horses and the other kid says that his father has a BMW with 450 horses, the look of this would be that the BMW has less horses.

With the American way, you will never know how much horses you actually make unless you put it on the dyno.
which makes the kids response even more interesting if little beats big.
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
S650 GT

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
Hp is calculated from torque
The torque in Newtonmeters of Pound-feet does not matter. The power stays the same. Only the numbers are different.

The difference we are talking about is that Americans measure BHP and Europeans WHP.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The difference we are talking about is that Americans measure BHP and Europeans WHP.
Are we assuming Europeans chassis dyno each variant and publish accordingly or do they walk back into a number based upon an engine dyno and then calculate the various driveline losses. Which would make even the same model susceptible to variances and untruthful window stickers?

OP
OP
S650 GT

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
Are we assuming Europeans chassis dyno each variant and publish accordingly or do they walk back into a number based upon an engine dyno and then calculate the various driveline losses. Which would make even the same model susceptible to variances and untruthful window stickers?
WHP vs BHP.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
S650 GT

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
What are the parameters used to calculate
I already explained WHP en BHP in the beginning of the post.

WHP is the power that it makes to the wheels.
BHP is the power that it makes at the crank.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I already explained WHP en BHP in the beginning of the post.

WHP is the power that it makes to the wheels.
BHP is the power that it makes at the crank.
So it appears it’s not that difficult to recognize the difference after all.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I started this thread because horsepower is something very confusing.

There reason why this is confusing, is because there are so many factors to take into account.

I'm from Europe and I'm an American muscle car fan.

Many American car manufacturers advertise BHP,

but they don't tell you this.

Many European car manufacturers advertise with WHP

This to me feels like a scam.

All those numbers just to look good, but in fact you get almost 100HP less than what they advertised.
Sounds more like you actually get what they advertise.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
I started this thread because horsepower is something very confusing.
There reason why this is confusing, is because there are so many factors to take into account.

I'm from Europe and I'm an American muscle car fan. Huge engines with huge amount of power.. that's what they said..

You have Brake Horsepower (BHP) and Wheel Horsepower (WHP). This is what most of us know.
- BHP refers to the power generated and measured at the crankshaft just outside the engine.
- WHP is measured at the wheels.

Many American car manufacturers advertise BHP, but they don't tell you this.
Many European car manufacturers advertise with WHP and they also don't tell you this, but it's logical to advertise the power you get on the wheels.
(But not in the US LOL).

So now you have two cars for example.
- Ford Mustang Dark Horse (500HP)
- BMW M2 (453HP)

The M2 outperforms the Dark Horse. Not only because of the weight, but also because it has more power.

When putting both cars on the dyno, the Dark Horse makes 408 HP (Steeda) and 420 WHP (another video I saw) instead of the 500HP.
The BMW M2 makes even a bit more power on the dyno what BMW advertised.

Now it gets even more confusing.

Example:

You live in the States and you decide to buy 2 cars from your local dealership.
You go look at the BMW M2 and it says 500HP. You test it on the dyno and it makes 500HP.
You go look at a Mustang and it says 500HP. You test it on the dyno and it makes 415HP.

This to me feels like a scam.

All those numbers just to look good, but in fact you get almost 100HP less than what they advertised.
You are talking about measurements. You have different countries with different measurements. It's neither countries fault its just how they measure stuff. For example we use miles they use kilometers. So there is a difference it's not that they do it to trick us. However they tell you what it means before you buy. Just like we use pound feet and they use Newton meters. It's simply that the measurement system is different.

OP
OP
S650 GT

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
You are talking about measurements. You have different countries with different measurements. It's neither countries fault its just how they measure stuff. For example we use miles they use kilometers. So there is a difference it's not that they do it to trick us. However they tell you what it means before you buy. Just like we use pound feet and they use Newton meters. It's simply that the measurement system is different.
No, your comparison is wrong.

100 km/h is equivalent to 62.14 miles an hour.

The speed is the same, the measurement is not the same.

30 Celcius degrees is the equivalent to 86 Fahrenheit, but the heat temperature is the same.

The difference here is that WHP is measured on the wheels and BHP is measured on the crank.

BMW measures the real power the car makes on the wheels.
Ford measures a power that we can't use.

Both cars are advertised as HP. But US cars don't tell you that their HP is BHP and not the real WHP what every car guy wants to know.
In this case, Ford uses this trick to make things look larger than it actually is.

This is also the reason why so many people are not happy with the dyno numbers on the Dark Horse.
Sponsored