• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Daily driver suggestions between 25-30k

TheCur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wild Cherry Tintcoat ZL1 M6
I haven't had a job where I commuted over 23 miles RT since 1979 and only then because I received a mileage allowance. On that commute, I wore out my 1977 PInto in 18 months plus my stress levels were through the roof. I said no more and moved closer to my job. My 15-year Mustang (that I have had since it was new) is a daily driver and has less than 96K miles. The only part that looks bad is the windshield and it is full of pits.
My last position was a 45 minute ride, but about 50 if you went the back roads with maybe 1 stop light. Great drive at 6AM in the C7 / Camaro. Did not mind it at all.

Then my employer bought another company and I moved closer to home. 10 miles / 12-15 minutes, tops. I kind of miss the driving, to be honest. MrsTheCur is about to go from a 5.5 mile commute, to a 1.2 mile commute as they are opening a new place literally around the corner. If she wasn't so in love with her Audi TT convertible, I'd strongly consider going EV for her.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I dunno about "much better", the past couple generations of Civic Si have been truly impressive drivers cars. Honda's are almost universally praised for their manual's... Don't get offended, but it sounds like you haven't driven a Si lately or are just a big VW fanboy.

And when factoring in reliability I'd take a Honda over a VW every single time.

@OppoLock - I'm jealous, my "other" car needs to haul 2-3 ~130lb bullmastiffs or I'd love to get a Si. I'm looking at replacing our Infiniti M with a CX-5 or Outback. <sad trombone noises>

Definitely going to need some pics and seat time review.
It's been excellent so far! Just picked her up yesterday and took her out for a solid hour to get the break-in started and to dial in the way I like things set up. Steering is excellent; super accurate, enough feel to say it's not lifeless, really weighty and quick too. The suspension is passive and they have it dialed into exactly the kind of firmness I was hoping for. Brakes aren't noteworthy. The gearbox is freaking awesome except for the rev hang. I decided to leave rev-matching on because it's more or less flawless. The sound system is surprisingly good, excellent for the money even. The seats are awesome. There's a lot to love, and the engine is a two-sided situation... it makes comically non-existent power, like clearly less than a GTI but more than a standard Civic, but I'm getting WELL over 45mpg on the highway at 70mph and even with the way I was driving yesterday, like 50/50 normal/hoonigan, I averaged 35mpg... that's just insane.

I'll get some photos in the near future

So your daily driver was not a Mustang and never was considered a replacement vehicle? You must have a long daily commute.
Hell no, I would be broke lol. I used to daily drive my GT350 and would average 12mpg with commutes that could go up to 45 minutes one way.

I'm in a regional position in SFL so I have to drive anywhere between Jupiter to Miami depending on where I need to be in a given day, so fuel efficiency, reliability, and cruising creature comforts are critical factors.

Too lazy to redo the math. But in 2018, I drove 40 miles a day round trip. Factoring tires, oil changes, and gas, I saved over $200 a month by picking up a commuter. I’ve still got a commuter and it’s more than paid itself off.
Well now it’s not my commuter, it’s my daily bc I’ve got no fun car 😭

Edit: especially so when gas prices were wildly high
Exactly this. Also figure this will retain its value relatively well, so when the S650 rolls around, I'll likely ditch this guy, get an actual beater for <10k, and get back into a two-car situation.

Easy vote for the 2022 Mazda 3 with the turbo. Super practical and fun to drive
I love these things to death but it's so hard to find deals on these in SFL for some reason? I couldn't get a manual in the trim I wanted, let alone find one with an MT anywhere near me for that matter