• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

If you had to pick a new Explorer as a daily driver, which trim level would you prefer?

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
The Timberline trim is mighty appealing - off-road suspension shared with the Police Interceptor, underbody protection, all-terrain tires. However, the Timberline is only offered with the 2.3 EB (which is not a bad engine by any means).

With that said, in a vehicle the size of the Explorer, I would prefer more low-end grunt such as that provided by the 3.0 EB. As such, I'm kind of torn between the Timberline and the ST/Platinum trim levels. ST and Platinum offer the 3.0 EB, but have stiffer suspension, no underbody protection, and lower profile tires (which means a stiffer overall ride compared to the Timberline).

That's my take, and my decision to make. However, what trim level would you choose? Answer doesn't have to be limited to ST/Platinum and Timberline.
Sponsored

StangGang93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln MKZ Black Label
I would
The Timberline trim is mighty appealing - off-road suspension shared with the Police Interceptor, underbody protection, all-terrain tires. However, the Timberline is only offered with the 2.3 EB (which is not a bad engine by any means).

With that said, in a vehicle the size of the Explorer, I would prefer more low-end grunt such as that provided by the 3.0 EB. As such, I'm kind of torn between the Timberline and the ST/Platinum trim levels. ST and Platinum offer the 3.0 EB, but have stiffer suspension, no underbody protection, and lower profile tires (which means a stiffer overall ride compared to the Timberline).

That's my take, and my decision to make. However, what trim level would you choose? Answer doesn't have to be limited to ST/Platinum and Timberline.
I would say ST because of the sporty aesthetic and interior. I believe a refresh is coming for the 2023 model year, hopefully the front end is a little bit more aggressive.

Shelbeast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 and MME-GT
ST. Test drove and like it mostly. Do not like the early turbo lag though. How do comparative Mercedes SUVs not have lag, way less HP, but feel faster?

My Edge ST has over 300HP and for the price, can't beat it. It starts really cooking over 40MPH in sport. That turbo burn is frustrating.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I owned a Silver 2020 Explorer ST with the Street Pack (21" Wheels), Tech pack and the Glass roof for about 9 months. It was pretty quick for a daily, and it had a lot of features I liked. For its size it handled great, went to the ST Experience in Asheville and my friend and I had a blast!.
Things I did not care for:
1) The steering was stiff, and I always felt like it was fighting me, for a daily I really like a lighter feel, and it was not adjustable like my 2016 Mustang GT PP or 2018 Edge Sport (21" wheels).
2) The seats were not comfortable for my fat body, we took a 10 hour trip and by the time we got done I was very done sitting in it. Take my Tahoe and I can drive for days without an issue.
3) Every now and then it would hit the brakes for collision avoidance when I was changing lanes. Even though I was not going to hit another car. My wife's 2018 Edge is much better in this regard.
4) The auto highbeam option was nice, but sometimes it would flash oncoming traffic, again my wife's 2018 does not have this issue.

What I loved
1) For a sporty car I got really good MPG, it was not my goal, but I was very pleased, averaged about 22.5 City and Highway. I got as high as 26 for a round trip across the state..
2) It was quite quick.
3) I loved the features, the infotainment screen the digital dash modes, heated/cooled seats, massage seats.
4) I liked the adaptive cruise control, especially in stop & Go traffic
Sponsored